Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nutrition Over 50

I recently stumbled across a really good article on the web. It's aimed at most athletes over 50 but I think its intention was for bodybuilders. However I think many people will findthe information quite useful indeed. The link is at special foods for over 50's. What do people think?

My Bikes
    05 Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting the article. Actually it said over 40...so that includes me! I'm consuming most of these either every day or almost every day. But I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a great website with discount flax seed and walnuts to order online. That stuff is hard to find around where I live or at least that I can afford. Are there cost-effective solutions online for these things? And what exactly is a black currant? Is that like a raisin? I've never had one of those.
    Allie

My Bikes
    05 Specialized Allez
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more quick question about walnuts. Does anyone know for sure which is the best one, not for taste, but for nutritional value: black walnuts or english walnuts? roasted, no salt, correct? THANKS!
    Allie

Has opinion, will express
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black currants are a small black berry with a very dark red flesh, very high in vitamin C. There are a cool temperate climate fruit. They measure about a quarter of an inch or so in diameter.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    black currants - one of gods most delicious creations
    if i ever move to england, the availability of black currants will be a deciding factor

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    black currants - one of gods most delicious creations
    if i ever move to england, the availability of black currants will be a deciding factor
    They may grow well in the UK, but you rarely see them for sale. If you want them that much then you have to grow them yourself, but then you should be able to do that anywhere.

On the listing I note that eggs are on there.One big NO-NO for any one required to be on a low cholesterol diet.

Unfortunately, if you do an energy using sport, like cycling, then you have to look at your dietary requirements as dictated by age or health or doctors, and sort one out for yourself. Requiring a low cholesterol diet, I attempt to eat as much Fruit and veg as possible, and then add the protein and carbs as I need them. Luckily weight is not a problem, so plenty of carbs for me most of the time. How I love those big french cheese and onion Sandwiches after a couple of hours down at the gym. Or if I'm feeling Lazy- a Chicken Kebab with plenty of mixed salad to go with it. Almost makes a trip to the gym enjoyable.

My Bikes
    C'dale - R600 / Santana tandem / Giant MB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, this is my first reply/post to the site but have been reading regularly and enjoying the many topics discussed. After reding the post above regarding eggs and cholesterol I just could not stay silent! Last June I made it to the big 50 mark in life and have recently returned to biking after a long 9-10 year absence. I'm getting back into it nicely!

I am not ready to give into the cholesterol lowering drugs just because the medical community has determined that I should be. So my wife and I have been doing a lot of digging for information on the 'other' side of the issue just to see what 'they' might be saying. As you might imagine, it's quite different than what we hear the 'talking heads' on the evening news speak of! If you are at this 'crossroads' I'd highly recommend you do some digging as well.

Here's a link to start with. Take a look....

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cho...ol_myth_1.html

Dale

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a complete, typical listing of my intake - high fibre & omega-3's, low salt. Throw in a couple of glasses of wine from time to time and variations due to business travel. This is from a day in January, but I've eaten exactly the same stuff so far today (before supper). I shop at Wegmans, and everything is easy to find. Sorry for length of post.

Breakfast ½ Cup Wessex Oatmeal
    2 tbsp Wheat Bran
    1 tbsp Flax Seed Meal
    2 tbsp Honey
    ¼ Cup Blueberries
    6 oz. Soy Drink
    2 Cups Coffee
    1 Multi-Vitamin
    1 Low Strength Aspirin

Lunch 1 Chicken Breast
    1 Cup Salad Greens w/ pepper
    3 Slices Tomato
    5 Small pieces Broccoli
    1 tbsp. Olive Oil
    1 tbsp. Vinegar
    5 1” sq. pieces watermelon
    8 Oz. Water

Snack 8 oz. White Tea
    ½ tsp. Honey

Supper 6 oz. Tilapia pan-fried in 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
    1 Cup Salad Greens w/ almonds & walnuts
    2 Roma Tomatoes
    1 Cup Hash Browns w/ garlic, olive oil & Roma tomatoes
    8 oz. Water
    Bread

Snack 8 Carr’s Water Crackers
    4 oz. Goat Cheese w/ Cranberries & Cinnamon

scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terex, you don't take any supplements?

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    breakfast: steel cut oats w/ wheat germ & flaxseed; 3 fresh fruits in season (grapefruit, bananas, apples, pears, etc.); lentil sprouts
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge
    Terex, you don't take any supplements?

The requirement for any supplements in the diet, I am convinced is purely a mental thing on behalf of certain people. If you eat normal food and with the variety of normal food, then I cannot see the need for any supplements. My diet does change in various parts of the year, depenfing on the training needs, or lack of training that I am doing. At this time of the year, my "Cravings" for certain types of food seem to tell me what my body will need. After a couple of hours at the Gym, or after a long ride, I want Carbo hydrates. At other times, I want fresh fruit and salads or more protein.

So far My life has always involved a lot of sporting activity, and I have never taken a supplement to my diet. Unless it is going to be prescribed by a doctor, I am not going to take a chemically enhanced man-made substance that my body just does not need. Even if it does say Full of vitamin C and other Natural Products"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of supplements are you talkin' about? The aspirin and the multivitamin are about it. I'm still tinkering with my ride fuel. Usually Balance bars and regular Gatoraid with water. The "endurance" Gatoraid appears to just add extra sodium - which I'm trying to avoid, other than the minimum amount appropriate to my level of activity. Also I usually have pre- and post ride bananas. My wife is a Doctor of Pharmacy as of this coming August (already has BS Pharmacy, MS Drug Information Science and multiple certifications - consultant pharmacist, diabetic consult credentials, etc., etc.). We're a "the fewer drugs the better" kind of family. Be thankful for the ones you really need, and skip all the others. The lack of purity, dosage control, etc. with "supplements" or "natural aids" is always troublesome. My diet is well balanced, and I make modest adjustments based on enjoyment, quality/availability and perceived health benefits. I spend a premium for the highest quality fresh foods and really think "supplements" have no place in my diet.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice list, but where was the salami and provolone cheese sandwiches? I eat most of the stuff on the list, but I'm a little light on the flax seeds. What the hell is Hebs?
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100