Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Awesome weather here in Central New York

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 04:20 PM

Bikes: Sun Eco Tadpole SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's great to get out and ride a bike, even tho it's a recumbent I just love getting out and today was perfect weather for it too!
Old 05-11-16, 08:11 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Recumbents are bikes too, no need to "even tho" about it. I read the title too fast and thought it said Central Park in New York; yikes I must be getting old.

I'm sure Central New York is much nicer and a lot larger!

I rode to work and back today; 57 F in the morning 77 in the afternoon here in Los Angeles area. Only 19 miles round trip but much better than nothing.

Rick / OCRR
Old 05-12-16, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
A large part of the country had sucky weather for the last soulless weeks. The mid Atlantic has 12 days of rain. The middle of the country now is experiencing temps 20 degrees below average.
Old 05-12-16, 01:44 PM

Bikes: s-1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Almost 80 in Buffalo today! I commuted and got an extra 14 miles at lunch. I'll be at 107 miles or so for the week after my ride home, first 100+ week of the season! Gotta love it!
Old 05-12-16, 01:56 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
81 in Rahchacha this afternoon. Warmest day of the year, so far.

Just from commuting this week my glove and sock tanlines are coming back. The others are all permatan lines, so it's nice to see something happening.
Old 05-12-16, 02:34 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Get ready for a change, sorry.
Old 05-12-16, 06:03 PM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Get ready for a change, sorry.
It's going to be spitting snow up here on Saturday.
Old 05-18-16, 04:27 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Well, here in the PA nubbin, it's around 60 F, heading for the 70s next week. I cut the grass for the 2nd time this year, and as a reward, the Fedex guy dropped off my new-to-me '85 Trek 620. Life is good, for today at least.
Old 05-18-16, 04:55 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Glorious week this week here on the North Coast.

Sunny with a light breeze coming off the lake that's keeping things in the upper 50s for my mid-afternoon commute home. It's my favorite conditions--sunny, light winds, 50s.

My springtime work is starting to pay off as I can feel the early season form coming on. Given my history, that feeling of coming on form--when climbs suddenly feel easy, when speed comes on as easily as turning a dial--it makes me feel truly grateful for life, for cycling, and for finally figuring out how it all works.

Throw in my favorite conditions, and even my daily commute feels magical.
Old 05-18-16, 05:15 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
94°F right now... gonna make for a sweaty ride up The Mountain.
Old 05-20-16, 01:10 AM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl

Sunny with a light breeze coming off the lake that's keeping things in the upper 50s for my mid-afternoon commute home. It's my favorite conditions--sunny, light winds, 50s.

My springtime work is starting to pay off as I can feel the early season form coming on. Given my history, that feeling of coming on form--when climbs suddenly feel easy, when speed comes on as easily as turning a dial--it makes me feel truly grateful for life, for cycling, and for finally figuring out how it all works.

My wife is from Rochester (Brighton actually) and remembers snow for Mother's Day. That's why we live in Hawaii now. But today was the first hot day of the year (per my Garmin ave temp 89 max 99). Note that in Hawaii the ambient air temp might not be that bad, but in the direct sun -- look out.

scott s.
Old 05-21-16, 03:42 AM

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.4d, 2011 Trek 3500 MTB, 2013 Trek Mamba 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought that was you!

hrd rck is actually more for my Jeep, but I do enjoy the music reference as well, being a musician.

My route was a Bike to Work effort. I live near Northgate Plaza in Greece, and I traveled Lake Avenue to cross the river at Ford Street. I followed the river bike trails to my job in Brighton. Detour on the path near W. Henrietta Road was a bummer. I traveled Westfall Road instead. 13.32 miles.

Gasp, I was seen by a BF member riding the sidewalk! I'll get over it. Glad to connect with another bicycling enthusiast.

My regular routes are in Charlotte around Turning Point, Irondequoit, Greece 390 trail and the parkway trail. I may not see you on my bike, but you might see my Jeep!

I enjoyed commuting by bike for a day. It took some planning to accomplish, but I am considering incorporating future commutes into my cycling.

Great Chatting with you.

Steve Arnold
454britton@gmail.com

Originally Posted by tsl

Old 05-21-16, 08:18 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

To fill in the gap for everyone else, hrd rck saw me commuting to work yesterday. Must be the sunglasses. Otherwise I look like any other mouthbreather on a bike.

Originally Posted by hrd rck
I thought that was you!

I enjoyed commuting by bike for a day. It took some planning to accomplish, but I am considering incorporating future commutes into my cycling.

Great Chatting with you.
Seeing you on the sidewalk doesn't lower my opinion of you. There's more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. And 26 miles R/T is nothing to sneeze at. Bravo!

The offer to meet up was genuine. Write or call sometime. Moving the rest of my reply to email.
Old 05-21-16, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
TSL, is the canal path closed at E Henriette rd?
Old 05-21-16, 10:11 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by Gyro
TSL, is the canal path closed at E Henriette rd?
Yes. They're replacing the East Hen bridge over the canal and don't want to drop anything on passing cyclists.

Heading eastbound, the posted detour takes you off on the west side of East Hen. It has you cross at the County Hospital / Costco driveway, then use sidewalks to Westfall, then downhill to Sawgrass, through that medical park on Sawgrass to the little stub of bike path that then connects back with the Canalway. There are always mud puddles there, so fenders are a plus. To keep the mess off the bike, I stay on Westfall to Clinton.

You can use the same on the way back--Sawgrass, sidewalk on the south side of Westfall, to the sidewalk on the east side of East Hen, crossing to the west side at Costco.

However, they really don't want two-way bike traffic on the narrow sidewalk--especially on the hill--so the posted westbound detour, and my personal preference, uses the road on Westfall past West Hen where it changes names to Westmoreland, and continues to Kendrick near the Ronald McDonald House. (Peds they direct back to the canal on West Hen.)

In fact, I use this both ways to avoid the whole mess on East Hen. It's nasty, especially during rush hour when it completely gridlocks. Besides, I feel safer in the road than on the sidewalk, but feel better on a less-travelled road like Westfall than on something like East Hen.

You can zoom in on this section on this alternate commuting route I suggested to hrd rck: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13873405

Hope this helps!

Last edited by tsl; 05-21-16 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-21-16, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 49 Posts
Thanks TSl. I was by there in the car the other day and wondered about that. Is it going to be closed all summer?
Old 05-21-16, 02:21 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by Gyro
Thanks TSl. I was by there in the car the other day and wondered about that. Is it going to be closed all summer?
Yes. The completion date specified in the contract is September 22, with things "substantially" completed by August 28. According to the Access390 web site, the project is on time and on budget.

Part of what makes it take so long is keeping the bridge open while it's being replaced. They essentially have to do the job twice--once for southbound, and again for northbound.
Old 05-21-16, 02:34 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The weather here today is lousy. Rain with a high of 60. Not that I am complaining, I rode all week so I needed a nap day. That made it perfect weather in SW Ohio today
Old 05-21-16, 03:12 PM
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by baron von trail
The weather here today is lousy. Rain with a high of 60. Not that I am complaining, I rode all week so I needed a nap day. That made it perfect weather in SW Ohio today
I haven't seen any actual rain yet, but yeah, it's been overcast here too today. Just being lazy today, lol, and watched Quicksilver yet again on the tube, so not a total loss.
Old 05-21-16, 05:50 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts