Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 06-17-16, 10:08 AM   #1
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Prostrate Cancer Treatment

Interesting news item today. Fighting prostate cancer: Treatments evolve, from robotic surgery to hormonal therapy | NJ.com
berner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 11:30 AM   #2
oldnslow2 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
My father passed away 36 years ago at the age of 53. Those sure were the "dark ages" when it comes to treatment. Early detection gives you many more options than waiting for symptoms. Your specific PSA is not an indicator, but having a history of PSA will show a change. Also don't be a coward, and get a "digital" exam. A few minutes of discomfort can save you from a lot of pain.

Every male in my family has had prostate cancer so i've been getting checked since I was 45. I'm 60 now and still cancer free.

Every day is a day closer to more options. There are treatments today that weren't available yesterday. Who knows what will be discovered tomorrow.
1974 VW Beetle, 2180cc engine, Berg 5 speed

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $25,000 raised in 2016

Quote:
Rule #25// The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car
oldnslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 11:34 AM   #3
John_V 

Bikes: 2012 Colnago Ace road bike, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
They have come a long way from when my grandfather had it and there was basically nothing they could do but pain management. I was 15 when he died of the cancer spreading into his lymph nodes.

I'm a prostate cancer survivor who had to do hormone treatments and radiation because of my leukemia. My very aggressive prostate cancer was diagnosed not long after I started my oral chemo medication. Since I couldn't come off the oral chemo I didn't have much choice as to which procedure to go with, although I would have preferred the robotic surgery. I've never understood the reason why that panel of non oncologist and non urologist say PSA testing is not necessary unless there are symptoms. I had no symptoms and it was the PSA velocity, not the PSA number, that prompted me to do a biopsy. I'm glad I did because it was about to spread out of the prostate and into the surrounding tissue had I not done the biopsy. I would have been in the same boat as my grandfather had that happened.

2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 06-17-16 at 11:42 AM.
John_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 11:48 AM   #4
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
The surgeon who did my prostatectomy five years ago preferred to do it the 'old fashioned way'. He would do the DaVinci if I had asked, but listed the possible complications. The DaVinci robotic method does not allow for 'feel' - like when the surgeon is stretching a nerve fiber too far. The patient really wants to have as few complications as possible, and a 'loose bladder' - the inability to hold back urine resulting in 'leaking' is NOT a good thing! Either is nicking something that shouldn't be nicked. Or cutting or tearing the nerves that allow for retention of blood in the penis (and erections)...

Oh, and the surgeon who did my prostatectomy is the Head of the Urologic Oncology Center at University Hospitals in Cleveland, the teaching hospital of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. I trusted his judgement. I had absolutely no problems or complications with his work.

Like oldnslow2, every male on my mother's side of the family has been afflicted with prostate cancer. Her dad died of it in 1962, long before they had any form of treatment for prostate cancer. The male cousins on that side all have it, but none opted for a total prostatectomy like I had. They had opted for either conventional radiation or the radioactive 'seeds'. I didn't want to have that threat of it progressing later in life. Also, radiation and the seed method make surgical removal of the prostate more difficult if the cancer progresses because the radiation 'cooks' the surrounding tissues, making it like a tough piece of meat.
'86 Miyata 710
'90 Schwinn Woodlands
Huffy MTB - for trips to corner store
MTB of questionable lineage aka 'Mutt Trail Bike'

Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 11:49 AM   #5
oldnslow2 

Bikes:
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_V View Post
it was the PSA velocity, not the PSA number,
This bears repeating. You can still have a "low" number but if its gone higher than you historically have, you need to look into it.

John, glad you're doing well and still riding.
1974 VW Beetle, 2180cc engine, Berg 5 speed

iRide4Sue.org Please Donate to fight Cancer. $25,000 raised in 2016

Quote:
Rule #25// The bikes on top of your car should be worth more than the car
oldnslow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-16, 11:49 AM   #6
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: 2008 Scott CR1 Pro; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I'm astounded at how few people get yearly physical exams. So many people I know take care of their cars better than they do their own bodies ... it's bizarre!

I've been getting yearly physicals for the past 20 years, and for as long as I can remember, a PSA and digital exam has been a part of that.

I'm not a fan of the "what you don't know can't hurt you" school of thinking, so even if PSA tests can give false positives, I'd still rather have the information so I can choose to act on it or not.

