Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How Long for gatorade to effect your ride?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-01-16, 09:17 PM

Bikes: 2012 Caad 8 105; 1994 Trek 5500

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts

I had to bargain with my Doctor about riding fasted. Bottom line, she wants me drinking Gatorade any time I ride.

I do seem to have a better ride when Gatorade is in my bottle, does it really act that fast?

I am grateful for the headwind that challenged me today!
I am grateful for the tailwind that helped me go fast!

Clydesdales and Athenas Strava Club
https://www.strava.com/clubs/clydesda...bikeforums-net
Old 07-02-16, 12:22 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
"Research has shown that the most efficient and effective sports drinks have a carbohydrate concentration of 6 – 8 percent and absorb into the bloodstream quickly, at about the rate of plain water."

Gatorade use both sucrose and glucose, and a roughly 6% carb content. People keep drinking it because I works.

I too often ride fasted, with one bottle of Gatorade and one of straight water. The bit of carbs as well as the salts make a big difference, especially in the warmer months.
Old 07-02-16, 12:36 AM
Pedaling Curmudgeon

Bikes: '17 Custom Stumpjumper Expert 6FiddyFatty / 2021 Sirrus X 5.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
You can do so much better and possibly for less $ depending on how you are buying Gatorade. Look into Tailwind Nutrition. You can survive on this alone on endurance rides or runs. With the sodium and potassium, it's readily absorbed through the gut and puts that glucose to work right away. I buy it by the 50 scoop bag for $34 and mix 250 calories (2.5 scoops) per 24 oz bottle which I take in periodically during an hour. I use the flavor that has caffiene in the mix. Thats helpful in many cases. You can determine and adjust just how many calories you want and it's sweetness. It's very easy on your gut and that's intentional. Gatorade is rot gut.

www.tailwindnutrion.com

Last edited by GrizzledBastard; 07-02-16 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 03:02 AM

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
How about something with carbohydrates added to your water bottle with half'n'half sodium potassium? Half'n'Half is available very inexpensively in the supermarket. Add a bit of sugar and flavouring and you've got yourself a very inexpensive beverage that you can tailor exactly to your needs/tlerances.

Cheers
Old 07-02-16, 04:37 AM

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
If you're drinking it at the start of your ride you probably won't be able to notice how fast it affects you. However if you drink it after your ride when you're a little energy depleted,you'll notice the affect immediately. Ymmv.
I'd stick with what the Doc said, providing your tummy can handle it. If it doesn't agree with you, then look for a replacement. In my experience doctors know more than what we give them credit for.

Last edited by texaspandj; 07-02-16 at 04:54 AM.
Old 07-02-16, 05:55 AM
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
"The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 30-60 grams of carbohydrate per hour of exercise"

So about a bottle per hour seems good -- if a bottle contains 34 grams of carbs.

I think that if you are out for 1 hour, you won't notice a difference. If you spend the first hour of your cycling trip drinking one bottle of gatorade, I think by the middle to end of the second hour, you'll probably notice that you feel less-diminished than if you didn't intake any carbs at all. I'm more a fan of carbs in the form of a solid food and drinking water, I would have definitely asked my doctor about that option...like if you started with a snack with jelly, then every hour at that same snack with jelly, and just drank water when you were thirsty. For me anything 1.5 hours to 2 I have no problem just filling one bottle with gatorade though.
Old 07-02-16, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
What is the purpose of riding fasted? How long is the ride?
When I ride 6 or 7 hours I always eat before and during the ride. Sometimes I have Gatorade during a ride but I don't make a point of it.
Old 07-02-16, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
It only takes a few minutes for me to start feeling like garbage after drinking Gatorade.
Old 07-02-16, 11:50 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've been riding with one bottle of Gatorade and one bottle of water for years. Never had a problem.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-02-16, 11:51 AM
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
And here I am, buying Gatorade for $3.75 a gallon, thankful my constitution is tough enough to handle drinking ~16oz of it a day. Well, also thankful that I don't have to resort to anything 3X the cost. I imagine someday I'll be relegated to the powders, gels and chews crowd, but today is not that day.
Old 07-02-16, 11:54 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
It only takes a few minutes for me to start feeling like garbage after drinking Gatorade.
It doesn't mix well with beer.

Old 07-02-16, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
For me, I start feeling effects of food or drink about 15 to 20 minutes, give or take a little, after consumption. There are some chemical and physical processes that must occur, and I suspect they are not instantaneous.
Old 07-02-16, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It doesn't mix well with beer.
That would have been funny, but I don't drink beer.
Old 07-02-16, 01:14 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Used to have a neighbor whose favorite between-commutes (two part time jobs and school, averaging about 8-10 miles each) snack was a Whataburger cinnamon roll with 1-2 mocha Clif gels squeezed onto it, (mostly depending on whether she had a headwind that day) washed down with a 1L Coke. Then after work, she'd eat a large Papa John's pizza for dinner, swap to the road bike and go for a training ride. AFAIK, she only ever carried water in her bottles.
Old 07-02-16, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Used to have a neighbor whose favorite between-commutes (two part time jobs and school, averaging about 8-10 miles each) snack was a Whataburger cinnamon roll with 1-2 mocha Clif gels squeezed onto it, (mostly depending on whether she had a headwind that day) washed down with a 1L Coke. Then after work, she'd eat a large Papa John's pizza for dinner, swap to the road bike and go for a training ride. AFAIK, she only ever carried water in her bottles.
How much did she weigh? 20 miles a day at commuting speed isn't going to burn 1/4 of those calories.
Old 07-02-16, 02:07 PM

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andr0id
How much did she weigh? 20 miles a day at commuting speed isn't going to burn 1/4 of those calories.
About 125, mostly muscle, but she also wasn't a typical commuter; she carried full panniers to and from the school, swapped them out when she got home for the ones with her work clothes, and rode the whole commute like it was resistance training. On days she worked both jobs, that would be 8 miles to school, 8 back home to snack and change panniers, 10 miles to one job, 6 to the other, and around 9 home. 41 miles before switching to the unloaded road bike for another 1-2 hours of riding.
Old 07-02-16, 02:42 PM
U.I.O.G.D.

