Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Rookie mistake with clipless pedals.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-05, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Clipless pedals - I am new to these things. I picked up my new Specialized Roubaix last Sat., and am getting used to riding it. I have been riding Hybrids with regular pedals for the last 8 years. Handling characteristics of the Roubaix are a lot different than those of my trusty Fisher Zebrano. On my first time out on the Roubaix, I just cruised around my neighborhood, practicing engaging and disengaging my shoes from the pedals. The second time out I did the 20 mile route that I have done to date on the Zebrano. There are 4 places on this route that usually require coming to a full stop. The first 3 went OK - I got my shoes detached/attached in good shape. At the 4th stop, I busted my arse quite nicely. Fortunatley, I had already come to a stop. I detached my right foot first, with the leg fully extended. I tried to hurry with the left foot, got hung up, and tipped over (to my left side) in to a car that was wating on the light in the left turn lane. This, of course solicited shreiks of dismay from the mother and daughter that were in the car. No damage was done to the car or my bike. I picked up a chain ring bite on my right leg, and a skinned knee. Out side of humiliating myself in public, all ended well. Any recommendations from experienced riders regarding the art of operating clipless pedals will be appreciated. My first experience with the things was amazing - what a difference. I aim to join the local cycling club, and participate in longer rides that hopefully have fewer stops to contend with.
Old 05-17-05, 11:14 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenRiver
well. Any recommendations from experienced riders regarding the art of operating clipless pedals will be appreciated. My first experience with the things was amazing - what a difference. I aim to join the local cycling club, and participate in longer rides that hopefully have fewer stops to contend with.
Best recommendation is to set them up loose. I can't ride like that now but it is easier to get out of them. One of my first rides with them was a 100miler, and I got on fine with them-Till a quick brake as the trail turned left and we hadn't spotted it left me in a heap. Haven't fallen off since as far as I can remember, but one of our highlights on our rides, is slowing right down, then doing a Trackstand, and watch the newcomer to SPD's panic.
Old 05-17-05, 11:29 AM

Bikes: Motobecane, Douglas, Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's no need to unclip both feet unless you're getting off the bike. Unclip just one side before you come to a stop. Stand on the pedal that's still clipped in, and roll to a stop, placing your free foot down on the ground. Don't unclip too early or you'll forget which foot you unclipped and "fall" the wrong way (I've done this).
Old 05-17-05, 11:34 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
practice makes perfect
in fact once you get used to them you'll never want to go back to the clip-type pedals
i used to ride detto pietro shoes with nailed on cleats (30 years ago)
the clipless pedals provide a much greater degree of freedom in leg movement without loss of upward power

enjoy
Old 05-17-05, 02:42 PM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Jamis Aurora '02; Takara Medalist (650B)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Always

Before stopping, unclip
then stop...
Whenever I see a potential stopping point, I at least get ready to unclip (it's a mental thing)

I used clipless for the first this Feb (SPD's) have not had a fall yet (knock on wood)... BUT
I pitched the SPD's in favor of Speedplay Frogs
They are bit easier to get in and out and have much more forgiving 'play' or float (I have a bad knee) They are great. They are a bit more $$ but I got a pair in great shape second hand and saved some dough
Old 05-17-05, 02:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
practice makes perfect
in fact once you get used to them you'll never want to go back to the clip-type pedals
i used to ride detto pietro shoes with nailed on cleats (30 years ago)
the clipless pedals provide a much greater degree of freedom in leg movement without loss of upward power

enjoy
Ditto - just to reaffirm - I never unclip both pedals unless I am dismounting my bike.

Unclip the side that seems natural - the same one all the time, and get used to leaning your bike to that side automatically. Works like a charm. Also, you can take off faster as youa lready have one foot clipped in, giving you an edge.
Old 05-17-05, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I see that you have gotten plenty of advice. Just know that we have all been there done that. The first day I went clipless, I too experienced the incredibly helpless, frustrating, embarrassing incident of slowly and helplessly falling over.

Also, know that it even happens on occasion to very experienced cyclists. My fiancé’s son is a pro, and while at the Olympic training center in Colorado Springs, he came on a group of female Olympians. He was so much concentrating on them, that he unclipped unsuccessfully, and unceremoniously fell over in front of them. He describes it as the most embarrassing moment of his life!

If it is good enough for him, we mere motals can ocassionally find ourselves on our keisters!
Old 05-17-05, 07:59 PM

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot U08, unknown MTB circa 1980, '93? Merckx MX-Leader

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey rookie, it will happen AGAIN. Last ride, my buddy did the same on his neat shiny Cervelo. This guy is hugely experienced. He recently completed an epic trip pedaling across SE Asia, Turkey and all of Europe. Just don't hurt yourself and smile when you get up!

Tyson
Old 05-18-05, 06:03 AM

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Just to echo some advice; set them up loose for a few weeks and ALWAYS unclip well before you stop. I unclip my weaker leg (my left) so I'm clipped and ready to push off at stop lights with my right. After many years of clips getting into them quickly at stop lights with traffic behind me, is still the toughest part. After a while it's just like using a stick shift...you won't even think about it.

