Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lost my desire to cycle:(

I want to keep riding cause at one time a enjoyed it so much.Maybe I need to just take off for a while or buy a new more comfortable bike.
    But, after 4 years of cycling I cant seem to drag myself out the door to ride. Now this is from a guy 56 years old that has ridden 18000+ miles and avg 140 miles a week for the first couple of years. I ride a Giant TCR Alum w full ultegra and it is a very rough ride which could contribute to my new found lack of enthusiasm. i have done a couple of centurys(Hotr N Hell) in 03 but started slacking back to 100 miles per week in 04 then this year Im down to 40 a week and actually havent ridden but 10 in the last 2 weeks.
    Have some of you gone though this. Is it just a phase ?Do i need to just take off for a while and maybe my interest will come back.

Knows Bigfoot's Momma
    My Bikes
    yeah; got a couple...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Switch your components over to a comfy Waterford RS series steel frame... Longer wheelbase & more relaxed frame angles. I know lots of folks don't like the image of anything less than a "full race" road bike, but I think you'll go faster and want to ride more if you're comfortable.
    nice lugs baby!

My Bikes
    Connondale MTB, Malvern Star (historic) Orbea, GT (newest)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
    Switch your components over to a comfy Waterford RS series steel frame... Longer wheelbase & more relaxed frame angles. I know lots of folks don't like the image of anything less than a "full race" road bike, but I think you'll go faster and want to ride more if you're comfortable.
    I was in a similar situation late last year having ridden a C/Dale MTB for around four years socially. It got a bit boring so I dragged my old '87 steel road bike from the shed and started riding a road bike again. Early this year I joined the Vets and started racing road, I'm 64. I'm having so much fun with all the new stuff and new people, bought a new bike, training hard, all just too good, I'm re-born.
    The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a couple of serious medical problems in a couple of years,I got back to riding as quick as I could. Problem was that mentally I had a reason to be at the back of the group, why should I push up the hills, and I could not be bothered to do the milage. I almost gave up, but in December 2002 I set myself a target, and that was to do a ride in June 2003. This was going to be hard. I had done the ride before in 94/5/6/7 and in 98 chickened out and was the back up for the rest of my group that did it. To then do it 7 years later was not only going to be a challenge- It was going to take a lot of training to achieve.

I knuckled down and put in the training, extra rides in the week, sessions down the gym, and worked harder on the rides. Boy was that hard, but I was surprised that it was not fitness I was lacking, it was mental attitude. That gradually came back but it was a struggle.

June 2004 and we did the ride. WE? I did it on the Tandem and I can assure you that it is no easier on a Tandem. In fact as it was pointed out to us at the start- No Tandem had finished this ride before. Plenty had started but none had finished. Suffice it to say- we did finish the ride. 100 miles offroad, 10,000ft of climbing and only 15 hours of daylight to do it in. Not too bad a time either, but it did hurt- on the ride and afterwards.

June 2004 did it again and in my best time ever- 12 hours. June 2005 and I am going to do it again

Set yourself a target- not an easy one and go for it. It will be kill or cure, but one thing is certain- you will not have given up without a struggle

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was close to where you're at this past November. I took 1-2 months off for as much of a mental break as anything-not to mention my bike was in the shop/at the factory getting repaired. Lots of factors created my reduced desire-bike damage, miles ridden that year, fellow cyclists injured from accidents, etc. Now I'm more juiced than ever to ride. In my case, an epic ride route change rekindled the spark and desire to ride and I am now riding more than ever. So, don't beat yourself up or feel bad or too concerned about taking some time off. Let's face it, you really have to want to ride to ride 100+ miles a week.

I would agree that comfort makes a world of difference-I've been down that road as well. I originally started with an aluminum frame and chromoly fork and the longer rides just wore me out from all the road "noise". I now ride carbon and can go 50% longer because of the increased comfort factor. I don't know if that is the answer for you but thought I'd offer my experience.

I've also found I get motivated by doing different rides, events & routes as well. I recently drove 3 states away to do a ride that turned out to be one of the most enjoyable I've ever done and has also added more spark to the riding. Also, we have time trials in the area and I do those just because it's a different type of event.

