Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mistake or Cheating

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mistake or Cheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Mistake or Cheating

I entered a Garmin Group that had a challenge this month for the most miles ridden. The rules were very simple all miles had to be logged through your Garmin Connect account and no manual entries. The winner will get a substantial prize.

Through yesterday, I was ahead by 103 miles

Today I log into the group and to my surprise the second place person is 114 miles ahead of me. I was thinking that this guy just did a double century and I started looking in the activity log for the ride. I couldn't find the ride but, I did notice that there were a lot more rides in previous days that had not been there before (going back to May 1st). It took a lot of digging but, I was able find 13 instances of 2 rides that were started on the same day, exact start time and two different Garmin devices (the miles were not exact but, within a few 10ths). The total miles doubled was 227.

It seems as though there are two devices connected to the user and there is a double syncing issue.

I like to think the best of people but, it seems odd that these duplicate rides are just now showing up because it took a lot of time to dig through the details.

What do you guys think?

FYI - I am going to contact the sponsor of the challenge tomorrow with my findings
Old 05-16-16, 08:56 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
On the facts, I'm certainly suspicious.

Old 05-16-16, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 505 Posts
Certainly seems questionable.
Old 05-16-16, 09:15 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
The other rider is probably a cheater.

And you shouldn't let it bother you.

You are the one with the real miles.

Think of all the miles the other person is pretending to have,
but didn't have the opportunity to actually experience.
Old 05-16-16, 09:16 PM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I've seen double dipping on Strava a few times now. People will run the phone app concurrent to their dedicated GPS device, and then auto-upload will double the ride. Perhaps they do it for double coverage and then delete one manually... or not. But if it's the end of the month and the doubles are still on there, I'd call for an umpire on that call.
Old 05-16-16, 09:26 PM

I would really like to think that the second device belongs to the persons partner and that there was an accidental sync (I did it once because I have two devices). The thing that makes me believe it's a mistake is the rider is way better than me (judging by his ride stats) and he's perfectly capable of beating me (I was actually expecting him to beat me).
Old 05-16-16, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Any way to contact the other rider and ask what's up? Also, can you see the actual rides?

Even just an e-mail, and he/she'll know you're watching.
Old 05-16-16, 09:51 PM

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Any way to contact the other rider and ask what's up? Also, can you see the actual rides?

I have done something similar myself one several of my century rides but I never post both devices. I will run my Garmin with full color maps to follow the course and my smaller Garmin for MPH and time. The only time it got messed up was one time when I used the smaller garmin for a group ride and downloaded it to my computer before deleting my other rides. One old century was still in history and added to my mileage and I had to go in and manually delete it.
Old 05-17-16, 04:37 AM

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This guy sounds like a friend or someone you encounter often, so definitely do not go in with an accusatory tone.

Just tell him that you found a mistake, and you think it's probably a double sync issue.

It gives the guy a chance to correct it and everyone saves face.
Old 05-17-16, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by highrpm
This guy sounds like a friend or someone you encounter often, so definitely do not go in with an accusatory tone.

Just tell him that you found a mistake, and you think it's probably a double sync issue.

It gives the guy a chance to correct it and everyone saves face.
I have no clue who this guy is and he lives in another state. I have posted a general comment in the Group stating the it appears as though some have synced more than one device (there is one other who has done it once). Hopefully, that will take care of it.
Old 05-17-16, 05:41 AM

No email addresses are provided in the Group and I can comment on one of his rides but, I feel like that is calling him out in public. I don't want it to get nasty and I still feel like it's an honest mistake.
Old 05-17-16, 06:02 AM
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
He may be doing it on accident. I had an issue where my Garmin watch and my Edge would both automatically upload the same ride to Strava. I'm pretty detail-oriented, so I noticed right away, but those dashboards are confusing, especially if your Garmin Connect automatically syncs it and sends to Strava -- the guy may not even be checking Strava.

If the ride showed up later, his watch might be auto syncing with his phone, which automatically syncs with Strava...then when he (at a later date) plugs his Edge in and syncs it, it also uploads a ride.

I contacted Garmin Support for a way to merge the two files, then upload as one -- since one file has heart rate and one file has GPS data (now keep in mind depending on his devices, that may not be an issue with him, as I just have the Edge 200 -- and even when I had a garmin watch with GPS I left that off on rides because my Edge handled the GPS -- AKA no need) -- and Garmin basically said I was out of luck. The only way I could fix it was to unsync my Garmin Connect account with Strava, and upload my activities manually from my Edge to Strava. My Garmin Connect app still gives me double credit for every activity I log on both...so essentially I've stopped using that as a tracking tool all together...it's just too confusing.
Old 05-17-16, 06:43 AM
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinnMan
The other rider is probably a cheater.

And you shouldn't let it bother you.

You are the one with the real miles.