Anyway ... So far, so good. Early detection IS the best way to beat cancer.
Old 06-18-16, 07:29 PM   #7
Cougrrcj 
Over forty victim of Fate

Bikes: A few...
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Originally Posted by John_V
it was the PSA velocity, not the PSA number,
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslow2 View Post
This bears repeating. You can still have a "low" number but if its gone higher than you historically have, you need to look into it.
Yep, it is the RATE of increase you have to watch. My PSA 'number' was still in the low-normal range, but it had doubled in one year. Doc ordered a retest in six weeks. Higher still. Then ordered the biopsy. Cancer found in one half of the gland. Waited six more weeks for an open surgery date - and the post-op biopsy found that it had spread to the whole gland.

Yes, early detection is the key!!!
Cougrrcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-16, 08:10 PM   #8
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Velocity is the key, I agree . I had my prostate removed this past February, and yes it was the rapid increase in my PSA number that led to a confirming biopsy . 1 in 8 of us will have this problem at some point in our lives . Get checked, and regularly .
Northwestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 04:36 PM   #9
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had a high PSA several years ago, not sure about the velocity, but my GP ordered a biopsy, which was not pleasant by the way . . . . but it came back negative and that was very good news for me.

Could still happen though.

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 07:27 PM   #10
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
The standard TRUS 12 core biopsy is not an overwhelmingly accurate means of biopsying the prostate. Much can be missed because the procedure does not get to the far side of the prostate and thus can very easily miss cancer cells that have begun to form a lesion.

Transperineal 3D mapping biopsy of the prostate: an essential tool in selecting patients for focal prostate cancer therapy. - PubMed - NCBI A transperineal 3D prostate mapping biopsy is far more accurate and detailed.
OldTryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 05:32 AM   #11
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
There has been a lot of discussion about this in the 65-85+ thread.
I had the da Vinci robotic surgery on Dec 21, 2015 and was back riding in less than 2 months.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 07:24 AM   #12
AlexCyclistRoch
Cycliste-Flaneur

Bikes: Classic road bikes: 1986 Cannondale, 1978 Trek
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
What? there is a new cancer treatment you take laying prostrate? Or do you meant "prostate"?
AlexCyclistRoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 09:34 AM   #13
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCyclistRoch View Post
What? there is a new cancer treatment you take laying prostrate? Or do you meant "prostate"?
No, only the cancer itself is lying prostrate.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 10:42 AM   #14
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Bacchetta Strada, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR View Post
I had a high PSA several years ago, not sure about the velocity, but my GP ordered a biopsy, it came back negative and that was very good news for me.
Rick / OCRR
Hope you have had follow up PSA's taken after the initial negative biopsy .
Old 06-20-16, 02:11 PM   #15
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestrider View Post
Hope you have had follow up PSA's taken after the initial negative biopsy .
Yes, on a yearly basis. The high PSA was directly after a pretty brutal double-century before I'd discovered prostate friendly saddles. Actually, it was the 2nd consecutive double-century weekend; Knoxville Double followed a week later by Tour of Two Forests. So my prostate was badly hammered, badly swollen and that was no doubt the cause or at least part of it.

Since I got my prostate friendly Selle Anatomica saddle, no problems!

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-20-16, 02:35 PM   #16
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:

Rick / OCRR
I've been riding on Selle Anatomica X series saddles for ~2 years. They're great.

The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 03:21 PM   #17
CasualBikerJay

Bikes:
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Amazing how such a small, nearly useless gland could cause so much trouble.

Dealing with it since '03, here.
CasualBikerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 05:26 PM   #18
StanSeven
Super Moderator

Bikes: Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, on a yearly basis. The high PSA was directly after a pretty brutal double-century before I'd discovered prostate friendly saddles. Actually, it was the 2nd consecutive double-century weekend; Knoxville Double followed a week later by Tour of Two Forests. So my prostate was badly hammered, badly swollen and that was no doubt the cause or at least part of it.

Rick / OCRR
Rick,

Is there any corelation between high PSA and cycling? I couldn't find much. My PSA keeps increasing but I've had three biopsies over the past few years and they all are negative. I'm wondering if 8-10 hours of weekly riding on a minimalistic saddle might be a factor.
Old 06-20-16, 05:43 PM   #19
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSeven View Post
Rick,
Is there any correlation between high PSA and cycling? I couldn't find much. My PSA keeps increasing but I've had three biopsies over the past few years and they all are negative. I'm wondering if 8-10 hours of weekly riding on a minimalistic saddle might be a factor.
I'm not a doctor but a friend of mine who is, and is also a cyclist, says an intense cycling (or any sports) effort right before a blood test can skew the results and make both PSA and cholesterol read high. So I'm inclined to say yes, but . . . the saddle issue is separate (though possibly related) question.