Another unrelated example-I've been a golfer for 40+ years versus a cyclist for 4. Last month I played in a tournament and played the worst golf in 30 years (no practice and have been riding a lot more than playing golf). I literally lost the desire to play golf after those rounds and this is from someone that could have played 2 rounds a day, 7 days a week if time and money were not an issue. Well, after a month break, yesterday I went out and shot a 2 over par round and now have some enthusiasm back for the next round.

Don't feel like you're the only one out that is struggling with the motivation. It hits us all at one point or another. I'm betting your enthusiasm will return--just let it take it's natural course.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not competitive in my bicycling, but instead use bicycling as a time to reconvene my thoughts and my soul. I think we all have a different take on bicycling, from the highly competitive to the "ride around the park'r."

I try to find new routes to explore, and make each ride a new adventure. Sometimes I will take my camera and take pics of all the flowers I see along the way, and I share them here and on my web page. No one sees them or cares, but it makes my day more interesting. Or the trails, or animals or whatever. Sometimes I will go as fast as I can, other times I will cruise as in a Cadillac. In other words, I try to make each ride an adventure, a new take on life, a time of rejuvenation.

If bicycling ever became a "chore" I would have to stop.

I am purposely not tracking my mileage this year, although I tracked it meticulously last year. Again, a new adventure, a new way of bicycling, to me adds zest.

I have been riding another bicycle this year a lot more - just a cheap steel bike I got for $285 new on EBay, but it is different and new.

Variety, a new aspect, a new trail, a new road, a new viewpoint, a new bike.

Hope you find your way out of the doldrums.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I didn't commute and run errands, I doubt whether I would ride at all. In fact, I know I wouldn't -- my first bike sat, ridden maybe once a year, for five years -- until I realized it could be the solution to my parking problems. I'd suggest trying to see whether you can find something useful to do with your bike.

It is also possible that you have simply "burned out" and need to do an easy 50 miles or so a week for a while.

Paul

My Bikes
    Electra Townie 21D, Fuji Saratoga 1.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe take some time off from the bike and do some other things outdoors. Or maybe consider something totally new and different: "get bent"!
    The bike for you is the one you will ride!

My Bikes
    Too many and not ENOUGH!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just need a break from the heavy training! Time to change your "focus", tincan!!

Keep your "cycling legs" (and "butt" ) from atrophying by using the bike for those "little errands in town", commuting (if the distance is relatively short--no 40-mile a day round trips!), or simply "pootling-around" as our British friends might say.

If you do not want to use the "thoroughbred" bike for this (and, you most likely WON'T!), get yourself a...dare I say it?.. beach cruiser to handle this job! These are not at all expensive, and you might find yourself, say, a "nice" Schwinn Typhoon or the like, at the "garage sales" that pop up like mushrooms this time of year.

The tool for the job, I always say!!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day at work!!

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thx for the advice, I'm heading out the door to do some morning riding maybe if a do morning rides for a change it will be more interesting than going in the afternoon every time. if this doesnt work i'm getting out the old Mtn Bike. I just gotta ride!

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tincan
    I want to keep riding cause at one time a enjoyed it so much.Maybe I need to just take off for a while or buy a new more comfortable bike.
    But, after 4 years of cycling I cant seem to drag myself out the door to ride. Now this is from a guy 56 years old that has ridden 18000+ miles and avg 140 miles a week for the first couple of years. I ride a Giant TCR Alum w full ultegra and it is a very rough ride which could contribute to my new found lack of enthusiasm. i have done a couple of centurys(Hotr N Hell) in 03 but started slacking back to 100 miles per week in 04 then this year Im down to 40 a week and actually havent ridden but 10 in the last 2 weeks.
    Have some of you gone though this. Is it just a phase ?Do i need to just take off for a while and maybe my interest will come back.
    Have you had your testosterone levels checked? Lower levels will lead to those kinds of feelings.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coromandel Peninsula North Island New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Giant Yukon MTB ex-EBay planning to upgrade one day if I get the urge.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a riding buddy.... join a club that has a seniors section.

Motivation gets to be a problems as the years roll on. It' tougher on your own.

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brigadon
    Get a riding buddy.... join a club that has a seniors section.

