Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, obesity...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, obesity...

Old 04-25-16, 11:50 AM
Fred

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Trek 4100, Specialized Allez Elite, Kickr Snap

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I just saw a report on TV about childhood hypertension. We have been hearing about Type 2 diabetes and obesity in children for years.

So, old guys, is there anyone here who rides actively (multiple times per week with enough intensity that recovery is planned for) who has any of these problems?
I started riding primarily because I was diagnosed with hypertension and was told I was at risk for developing diabetes. All other exercise regimes had failed with me (in that I lost interest after a few months). This one stuck. It's been almost 10 years of riding 800 to 1000 miles a year -- I even did RAGBRAI in 2011. My glucose numbers are far better now, but my hypertension remains. And I suffered a heart attack last year due to a blocked artery. I'm no health expert but from what I understand exercise doesn't really help reduce blood cholesterol. Only diet and medication can do that. The cycling has definitely had a positive impact on my glucose numbers and my weight. Perhaps it has helped keep my blood pressure from getting worse, but it hasn't gotten me off the medication. If I doubled my cycling, maybe.