Bikes: Bassi Hog's Back gravel/bikepacking, Bombtrack Hook 2 gravel, Marinoni Genius/Campy Record, Marinoni Special EL-OS/Campy Record (retired to permanent indoor trainer), Rocky Mountain hybrid, Rocky Mountain mtb Cervelo R3 Team/Campy Chorus FOR SALE

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 17 Posts
I find Gatorade acts very fast, almost instantly. On a long ride, I'll use two bottles of it. On a shorter ride, one each of Gatorade and water, with water as the back-up. In hot weather I'll prepare the Gatorade mix the night before, and freeze the bottles to keep them colder longer. Solid food is important too though, if I take Gatorade on an empty stomach for two long I get a stomach ache.
Old 07-02-16, 05:45 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom

Same here! I find that electrolyte tablets work so much better and I don't feel like crap as I do when I drink Gatorade.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 07-02-16, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Gatorade is mostly a marketing success.

a lot of people don't ride long/hard enough to need electrolyte replacement...but, they buy into the advertising and chug the crap anyway.
Old 07-02-16, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FullGas
Gatorade is mostly a marketing success.

a lot of people don't ride long/hard enough to need electrolyte replacement...but, they buy into the advertising and chug the crap anyway.
Not worth starting a war over this, but I've read volumes about the absence of any reason for Gatorade - and even more about the negative effects of any of these sports drinks. Personally, these days, I just drink a ton of water when I am doing a long (50-60 miles for this old man) ride in the sweltering summer heat and I feel much better than when I used to arrive at my destination with a sugar hangover. In my younger days, I also experimented with electrolyte tablets and other expensive stuff from the health food store and they never made me feel any different than when I rode without them.
Old 07-02-16, 07:53 PM
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 380 Times in 305 Posts
I love fruit punch Gatorade but not on the ride. Not even watered down.

But it's only because it doesn't quench thirst for me as well as plain water.

Last edited by Zinger; 07-02-16 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-02-16, 07:58 PM
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On long rides I take one Powerade and one water. On short rides and while commuting it's just water.
Old 07-02-16, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
What is the purpose of riding fasted? How long is the ride?
When I ride 6 or 7 hours I always eat before and during the ride. Sometimes I have Gatorade during a ride but I don't make a point of it.
A body that always has access to carbohydrates will shut down beta-oxidation and be almost unable to derive energy from fat stores. Exercising while fasting is one way to force the body to uninhibit b-ox and thus make a second energy source available. The result is increased endurance and weight loss, at a cost of some uncomfortable time in the saddle.

This was the entire premise of "carbo loading" back in the '70s. Unfortunately, the exercising while low on carbohydrate intake part got lost in translation and all anyone ever heard about was consuming carbohydrates immediately prior to an event, which was simply to top-off glycogen stores.

I suspect the modern trend towards consuming gels and sweet drinks while riding, as though we are all riding grand tours all the time, is one of the reasons why we see so many cyclists with enormous guts. They turn the excess carbohydrate into fat stores, but that's a dead-end since fat cannot be turned back into carbohydrate (unless you're a plant) and they have effectively shut down their ability to turn fat into energy.
Old 07-02-16, 08:58 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
I don't drink sweet sports drinks. I prefer a good dark unpasteurized ale with active yeast. Feels reinvigorating within 5-15 minutes (if by reinvigorating I mean buzzed, which I probably do). Alas, it's a seasonal thing and not readily available everywhere year 'round.

Semi-seriously, which is all the seriously I can manage, I find the effects of a single beer, or even half a beer, much more beneficial in energy boosting and and longer lasting. After a long ride I'll nurse a beer for about an hour before heading home (often another 10-20 miles). No buzz, just refreshing and longer lasting than energy drinks or even coffee.
Old 07-03-16, 05:30 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by SammyJ
I had to bargain with my Doctor about riding fasted. Bottom line, she wants me drinking Gatorade any time I ride.

I do seem to have a better ride when Gatorade is in my bottle, does it really act that fast?
Sammy - three questions...

By "fasted", do you mean you get up in the morning, skip breakfast except maybe for a cup or two of black coffee, and head out on your ride? This is the commonly accepted meaning of "fasted."

Why do you want to ride in a fasted state?

How long and hard are your rides?

Fasted riding, as described above, is done to train your body to use your fat stores rather than just carbs for energy at low-to-medium levels of exertion, thereby saving your glycogen stores for more intense parts of your ride. It's a gradual process. If you get up in the morning, eat your regular breakfast and then go for your ride, it's not a "fasted" ride. If you go out after breakfast and your ride is at a comfortable pace for an hour or two, you don't need additional calories, just water and in hot weather electrolytes.

Next time you speak with your doctor, ask her if she wants you to use Gatorade for the calories or for the electrolytes. If the latter, there are other options like Nuun tablets or a home brew using lite salt.

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.