Motivation gets to be a problems as the years roll on. It' tougher on your own.
    If you join the "seniors" section in my club, you had better be ready for some serious hammering!!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

Don't Believe the Hype RiPHRaPH's Avatar
    My Bikes
    1999 Steelman SR525, 2002 Lightspeed Ultimate, 1988 Trek 830, 2008 Scott Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    people interact with their environment everyday. different pressures, factors contribute to differing feelings. sometimes you have to listen to your body, sometimes you have to listen to your mind. it seems as if your physical and mental sides are not in cync with each other.

it may be too simplistic to suggest that all it takes is new equipment (new bartape is always a cheap way to get out there again<!!>)

you list your past milages, but you didn't mention how you enjoyed those 18,000+ miles. were you luke warm to it to begin with and rode because you enjoyed the company of others, etc. or were you always excited to be out there?

change of scenery might help. in the mean time, cross-train. good training, plus you can rotate rides into your exercise program.
    I have enough words to get me into trouble, but not enough to get me out of trouble.

Wes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is what I do when I am un-motavated:

(1) Get out the door. That is the hard part. After a few miles its usually fun.

(2) I dont THINK about doing it - or not doing it. I just do it. Biking in the morning helps here. I dont start thinking until it is too late.

Iam 65 and have been biking for a long time. The fun always comes back. I still hate cold weather though.

Wes

My Bikes
    Scapin (2), Mondonico, Eddy Merckx, Pinarello
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the posts are great. We all go through these things. One of the ways I get around it is to get a trainer so that I can ride one of my bikes in place at the house. This way I can put some tunes and headphones on. I never do this on the streets of Fort Lauderdale so it is a real change of pace. Not to mention the fact that I can be very flexible for when I do it. I actually bought an old vintage Guerciotti with all Campy Super Record components for a song (it had a cracked seat post lug) just for this application (one hundred bucks).

After a week or so on the trainer, I am itching to get back out on the road. When I do, I've retained much of my conditioning too.... It has really worked for me and I have been able to regulary keep my conditioning up even through those "I don't want to go out there and ride" periods.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well i've rode myself outta the blues. The last 2 weeks I'm up to 115 miles per week. I've also ordered a full dura ace(wheels too) scat from supergo 20% off (no poseur here). I'm hoping to get the perfect ride and i'm looking forward to shelving my trusty but rough TCR. Wow! me on full dura ace. I'm especially excited about the Wheels WH7800 . I've always heard that good wheels is like good pitching in baseball about 80% of the game.

My Bikes
    Scapin (2), Mondonico, Eddy Merckx, Pinarello
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt about it...equipment is a big motivator. Probably the biggest for me....

Don't get rid of the old bike though. Keep it ready for those "Nasty Weather Rides".

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on what you like. For me it's a combo of bike aspeed and ease of pedaling. It sounds like you need an easier bike. I discarded 3 old bikes because I just did not like the way they rode. They were too boring. Go out on a few 1 mile test rides of these bike:

1. lightspeed ultima
    2. Giant TCR composite
    3. any carbor fiber from: trek, specialized, cannondale

I rode a lightspeed this week and now not as happy with OCR 2.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is only one cure. Go to your LBS and buy something.
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Pinarello Treviso, Rocky Mountain Oxygen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have learned to fight the cycling blahs by becoming an equipment-junkie.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a 20+ year time out, a doctor visit reviewing cardio and blood work data did it for me. Cycling beats long distance running and being locked up in a gym pushing dead weights around.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about a new wife? ;-) My wife of 24 years won't ride with me, but I wish she would. We are looking for something to do together, but biking ain't it!
    "I am a true laborer. I earn that I eat, get that I wear, owe no man hate, envy no man's happiness, glad of other men's good, content with my harm." As You Like It, Act 3, Scene 2. Shakespeare.
    "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial." Ava Gardner.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very similar situation lately. I had my bike all loaded, drove to the nearest park, and couldn't get the motivation to even unload the bike. Don't know why I loaded it up in the first place-but tried to "force" myself to get a ride in. Just don't ride if you don't feel like it. What worked for me, was not too long after, I decided to just go on a fun ride-no set agenda, no mileage goal, just ride around the park, find what trails I could (mtn.bike), and go out and have a good time. It worked-I took it easy, had a blast, and actually ended up riding further and finding more trails than I usually did. Sometimes I think we forget that we all started riding a bike for fun, and it becomes something else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast