Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rookie mistake with clipless pedals.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Rookie mistake with clipless pedals.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-05, 12:40 PM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
What size are yo feet? I bought a pair of Specialized shoes, rode around the block one time, and put them back in the box forever. I'm planning on selling on e-Bay. These are Specialized Sport MTBs in size 47 (EU), 13.5 (USA).

see PM
Old 05-20-05, 01:52 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
They're all too narrow, they all have a stiff sole that prevents normal walking, the road shoes have cleats that tear up floors and that get damaged if you walk on pavement, they're all too expensive, and they're all a waste of money. I guess that just about sums it up. Oh - and if you get anything but the exactly correct type of shoes AND cleats, they won't work with your pedals.
I use mtn bike clipless shoes.

They don't tear up the floor, they keep me connsected to my bike, they walk on pavement just fine - and I especially like the sandals - and they don't tear up anything.

My sandals and my shoes interchange completely with no problems.

Wow, you must have had a bad dealer somewhere!

My shoes cost about $39 and my sandals $78. The mtn biking Shimano cleats were about $50.00.

And I LOVE THEM!
Old 05-20-05, 01:54 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're all too narrow, they all have a stiff sole that prevents normal walking, the road shoes have cleats that tear up floors and that get damaged if you walk on pavement, they're all too expensive, and they're all a waste of money. I guess that just about sums it up. Oh - and if you get anything but the exactly correct type of shoes AND cleats, they won't work with your pedals.
I paid less than $30 for my cycling sandals and I can definitely walk in them without discomfort and without tearing up the floor or damaging the pavement as the clip is recessed. I took them with me to the LBS and paid $50 for a pair of Shimano pedals to fit the sandals.

So far, it has been a positive experience for me, even including one fall. I'm working on getting better at spinning and I feel being clipped in helps me keep my feet properly located.
Old 05-20-05, 06:39 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I said I was in the minority - I know the majority of youse guys just *LOVE* your clipless pedals and shoes. I don't deny they may be the Paris Hilton if you want to climb or if you want to stink of racing - but they aint me. The shoes I bought were MTB shoes with recessed cleats. They still tear up the floor, scrape on pavement, and make walking absurd. Each to their own.
Old 05-21-05, 08:18 PM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Not all, cannondale makes a pair of MTB that are WIDE. I wear 10.5 EEE and size 11 fit. I did not have to go to size 12 to get a fit. Cost was fair, $60. I cheated for fit. I went to the same performance shop I always go to and had the salesman [store manager] put the cleats in the shoes. They work fine. I don't yet work with them. I took a 5 min spin and had one fall, putting the cleats IN. I expected to fall trying to clip out and not in.

Do I like them, heck if I know. It's way way too early to say. I'll know in a couple of weeks. I don't plan to walk much in them. My plan is to ride to work, switch to tennies for the day, switch back for ride home and leave 1..2 pair of tennies at work. Now if I can just adjust to the clip in/out without falling too much, i.e. at all. I'm going to struggle with the process because even in the short ride I did, it was easier to pedal since I could push and pull.
Old 05-23-05, 08:33 AM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't know about others, but a temporary solution I have found to getting used to clipless shoes is to pedal one to two revs and then clip in. After one ride in this is what I observered:

1. not magic bullet, still have to pump legs
2. feels about like a 1/2 to one gear change
3. speed increases about 1/2 to 1 mph with same effort.

This is without learning new mechanics where now can use more effectient stroking.

I was really distracted today trying to adjust to a helmet mirror, fingerless gloves and clips.
Since I use them for commuting, I now have a pair of tennies at work and change when I get in.

Is this about the experience you all have had with clipless pedals? I think I'll probably fall on the pavement at least once. It was funny, a dad had two eight year olds riding around the soccer fields parking lot when I was trying to learn to clip in/out on the soccer fields. They took encouragement that even an old dude will fall.
Old 05-24-05, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally went clipless 5 years ago, and haven't fallen, yet. Started with Shimano PD-M324 pedals, which are SPD on one side, platform on the other. Use the platform (not clipped in) when in traffic or tired, and enjoy clipless when cranking miles. Tension is on lightest setting, and can easily clip out by turning ankle in any direction. Shoes are touring (Carnac Ventoux) or Shimano sandals, and are comfortable to walk in.
Old 05-25-05, 09:29 AM
Rides again

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have similar pedals. Platform on one side and clip on the other.

How do you adjust tension? I have to think hard, clip out, and crank the leg out to unclip. They don't unclip if I turn the leg counter clockwise.
Old 05-28-05, 09:20 PM

Bikes: 05 Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Okay, which 50+ folks have NEVER fallen (due primarily to their failure to clip out appropriately)?

I fell twice within the first month of getting them, in 1999. Never since.

Anyone with the claim to fame of "Never Fallen because of clips?"

Of course, for this claim, you must use clipins!
It does surprise me, but after 3260 miles since February of last year, I have not fallen once! I've got Shimano PD-A515 pedals, first on a Fuji Finest, then on a Specialized Roubaix. I started out just riding around the neighborhood and unclipping one pedal at least 50-75 feet before I planned to stop. I actually had more trouble with my cleats feeling really slick & thinking one foot would slip trying to swing my leg over the seat when I'd start up. But it turned out that I had set my seat a little too high which contributed to the awkward feeling.
Old 05-29-05, 04:22 AM
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just a duffer recreational rider, riding to improve fitness and lose weight.

I hate the feeling of riding without clipless pedals. My connection to platform pedals is too vague, constantly repositioning my foot on the platform. At a stop it's awkward getting a pedal into the starting (up & forward) position... with clipless I just lift my leg.

I've never fallen all the way over with them either, although I have had some close calls. As I approach a stop I unclip my right foot and put it on the ground as I stop, simultaneously positioning the left one for starting off by lifting that leg.

I use Speedplay Frogs and the huge amount of float they have is kind to my knees. I have two pair of MTB shoes (Sidi Dominator and Carnac Sirius) with Frog cleats installed on both pair.

San Francisco, California