Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Denali Park Grizzly

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Denali Park Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 08:21 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
darn....beat me to a joking reference, but I can imagine that experience of ftomas was really quite something!
Yeah, that would make the 1898 thing seem quite understandable.
Old 04-28-16, 10:21 AM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Yeah, that would make the 1898 thing seem quite understandable.
That's the unit number. Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe 1898th Army National Guard would be better.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 04-28-16, 10:27 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by fthomas
That's the unit number. Why? I haven't a clue. Maybe 1898th Army National Guard would be better.
Glad you clarified. You might otherwise be our only WWI vet.
Old 04-28-16, 02:48 PM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Several years ago one of my back-packing friends sent me a link, with photos, to a story that took place in Alaska. A state or wildlife worker was attacked by a grizzly and fortunately for him, he was armed with a high caliber rifle and killed the bear. Such a bear has to be rare as it weighed 1500 lbs. and was 12' from top to bottom. If you were on the second story of a building, this bear could look right in the window at you. In the photo, a front paw is being held up and it is as big as a pizza platter or as wide as the persons shoulder. The claws are 3-4 inches long and would work fine as earth moving equipment. Going from memory, this animal is called Ursus Orribilus and the name is apt. While such an animal is truly fearsome, from memory again, the number of attacks and deaths is worryingly high. Just last year a hiker was attacked and killed in New Jersey.
Old 04-28-16, 02:56 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Great video--For sure I will not complain about my occasional squirrel crossing my path!
Old 04-28-16, 06:55 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
Cool! Seeing mountain lions is rare. We have them in Taos, but fortunately minimal interactions with humans. I saw a mother bear with cubs when riding near the Delaware Water Gap in NJ. Don't think I'd want to see a grizzly.
I saw a cougar/mountain lion, in Oregon, about halfway up the coast. I didn't appreciate how rare that was, until I saw a nature show on TV discussing them. They said "normally", the cat stays hidden, avoiding humans completely. I think mine was fairly young, and not expecting a dummy like me.
Old 04-28-16, 07:03 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
In Washington state, I met a girl from Alaska (Innuit, I think she said), who told me her family sometimes met bears while out picking blackberries. Apparently, that's what the bears were doing too, & since there were plenty of berries, there were no problems. She could easily have been pulling my leg, but I didn't get that vibe from her. It sure made me think.
Old 04-28-16, 07:31 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Did my third ride of the season (pre-tourist) in Denali today with my wife. This is a short teaser of three grizzly we saw. They came up and crossed the road about 75feet behind us. No idea what made them run. It's a cheap video camera zoomed way in and hand held but it is what it is. Fantastic day and this isn't even the best footage of the day.

https://www.facebook.com/bud.kuenzli...07680171423067

I lived in Kodiak for three years and had a few interesting encounters with bears. There's an almost romantic quality to roaming the dominion of Ursus, knowing that you don't reign supreme. I was fortunate to be able to honeymoon in AK two summers ago. We spent part of that time in Denali. I was going to rent a bike, but it rained the entire time we were there and I wasn't outfitted to deal with it. Cool video, thanks for sharing. I love Alaska. A part of my soul resides there. Clips like yours feed that part of my soul. Share that best footage.
Old 04-29-16, 12:40 AM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I lived in Kodiak for three years and had a few interesting encounters with bears. There's an almost romantic quality to roaming the dominion of Ursus, knowing that you don't reign supreme. I was fortunate to be able to honeymoon in AK two summers ago. We spent part of that time in Denali. I was going to rent a bike, but it rained the entire time we were there and I wasn't outfitted to deal with it. Cool video, thanks for sharing. I love Alaska. A part of my soul resides there. Clips like yours feed that part of my soul. Share that best footage.
Thanks Paul. On a recent solo trip my Osmo had an incorrect setting and I lost a lot of video so I'm combining that trip with my most recent trip with my wife. We got a lot of good footage but it's going to result in a much longer video than I'd normally make. Hopefully some folks will be foolish enough to watch the whole thing. Near the top of Polychrome a group of 9 dall sheep walked right past us. I'll post it when it's done.