Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I rode naked today!

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I rode naked today!

Old 06-14-16, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I rode naked today!

Sort of. I took off after work for my 1 hour ride.A couple of minutes into the ride I realized I forgot my helmet.I started to turn around and said the hell with it.Uneventful ride ,weather is beautiful ,low humidity.Towards the end 2 blocks from the ranch.I sense a car from behind,too close.I hear a familiar voice No Helmet!! Of course it's my wife.Next car is my daughter and son in law.Down goes the window, heh Dad where is your helmet? Never again!
Old 06-14-16, 07:03 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I thought this was going to have something to do with the humidity thread
Old 06-14-16, 08:43 PM

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happened to me the other day as well. I usually do my (short) commute without a helmet on, so I didn't notice it until halfway through my (long) ride!
Old 06-14-16, 09:55 PM

Bikes: n + 1

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
My first thought at reading the thread title was, "Eeewwww! Gross."

I rode naked once too, but for me it was starting off on a ride without my gloves. Took about three or four houses down the street when I realized that something just wasn't right. Something was missing, I felt "naked". I did turn around to go home and grab a set of gloves. For sure I want those if I were to fall off the bike.
Old 06-15-16, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I think that's a good thing. It means that your helmet fits you comfortably.
Old 06-15-16, 06:58 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sometimes leave on my bike as early as 5:30 AM. That I would forget to put on my bike shorts is a real possibility.
Old 06-15-16, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Some time you just forget. I went for a ride with my wife, who doesn't like going uphill at all. I get to the top of a hill and wait for her to catch up. Then she needs a break at the top of the hill. Break time over, we ride down the back side of the hill. Then she realizes she doesn't have her helmet on. So back up the hill to look for it. No helmet. We finish the ride, and plan to go the LBS for a new one. We get back to the car, open the door, and there it is sitting on the seat.

Glad you didn't crash and die.
Old 06-15-16, 07:46 AM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 06-15-16, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Things get a bit hairier when they meet you down the road and you have the helmet on but you forgot the bike...
Old 06-16-16, 06:38 AM
Billd76

Bikes: 07 Trek 1000 and 014 Giant Escape

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can bike naked for real next week in Portland Oregon World Naked Bike Ride sets 2016 date in Portland | OregonLive.com I wont be there!!!!
Old 06-23-16, 08:12 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 471 Posts
I've been thinking about this thread, and since you've brought it up, I must say that never in my wildest imagination could I ever conceive of a circumstance where I would forget to bring my helmet, let alone actually start riding without it. I hope this event cues your memory skills.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 06-23-16 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-25-16, 06:14 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I ride without helmet every other week, daily commute, just to remind myself that I don't have to if I don't feel like it. I commend OP for making his own decision, rather than turning back because we're "supposed" to always wear one.
Old 06-25-16, 09:17 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I ride without helmet every other week, daily commute, just to remind myself that I don't have to if I don't feel like it. I commend OP for making his own decision, rather than turning back because we're "supposed" to always wear one.

Perhaps this?

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...no-memory.html
Old 06-26-16, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
There are many things that I tend to forget, but I think I could deduce an accident if I had one.

It may not be universal, but I've noticed that the more consistent I am in wearing a helmet, the more it feels like I have to. The physical risk is so slight that the risk of developing a psychological dependence becomes the greater danger, so I choose at some times to leave the helmet at home. I see it as monitoring for an incipient neurosis (is there any emotional response for example) and as an exercise in mental hygiene.
Old 06-26-16, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1590 Post(s)
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,190 Posts
You need only tell people you have borrowed the Emperors helmet for the day...
Old 06-28-16, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Impulso, Raleigh Record Ace, Kestrel 200SCI, Jamis Xenith T2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
When I first saw the thread title I thought I wasn't alone.
Old 06-28-16, 10:46 AM
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. This same thing happened to me on the towpath last week. I got all set to head out, put my bandana on (you wouldn't believe how many bugs get in your helmet when riding through the woods by the river)...got about 4 miles down and went to scratch my head through my hole, and realized my helmet wasn't there. I just kept wondering if people were judging me for not having a helmet on.
Old 06-30-16, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did the same thing the other day. Was a couple of miles in before I noticed. Cut between 2 lines of cars waiting for a light and one was a cop car. Thought I was going to get a ticket for sure or something, but nothing.
Old 07-01-16, 04:59 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
After being so lucky to have survived the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s without a helmet....and drinking water out of a hose, I suppose the short, slow, casual rides around town will be ok without a helmet. But I do draw the line at riding in the bed of a pickup at 55mph.
Old 07-07-16, 10:12 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i have walked out the door of the garage without my helmet, but went back. I actually thought this would be a ride without a computer
Old 07-07-16, 12:14 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Less metaphorical than Actual..

World Naked Bike Ride Day World Naked Bike Ride

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Naked_Bike_Ride

https://pdxwnbr.org/ Etc, Etc.
Old 07-15-16, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Haven't worn a helmet in 15 years. Don't see the point of them, frankly.
Old 07-15-16, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Let's try to put some qualitative numbers in a crash accident:

You are riding downhill on a paved street and for whatever reason (pothole, small animal, a truck going by, a pedestrian...) you take a spill and hit the sidewalk with top right of your skull. The impact is strong enough to break the bones ...and that's it...You are a vegetable or a cadaver.

Let's assume that the contact surface was 2"x0.5" = 1 square inch (the edge of the sidewalk, crushing your skull).

Had you worn a helmet, the contact patch on your skull would be more like 3" x 2" = 6 in sq therefore the contact pressure would be 1/6th than that of the helmetless.

Moving on, in a collision the kinetic energy of your head K=1/2 mV2 which will increase slightly due to the addition of the helmet mass, has to be absorbed. The kinetic energy absorption is proportional to the load P(t)xΔt. The P(t) is a triangular more or less function and if Δt is the base of the triangle, the kinetic energy is proportional to the area of the triangle.

In the helmeted crash the time Δt increases, because it takes time to crush the styrofoam, before the load is transmitted to your skull. Let's say 3Δt. Since the kinetic energy is the same, this means that the load is further reduced by threefold (more or less independently of the sixfold reduction due to the contact patch). we are at 18-fold reduction of the load which tries to crush your skull.

I told a small lie before. The kinetic energy to be absorbed is not the same. There is energy consumed in crushing the styrofoam. I am not sure how much and how it can be incorporated in a quick qualitative calculation.

Anyway, reducing the load on the skull by 18 times (reducing it to 5.5% of the original) is good enough reason for me. YMMV.
Old 07-20-16, 06:34 AM

Bikes: Cyclocross Generic Steel Frame 105 Shimano Group Set, Minn Framed Fat Bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Funny helmet story.

A friend of mine and I commute to work by bike. I leave work first. One day he calls me from work and asks where I hid his helmet and basically is getting torqued because he thought someone hid it and wouldn't tell him. So he goes home totally enraged someone took his helmet. He walks into his house and there is his helmet on the kitchen table. Turns out he drove to work without it on and never realized it. And he's not even 50 yet!
Old 07-20-16, 04:33 PM

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GerryinHouston
Let's try to put some qualitative numbers in a crash accident:

You are riding downhill on a paved street and for whatever reason (pothole, small animal, a truck going by, a pedestrian...) you take a spill and hit the sidewalk with top right of your skull. The impact is strong enough to break the bones ...and that's it...You are a vegetable or a cadaver.

Let's assume that the contact surface was 2"x0.5" = 1 square inch (the edge of the sidewalk, crushing your skull).

Had you worn a helmet, the contact patch on your skull would be more like 3" x 2" = 6 in sq therefore the contact pressure would be 1/6th than that of the helmetless.

Moving on, in a collision the kinetic energy of your head K=1/2 mV2 which will increase slightly due to the addition
of the helmet mass, has to be absorbed. The kinetic energy absorption is proportional to the load P(t)xΔt. The P(t) is a triangular more or less function and if Δt is the base of the triangle, the kinetic energy is proportional to the area of the triangle.

In the helmeted crash the time Δt increases, because it takes time to crush the styrofoam, before the load is transmitted to your skull. Let's say 3Δt. Since the kinetic energy is the same, this means that the load is further reduced by threefold (more or less independently of the sixfold reduction due to the contact patch). we are at 18-fold reduction of the load which tries to crush your skull.

I told a small lie before. The kinetic energy to be absorbed is not the same. There is energy consumed in crushing the styrofoam. I am not sure how much and how it can be incorporated in a quick qualitative calculation.
Anyway, reducing the load on the skull by 18 times (reducing it to 5.5% of the original) is good enough reason for me. YMMV.
This is pretty one sided qualitative numbers.
As for me the past 5+ years of commuting it should go like this.
"You are riding downhill on a paved street and for whatever reason (pothole, small animal, a truck going by, a pedestrian...) nothing happens, I take no spill, I don't hit the sidewalk with my skull. I get off my bicycle at destination and say to myself that sure was a nice ride." I could "what if" all day long with the best of people. But what I do not do is live in fear or make excuses, which unfortunately is what about 95% of the people do every single day. live in fear and make excuses.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.