Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Big Crash and sister's husband said he's selling the Bike

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Big Crash and sister's husband said he's selling the Bike

Old 06-27-16, 08:26 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=jgscisum;18872194]This thread is about my sister. What say everyone else about this situation??

I'm 75 and I stopped riding in pace lines 10 years ago. Maybe older guys don't ride as much but I found a lack of focus by many of the riders and hitting the ground at 65 takes a lot longer to get over than at 40 or 50.

I especially found pulled back muscles tough to get over. In the past 10 years I've been on the ground twice and they were both low speed runs into pit holes.
Old 06-27-16, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Old folks are fragile and the more time we spend sitting on our rear ends, the more fragile we get.

The last time I looked, the risk of death per hour of cycling was nearly identical to the risk per hour of driving. Ditto for serious injuries. Is the BIL going to stop driving? The only studies I've seen on the benefits versus risks of cycling all say that cyclists live longer on average. However, the ones who died prematurely might feel poorly-served by such studies.
Old 06-27-16, 10:35 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Older rider, low tolerance for risk of falling, = recumbent trike.

N+! for the win!
Old 06-30-16, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good points from everyone! No, the BIL does not exercise or have any program. He is a pilot of small aircraft and I ask him if he was going to quit flying. NO response to that one.

My wife and I have been taking evening meals over just to make the transition easier for both of them. BIL response... " I could get use to this". My BIL really is a good guy! He's just a little pent up about things and losing his routine is one of them. At this point, I suspect keeping my lip zipped is about the smartest thing to do. Even if is bleeding from having to stay mute!
Thanks everyone for your feelings and perspective!

Last edited by jgscisum; 07-02-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 06:28 PM
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jgscisum
No, the BIL does not exercise or have any program. He is a pilot of small aircraft and I ask him if he was going to quit flying. NO response to that one.
Being younger (mid-50's) and also a pilot, he sounds to me like the typical sedentary life-style workaholic that will soon not be able to pass his Class 3 Medical and his flying decisions will be made for him by the FAA.

I say go steal her bike out of the garage and when she's ready, give it to her. She'll recover so much better if she's able to ride.
Old 07-01-16, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife crashed resulting in no serious injuries, yet she of her own accord has stopped ridding. After a period of a few years has recently expressed interest in getting back on her bike . IMO we let others decide for themselves . Less stress usually .
Old 07-01-16, 10:49 AM

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Many years ago I was hit by a pick up truck from behind. Broken back and all that fun stuff. At that time my father told me to never got on a bike again. I was 29 years old. I got on, with a body brace in place, a month and a half after the accident. Dad got over it It is a knee jerk reaction. Fear, seeing your injured loved one, causes a lot of worry. What if it had been much worse? I was lucky, as that same fall several other riders were hit and died.

He will calm down at some point. If she wants to continue riding, she will.
Old 07-01-16, 11:28 AM

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Last time I tumbled was when I negotiated a tight bend, in too high a gear too slowly . .failed to extricate my right foot and toppled. Must've looked funny. . .
Old 07-11-16, 01:34 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
marriage is the ultimate act of selfishness. I would be lost without my Wife. Godspeed to your sister
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-12-16, 12:09 PM

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I always give the same advice. Listen to your loved ones and then make up your own damned mind. If I told my wife I was selling her bike she'd very quickly let me know she was thinking of selling my car and if I sold her bike against her wishes very soon we'd be selling the house as community property. I used to be a full time hang glider pilot and tend to take risks she would never consider but I don't make her rules and she doesn't make mine. Any counseling from me includes "it's your life and your decision".
Old 07-16-16, 10:25 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
What constitutes a full recovery? Back to where you were before the accident or able to do everything you did before if slightly diminished?

I am 62 now, and six years ago I think it was I was attacked by pit bull type dogs resulting in a sever femur break, open wound, cracked hip and damaged knee. Plus a lot of bruises, scrapes, injured shoulder, dog bite and a lawsuit (and I won). I recovered, most would say fully, but I sometimes limp when I first standup, the leg is sore sometimes, I am scared of dogs (especially unknown dogs) now. There was also a small stroke and three months lost work. I was running 18 miles a week, now I do the stair stepper/elliptical instead.