Think of all the miles the other person is pretending to have,
but didn't have the opportunity to actually experience.
Seriously?
Old 05-17-16, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Planemaker
No email addresses are provided in the Group and I can comment on one of his rides but, I feel like that is calling him out in public. I don't want it to get nasty and I still feel like it's an honest mistake.
Maybe your post to the group will help.

I haven't used comments on Strava yet. Can you edit/delete your comments later?

If the guy hides/deletes his duplicated rides, it should also hide/delete your comment, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Here's to hoping that Strava gets an E-Mail system working soon.
Old 05-17-16, 08:59 AM

This is not a Strava Group but a Garmin Group.

I can see mistakenly double posting if you have an activity tracker and Garmin Edge (I have a Vivoactive HR and Garmin Edge 810). This guy is double posting with an Edge 520 and Edge 810. for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would be using two different Garmin Edge devices to cycle with.
Old 05-17-16, 09:34 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4390 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Seriously?
um yeah. It's not as if there's a cash prize or anything, right? The competition is just for fun, and, IMHO, the chief fun is actually riding.

Or, as per the rest of the discussion in the thread, it's not cheating but an innocent mistake, in which case, so much the better.
Old 05-17-16, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by MinnMan
um yeah. It's not as if there's a cash prize or anything, right? The competition is just for fun, and, IMHO, the chief fun is actually riding.

Or, as per the rest of the discussion in the thread, it's not cheating but an innocent mistake, in which case, so much the better.
I entered a Garmin Group that had a challenge this month for the most miles ridden. The rules were very simple all miles had to be logged through your Garmin Connect account and no manual entries. The winner will get a substantial prize.
No definition of a "Substantial Prize", but I read it as meaning more than simply an electronic token added to one's profile page.
Old 05-17-16, 10:13 AM

No definition of a "Substantial Prize", but I read it as meaning more than simply an electronic token added to one's profile page.
Not a cash prize but, the winner gets a $1,000 shopping spree at Garmin.

Bottom line even if there wasn't a prize, I want to win or lose fair.
Old 05-17-16, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Specialized Crux Expert Evo, Felt DA, Surly Crosscheck, Divvy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My FR920xt and Edge 520 will double post if I have them both going at the same time and save the results. However, you are indicating that he has a 520 and 810, maybe he just got the 520 and was doing some testing/comparing against the new one vs the old one.
Old 05-17-16, 10:28 AM

Not a cash prize but, the winner gets a $1,000 shopping spree at Garmin.

Bottom line even if there wasn't a prize, I want to win or lose fair.
It will be easier next year when you get that second thousand dollar Garmin
Old 05-17-16, 11:38 AM

I've gotten in contact with the sponsor of the challenge. They are going to contact Garmin who actually runs the challenge and if they find any anomalies (I think it's clear there are), they will reach out to the other participant and ask them to correct the problem. I am not hopeful but, I've done all I can do except to ride and enjoy my time on the bike.

The good news no matter what the outcome, I've pushed myself beyond the limits of what I thought I could do.

My Garmin Vivoactive HR is the device that syncs to my Garmin Connect account but, all of rides this month are also saved on my Garmin Edge 810. I suppose that I could just turn on the Edge 810 bluetooth and let it sync with my Garmin Connect account and go back in the lead. Just kidding, I would never do something like that, I want to earn every one of the miles I ride.

Hypothetical question:

Suppose I'm correct the other participant realizes his mistake and wants to correct it. How do you actually correct it because there are the obvious duplicate rides but, there are also rides that are unique to the 520 and the 810? My thought would be that the participant gets to choose one device to sync and has to delete all of the rides on the other device. Of course, that works out in my favor so, there is some bias there.
Old 05-17-16, 11:58 AM
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"but, there are also rides that are unique to the 520 and the 810"

It gets stickier here now -- because who owns both. I bet he owns the 520 and his wife/friend/whatever owns the 810. He's double dipping -- and he accidentally uploaded a ride from both that they went on together.
Old 05-17-16, 12:06 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5788 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,430 Posts
We all speak of cheating in the pro peloton, and it's a serious problem. But the pros at least have something serious at stake so while we can't condone cheating, we can at least understand the reasons.

OTOH - the sad thing is how little people will cheat for. I'm not talking about high stakes motivation, but an anything goes as long as you're not caught mentality. I don't know if the person the OP references is cheating, or the "victim" of some sort of glitch. But realistically if it is a glitch I'd expect an honest man to report it himself, or take himself out of the running. So, IMO, it's just another cheat in another venue, and one more reminder of how low our society has sunk.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-17-16, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by bakes1
Seriously?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-17-16, 01:03 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I have friends that follow my rides that are on Endomondo so I post my rides there for them to see. This sort of stuff happens there all the time. Someone will start a new challenge and you join it the same day it starts. Three days later, you check the standings and there's always some body that's got 1,000+ miles in those three days. When you look at his/her training log, it's always private so you can't see the entries or the route. Not much you can do with cheaters when there's no money involved other than grin and bear it, even thought it's not right.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.