Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

pacemaker and heart rate monitor

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

good morning

been trying all morning to get a new nike heart rate monitor to work. i get readings all over from 41 to 214. i know the pacemaker controls the beat from 70 to a max of 150. has anyone ever used a montor with a pacemaker.
thanks
Old 05-22-05, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You need to check with the facility that monitors your pacemaker, and check with Nike about the monitor, to make sure the signal from the monitor isn't interferring with the pacemaker. I was finally told by a new hospital(switched to the V.A.), that it;s no problem if I do this. I haven't got the monitor yet, but at booths at races, the monitor people all tell me not to get one.
If the monitor signal isn't interferring with your pacemaker, then it sounds like the monitor isn't set right yet. I've also heard of people needing to use a gel to get good contact.
If you're heartbeat went below the low setting for your pacemaker, then it should have recorded that in memory, and they will find that the next time they check and reset it. Remember the date this happened. If it didn't record it, then you'll know it's the monitor not set right. Heck, take the monitor with you next time you go to the pacemaker clinic. They can set you up with both operating, using the EKG machine for accuracy. Most Docs love it when we exercise the heart regularly.
Old 05-23-05, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello...........called the pacemaker company this morning to discuss the problem. the polar heart rate monitors work fine with a guidant pacemaker. must keep the transmiter at least 6 inchs from the pacemaker. the new nike that i had just purchased will not work. a suunto will not work either.
rode a qwik 20 miles tonight and everything seemed to be correct. now just have to learn how to ride and get a good workout by useing the heart rate monitor.
thanks