Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Gel snacks

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-05, 04:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Gel snacks

They look disgusting and unappetizing, but they might be good. Has anyone tried any of them? What do you think?
Old 05-26-05, 05:49 PM
Out of Commission

Bikes: Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to think the same. My gel of choice that I use almost daily is Carb Boom. The apple cinnamon flavor is pretty similar to the filling of a Hostess apple pie. I also use their Vanilla Orange flavor it's spiked with caffeine. I have tasted some hideous gels on organized rides, where they are supplied. The Gu chocolate flavor is pretty good too. I think that gels are a must on long rides, especially self-supported rides where you can only stuff your pockets with limited items.
Old 05-26-05, 05:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I started using Hammer Gel last year, to supplement the Perpetuem energy mix I used on some longer, tougher rides. Between the two, I surprised myself a few times by not bonking during some pretty tough performances. If you use gel, remember it takes 20 minutes to hit the bloodstream; so you have to know ahead of time when that monster hill is going to rear its ugly head.
Old 05-26-05, 08:23 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I use Gu Gels--both Banana Blitz and Tri Berry. I find they provide both a mental boost and also get some additional physical spark. They are not substitute for other nutrition but are an excellent additive for me.
Old 05-27-05, 11:44 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
On the longer rides I do, I carry one as it is a quick boost for a short while. They are not a substitute for good eating on the rides, but when you just have to put in that bit more effort, or the Carbo loading has run out, It Will give you a bit of time for that last hill, or untill the Sandwiches start working.
I last used one on a 100miler, 4 miles from the end, when I knew that the last hill was going to take a little more effort than I wanted to put in. It worked.
Old 05-28-05, 12:14 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not so discriminate...I use whatever gel is at hand. They digest more rapidly (don't sit lumpishly in your stomach), are easy to consume while riding, and provide, for me, more of an energy edge than a sudden, lasting renewal. Works best for me if I take them with a fair amount of water. Only real drawback is sticky fingers...and that cake frosting/syrupy sweetness.
Old 05-28-05, 12:19 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jackb
They look disgusting and unappetizing, but they might be good. Has anyone tried any of them? What do you think?
I use Powergel with a reasonable fruit flavor. It seems to work fine for a quick energy boost at the end of a hard ride. I also have used it between races. In the Senior Games circuit here in Florida, they run the 5K & 10K time trials one after the other. I find that after finishing the 5K, it helps me re-energize for the 10K by consuming a gel pack with water.
Old 05-28-05, 03:54 PM
fredelicious mini-masher

Bikes: Specialized Ruby

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I ride hard enough to feel nauseous, but I still have miles to go...I love gels then. I like Carb Boom vanilla orange. Tastes like frosting, and definitely got me through my first metric century.
Old 05-29-05, 08:15 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I always take two Power Gels on my weekend rides and I always have a few in my panniers on my commuter, just in case. They taste great.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.