Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Finally Back in the Biking Mood

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guy's/Gal's
I have been away from biking for 20 years. Use to be a big biker. I have gained a lot of weight over the past 20 years and recently lost 30 pounds (Dieting). I decided to get back into biking (Run hurts my hip too much anymore) and purchased a Trek 7.3 size 15 frame. Bike seems to fit my 5' 5" frame pretty well. I am now 53 years old, diabetic for 35 years taking shots but really in very good heath. I started my quest at 235 pounds now at 205. Need the biking to take it further. I took the bike out today on her maiden voyage and Loved it. 14 miles of hills and what, tired at the end but that was to be expected. The bike did great, glad I got the 7.3 instead of the road only bike. It will be used for road only (I think) but it worked great. Looking forward to getting my legs back and my longs.
What a great day ! Just really wanted to say hello and give a little info about myself.
Looking to get a set of clipless peddles for her now. Looking at First is the ( SHIMANO XT PD-T780 SPD DUAL SIDED PEDALS ) they look very good, second is ( 2016 Shimano PD-T420 Click'R Pedal Trekking ). The second set (PD-T420) say's they are really designed for beginner with cleats. They look very goods and only have the cleat clamp on one side. Any suggestions on either of these. I hated the pedals without the toe clips or cleats. I think I will go with the cleats this time around.
Old 06-29-16, 05:52 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Glad you're back to riding. Good luck with the weight loss. Clipless pedals are great. I'm 71 and use Speedplay Light Action. I have the 2012 version of what they now call Ultra Light Action.
Have fun on the bike.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 06-29-16, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I encourage you on your quest for better health. If you are a true diabetic, you need insulin shots, but if you are a TypeII diabetic, you simply have hyperglycemia, which can be controlled totally by diet.

I will just say a few things in that vein:

1. Don't rely on cycling to lose weight without further dietary alterations. You will most likely hit a wall and be disappointed and discouraged.

2. Don't use weight as the only measurement, measure your waistline, too. As you cycle more, you gain muscle, which by volume weighs several X as much as fat.

3. TypeII, or adult onset/obesity related diabetes is 100% controllable with diet. I encourage you to have a goal of getting off insulin shots. Insulin puts incites cells to turn excess carbs into fat and thereby makes weigh loss even harder.

4. Do not eat white starch of any kind, period. Obviously, sweets are like poison. Only whole grain or low glycemic index grains (and very little of that). Eat a primarily vegan diet, stay away from dairy products entirely (lots of carbs and fat). Eat lots of green vegetables. I strongly recommend checking out Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations on his "nutritarian" diet. If you do this, expect your blood sugar to come down dramatically and thus, your insulin dosage.

4. Good idea to have a general physical and consult a weight loss or metabolic Dr. and tell him you want to get off insulin.

Good luck I know you will feel better about yourself, others and the world!!
Old 06-29-16, 07:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guy's for all the comments. Much appreciate it. Doc, thank you for the advice, I am a type 1 diabetic found out when I was 18 now I am 53. Been on shots the whole time except in the very beginning. I have cut my insulin in half just with the weight lose and dieting. Kinda of already hit the wall so biking is to help break that wall and I have already lost 2 pant sizes.
I use to really Love Biking but had to move out of state for work and my family was 6 months behind me. No support, new job is really the reason that I got away from it 20 years ago. Now I am in the state that I Love and I am going to retire in one day. I Loved my first ride yesterday looking forward to having many many more.
Old 06-29-16, 10:42 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
go, Go, GO! (But don't over do it...You're not 30-something anymore)
Old 06-29-16, 12:02 PM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome back to cycling! Sorry you stayed away for so long but good to have you back.

I've been off the bike due to a broke clavicle and I'm so addicted to cycling that the six weeks seemed like 20 years! Back on the bike since last Saturday . . . way out of shape (plus I gained 11 pounds) so working on building up my fitness and dropping some pounds!

Got properly dropped on the club ride last night . . .

Rick / OCRR
Old 06-29-16, 03:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the support guy's. It helps
Old 06-29-16, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back! I also took a 40 year break since my heavy cycling days in college, just rediscovered how much fun it is to be back on a bike about 15 months ago. Lost 40 pounds, weigh less than I did when I graduated college in 1976, feel better than I have in decades, and in a much better frame of mind most days. It's hard to be in a bad mood while cycling.

Keep up the work, it's addictive as you get stronger, and fair warning that I just ordered my 4th new bike since I started cycling 15 months ago.
Old 07-01-16, 10:32 AM

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Hi from another type 1 diabetic It does create it's challenges though for the past couple of years I have been wearing an insulin pump. I always carry supplies to take care of any low blood sugar issues that can come up. Have fun
Old 07-01-16, 05:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Wished and Kermie.
It does put you in a good mind stet. Kermie thanks for the advise, I do keep a baggie of hard candie with me on the Bike.
Thanks guy's