My swim times for a mile never recovered fully, my average riding speeds never came back either. Is it because it took me a full year to recover (bones and stroke) and it is simply age? I think not entirely. There was a permanent loss. I was and am still very fit and in general durable goods. Older people may find significant loss though considered fully recovered, some people are just not as durable as others.

Last week I took a fall on my MTB in front of my house. I got some gravel rash on my elbow, a little sore arm and hip, never really slowed me down. So I guess I fully recovered from that in about 24 hours.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 07-16-16 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 07:28 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
[QUOTE=Loose Chain;18917320]What constitutes a full recovery? Back to where you were before the accident or able to do everything you did before if slightly diminished?

I'll have to get back to you on that. At the moment I'm recovering from surgery to correct a mal-union of a pelvic fracture and a revision of a hip replacement. I had the surgery 39 days ago and was recently upgraded to partial weight bearing and some light spinning on the trainer (15 minutes of light resistance never felt so good after 5 weeks off the bike). Just started outpatient PT on Saturday.
Surgeons, I had 2, assure me I'll be back to riding at my previous level but we shall see. AT this age , 63, healing takes a lot longer.
Old 07-18-16, 08:12 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1280 Post(s)
Liked 891 Times in 470 Posts
I think this will work itself out, one way or the other. I don't mean to be facetious, but whatever error led to her crash, she will never make that same mistake again. I hope she decides to keep riding, even if it is not immediately.
She's been gifted with the opportunity to learn from her mistake. It is her first crash in four years. The rest of her riding should be trouble-free.
Old 07-28-16, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Excellent advice above about not getting between them.

Riding a bicycle in the US is about 5-10 times as dangerous as riding in a car based on fatalities per mile: Bicycling: Relatively Safe | streets.mn

OTOH the health benefits of being active likely far outweigh the risks. Minimize the risks and keep riding is my belief.
Old 07-29-16, 02:43 AM

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I sold my Five DF's after my 16 MPH Brain Injury Crash. Jan 11, 2014

Never want to do that again.

Wife says she never wants to see me in the hospital again.

Medical bills were $94,000.00
Very sorry about your injury; that must have been devastating. Were you wearing a helmet?
We are in the UK on our annual summer(!) visit and discussion still continues here about the value of helmets (and about bright clothing), both of which would seem to be obvious benefits, but not here!

And as for the medical bills, I hope insurance covered them. One good thing about the UK, and there are many others, is the National Health Service. A bill like that would never happen.
Old 07-29-16, 09:56 AM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Medical bills were $94,000.00
How much of that amount were YOU responsible for paying, after insurance company and/or Medicare adjustments and payments to the medical providers?
Old 07-29-16, 10:11 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Artmo
Very sorry about your injury; that must have been devastating. Were you wearing a helmet?
We are in the UK on our annual summer(!) visit and discussion still continues here about the value of helmets (and about bright clothing), both of which would seem to be obvious benefits, but not here!

And as for the medical bills, I hope insurance covered them. One good thing about the UK, and there are many others, is the National Health Service. A bill like that would never happen.
Yes had a helmet.

Left side hit at 16 mph

Old 07-29-16, 10:30 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 561 Posts
Damn. That's a pretty serious crack!

My last serious crash was at about 23 MPH ... but you had to really look closely to see how the helmet cracked to absorb the energy. Yours must have been a lot more violent. I don't even want to think about that.

My mom and sister came to visit me in the hospital, and one quipped to the other:

"Well, maybe this will finally teach him a lesson and he'll stop riding that silly bike."

My wife's response was classic:

"If you really think that, you don't know him very well."

Old 07-29-16, 10:37 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Damn. That's a pretty serious crack!

My last serious crash was at about 23 MPH ... but you had to really look closely to see how the helmet cracked to absorb the energy. Yours must have been a lot more violent. I don't even want to think about that.

My mom and sister came to visit me in the hospital, and one quipped to the other:

"Well, maybe this will finally teach him a lesson and he'll stop riding that silly bike."