In my case, I did double-centuries on consecutive weekends on a Sella Turbo saddle causing my prostrate to swell so much I couldn't pee and had to have a catheter put in. Sorry if this is TMI.

After it was taken out I had the blood test and the high PSA and the biopsy. That was back in 2006 if I remember right. I bought one of the original Selle Anatomica saddles and that totally solved the problem . . . for me. YMMV, of course, but there are lots of prostrate friendly saddles out there in addition to Selle Anatomica so I'm not trying to sell anything here.

I would advise to make sure you are fully rested and recovered before you have you next blood test to see if the numbers are dramatically different. And check with your doctor if he/she is a cyclist. Sorry to sound too negative here but in my experience doctors who are not cyclists or are not familiar with the stress our bodies suffer when riding . . . just don't get it.

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-20-16, 06:16 PM   #20
StanSeven
Super Moderator

Thanks Rick.

My prostate thing has me confused. I didn't ride for three days before the last two PSA tests so skewed results isn't my problem. I'm wondering if somehow the pressure on the prostate from everyday riding for an hour or more can cause PSA levels to rise.
Old 06-20-16, 07:51 PM   #21
OldTryGuy

Bikes: 1982 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser
Quote:
Thanks Rick.

My prostate thing has me confused. I didn't ride for three days before the last two PSA tests so skewed results isn't my problem. I'm wondering if somehow the pressure on the prostate from everyday riding for an hour or more can cause PSA levels to rise.
I will reiterate, if your biopsy was a TRUS, it DOES NOT reach much of the prostate and can give a false sense of security. As far as resting the prostate before a blood test, no bicycling, hard exercise, sex, horse riding....... for an entire week before the blood test.
Old 06-20-16, 08:23 PM   #22
StanSeven
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
I will reiterate, if your biopsy was a TRUS, it DOES NOT reach much of the prostate and can give a false sense of security. As far as resting the prostate before a blood test, no bicycling, hard exercise, sex, horse riding....... for an entire week before the blood test.
The biopsy was a TRUS but some samples were taken very deep as well. Prior to the last one, I had an MRI that concentrated on the portion where the TRUS doesn't really get. The alternative is a "saturation" biopsy done as a surgercal procedure where over 50 samples are tsken from all over.

I will take you advice and abstain from everything for a full week next time.
Old 06-20-16, 10:08 PM   #23
Northwestrider

Quote:
Rick,

Is there any corelation between high PSA and cycling? I couldn't find much. My PSA keeps increasing but I've had three biopsies over the past few years and they all are negative. I'm wondering if 8-10 hours of weekly riding on a minimalistic saddle might be a factor.
On that I'll respond that my urologist says there is none, but I talked to another that said there is , sooo.... and another didn't want his patients to ride 3 days before a PSA test . That last bit leads me to believe there is at least some correlation .
Old 06-21-16, 01:47 AM   #24
OldTryGuy

Quote:
The biopsy was a TRUS but some samples were taken very deep as well. Prior to the last one, I had an MRI that concentrated on the portion where the TRUS doesn't really get. The alternative is a "saturation" biopsy done as a surgercal procedure where over 50 samples are tsken from all over.

I will take you advice and abstain from everything for a full week next time.
I had the TRUS by urologist resulting in 9 of 12 positive with Gleason range 6 to 9. After the bilateral orchiectomy, my choice since I do not agree that drugs are always the best solution, I continued treatment by Dr. Gary Onik who performed his saturation Transperineal 3D Prostate Mapping Biopsy resulting in Gleason 10. A deep TRUS is not the same as a 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwestrider View Post
On that I'll respond that my urologist says there is none, but I talked to another that said there is , sooo.... and another didn't want his patients to ride 3 days before a PSA test . That last bit leads me to believe there is at least some correlation .
The more I read the more I agree of a possible effect occurring.

Best of luck to all.
Old 06-21-16, 05:41 AM   #25
revchuck

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy View Post
I went through radiation treatment for my prostate cancer last July - September, and I rode 8-10 hours/week during the treatment. Towards the end of the treatment, I tried a training ride on my TT bike and when I got down on the sticks my prostate told me it was NOT a good idea. I did a century three days after completing the treatment to celebrate. I also take a week off prior to a PSA test and want to add using a riding mower to OTG's list - pressure and vibration are what elevates the PSA count.
revchuck is offline   Reply With Quote