Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

School me on computers

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

School me on computers

Old 04-22-16, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
School me on computers

I am in the market for a new computer to use on every day rides (50 or less) and on longer rides up to 400K. I realize that the ideal computer for one of these uses will be deficient for the other use and accept that. I was looking at the Garmin 520. It seems it is capable of some turn by turn directions on longer rides if I added a preloaded course. iPhone can supplement if needed. The other alternative I see would be the Garmin 810 which is too big and overkill for regular use in my opinion. So, basically, and feedback on the 520 for a rando bike?
Old 04-22-16, 09:17 PM

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2013 Wilier La Triestina, 1997 Specialized Hardrock GX FS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't do nearly as well as 'DC Rainmaker' ..
The new Garmin Edge 520: Everything you ever wanted to know | DC Rainmaker

Below is an excerpt from his article:

The best way to think of this is that if you’re looking to be able to create directions on the fly during your ride, the Edge 810/1000 are far better options. But, if you just want to know where you are on the map and be able to zoom around to figure out where you’re going – this will work quite well.

Old 04-23-16, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sorry, wrong place, should have been posted in the long distance area
Old 04-23-16, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Personally, I find looking at the map and figuring where I am and how to get someplace on the smaller Garmin devices very difficult due to their screen's small size and low resolution. Whipping out the cell works a lot better. For the way I use them though, the 520 is great. You can create TCX files with embedded turn instructions on line and download them to the device. These will appear superimposed over maps that you can download to the device. The maps are purely for graphical display and not used by the device. Garmins with navigation capability (800, etc) use the map data to generate routes and turn instructions. This sounds good, but they don't generate the same routes that I would so I've basically never use this capability for my riding.
Old 04-23-16, 07:06 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Personally,This sounds good, but they don't generate the same routes that I would so I've basically never use this capability for my riding.
You can develop your own routes in Garmin Connect or RideWithGPS, port to the 800, 810 or 1000 and have the map and turn-by-turn directions on the device.
Old 04-23-16, 08:12 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Sigma Rox 10.0 .... much better than Garmin
Old 04-23-16, 10:20 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Some things just don't sound right together. Two of them are rules in a knife fight and computers on a bicycle.
Old 04-23-16, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Some things just don't sound right together. Two of them are rules in a knife fight and computers on a bicycle.
I heard that Garmin is developing a front and rear view camera system with sensors like what modern cars have to avoid crashes.

When your eye's are glued to the GPS map, a screen pop up showing you the rear of the truck you are about to run into at 16 mph. Likewise the rear view will show you the SUV about to run you over as you drifted into the traffic lane.

Yuk, Yuk, but a long term data addict now using a brand new Garmin 810, I could use this technology....