My wife's response was classic:

"If you really think that, you don't know him very well."

I don't remember the crash or the next three days.

Also destroyed the No. 4 nerve in my left eye and twisted the eye muscle 15 *
Was in Three hospitals.

Third one for eye surgery. My vision in the Left eye will never be the same.
My Brain now has problems trying to tell me what the Left eye is seeing to match what the good eye sees.

Old 07-29-16, 11:20 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

I don't remember the crash or the next three days.

Also destroyed the No. 4 nerve in my left eye and twisted the eye muscle 15 *
Was in Three hospitals.

Third one for eye surgery. My vision in the Left eye will never be the same.
My Brain now has problems trying to tell me what the Left eye is seeing to match what the good eye sees.
Yikes! Did you ever find out what caused the crash?

Old 07-29-16, 11:54 AM
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
The ultimate decision is up to your sister as to will she ride again or not. It is your job, along with husband to support her in whatever route she goes.

I was hit in the mid 90's (Driver ran red light, no insurance) which resulted in multiple operations and 13 months of recovery, and medical bills that put me in great debt for over 10 years. But for me never once did I want to stop the sport I've grown to love, and was back on the bike a year and a half after the accident. It did end me racing competitively, and I do live with daily back pain but I Love the freedom my bike gives me to much to stop.
Old 07-29-16, 12:10 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
The ultimate decision is up to your sister as to will she ride again or not. It is your job, along with husband to support her in whatever route she goes.....
+1, riding or not riding is a personal decision and needs to be made by each person based on their situation and preference. We can provide support, or specific information (only) if asked, but should avoid being an advocate.

I tend to be a bit conservative when asked for advice because I never want to hear "I never should have listened.....". So if asked, I'd try to provide both the pros and cons to consider, but I'd never urge someone to continue bicycling if unsure or facing family objections.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-29-16 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-29-16, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Read these two threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...nds-study.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...tos-bikes.html

It is hard to actually pin down how dangerous bicycling is. However, a lot of people believe that it is also HEALTHY, and the health benefits may more than offset the inherent risks.

That being said, it never hurts to look at the accident and try to make things better. Was it a fluke accident, or did the sister do something to cause it? Will it happen again, or what can be done to prevent it from happening?

One might consider a recumbent trike? Off-street riding?
Old 07-29-16, 12:46 PM
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Read these two threads:
https://www.bikeforums.net/advocacy-s...nds-study.html
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...tos-bikes.html

It is hard to actually pin down how dangerous bicycling is. However, a lot of people believe that it is also HEALTHY, and the health benefits may more than offset the inherent risks.

That being said, it never hurts to look at the accident and try to make things better. Was it a fluke accident, or did the sister do something to cause it? Will it happen again, or what can be done to prevent it from happening?

One might consider a recumbent trike? Off-street riding?
Interesting thread. One of the links is to Ken Kifer's thoughts on the subject.

Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

Oy, does that bring back sad memories.

Ken was killed by a drunk driver ... as I recall, the motorist had just been released on a DUI charge, immediately went out and got drunk again, crossed the line and hit Ken on the other side of the highway. He served just 2 years.

That was 13 years ago, and I remember it as if it were yesterday.

Old 07-29-16, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Interesting thread. One of the links is to Ken Kifer's thoughts on the subject.

Is Cycling Dangerous? -- The Risk of Bicycle Use -- Accidents, Fatalities, Injuries, and Benefits

Oy, does that bring back sad memories.

Ken was killed by a drunk driver ... as I recall, the motorist had just been released on a DUI charge, immediately went out and got drunk again, crossed the line and hit Ken on the other side of the highway. He served just 2 years.

That was 13 years ago, and I remember it as if it were yesterday.
Interesting snippet of history that I didn't realize.

And, perhaps one of the fallacies of statistics and risk analysis.

One can shift risk around. On the road, 700 cyclists a year are killed in the USA.
Perhaps a great many more would have had premature heart attacks. But, at least some of those 700 weren't at high risk for Coronary Artery Disease, and thus for them, the outcome is far worse with cycling.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.