My first fall over was onto a city curb that had just been painted bright traffic yellow....it amused the pedestrians as I was trying to look cool and ruined one pair of now bumble bee colored shorts.

Steve
Old 05-18-05, 06:15 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Okay, which 50+ folks have NEVER fallen (due primarily to their failure to clip out appropriately)?

I fell twice within the first month of getting them, in 1999. Never since.

Anyone with the claim to fame of "Never Fallen because of clips?"

Of course, for this claim, you must use clipins!
Old 05-18-05, 07:47 AM

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on my back doing the “Turtle” more than once! Have not experienced it for a while ….. hope I didn't jinx myself.
Old 05-18-05, 10:06 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have had a few embarrasing falls. Usually it happens when I make a sudden, expected stop.
Old 05-18-05, 11:27 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for the advice and recommendations. I just got back from another "trial" ride; this time with all body parts intact. It looks as though I will be putting the "2000 perfect repetitions = muscle memory" theory to the test here.
Old 05-18-05, 07:56 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- tks for the anecdote... now i'm too scared about what will happen to me, and will never use clipless pedals!

:-)
Old 05-18-05, 09:20 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by linux_author
- tks for the anecdote... now i'm too scared about what will happen to me, and will never use clipless pedals!

:-)
There is nothing wrong with good old-fashioned toeclips, which I still have on all of my bikes. The thought of having clipless on one or two bikes and clips on the others and reacting properly as I come to an emergency stop scares me. (I am a natural-born klutz, rather than a natural athlete.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-18-05, 09:30 PM
scofflaw

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you remember "Laugh-In"? I did the classic Arnie Johnson( I stopped and then fell over to my right) at a stop light because I forgot I was clipped in! UFF DA!!! besides being completely embarassed I think I scared the motorists. Now, as I approach a stop, light or sign I clip out. In group rides I'll clip out earlier then I need to, because of the element of unpredictability.
Old 05-19-05, 07:05 PM

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
There is nothing wrong with good old-fashioned toeclips, which I still have on all of my bikes. The thought of having clipless on one or two bikes and clips on the others and reacting properly as I come to an emergency stop scares me. (I am a natural-born klutz, rather than a natural athlete.)
Okay, I haven't fallen with my SPDs, but then I've only had them for a week. I did, however, keel over rather dramatically the first time I ever used toe clips.
Old 05-19-05, 07:54 PM
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I fell at the end of my first ride with clipless. Pulled up to the car, stopped, and opps! Forgot I was riding clipless and fell over.
Old 05-19-05, 08:22 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GreenRiver
Any recommendations from experienced riders regarding the art of operating clipless pedals will be appreciated.
I'm in a distinct minority, but since you asked.. Get rid of the clipless pedals and the funky shoes, and go back to a set of pedals with no connections all. This is safer, more comfortable, and not significantly less efficient than being clipped, strapped, or otherwise mechanically attached to the bike. If you're climbing a lot, I can see where "ankling" (as it used to be euphamistically called) might help, but in general, don't bother with clips or straps.

In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).
Old 05-19-05, 08:22 PM
bici accumulatori

Bikes: 1985 Nishiki International Touring Bike, 1992 Vitus 979 road bike, 1996 Bianchi Premio road bike, 2002 Thin Blue LIne CO2 mountain bike, 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa touring bike, 1964 CCM roadster, 1959 CCM Motorbike, 2002 KHS FXT mtb + more to fix!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am fortunate that after a year of clipless pedals, I have not fallen off the road bike due to "failure to unclip" My first real ride with them was on the MTB through lots of rock gardens - lots of slow falls into rocks due to unclip failures. I guess the character building exercise worked, at least for road bikes. I still have the occasional moment on the mountain bike, but have found that the secret to traversing rock gardens is to ride faster!
Old 05-20-05, 09:31 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm planning on taking the plunge this weekend and getting some clipless shoes. Is there anything I need to know or watch for. Or are they all about the same and just get a pair that fits well?
Old 05-20-05, 09:36 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
I'm planning on taking the plunge this weekend and getting some clipless shoes. Is there anything I need to know or watch for. Or are they all about the same and just get a pair that fits well?
They're all too narrow, they all have a stiff sole that prevents normal walking, the road shoes have cleats that tear up floors and that get damaged if you walk on pavement, they're all too expensive, and they're all a waste of money. I guess that just about sums it up. Oh - and if you get anything but the exactly correct type of shoes AND cleats, they won't work with your pedals.
Old 05-20-05, 09:43 AM
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, I'm not sure I'ld like them, so target price for first pair is < $50. I can always upgrade later if lower quality shoes, but didn't want to waste $100 on shoes I either can't adjust to or don't work any better than the normal platform.
Old 05-20-05, 09:47 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
well, I'm not sure I'ld like them, so target price for first pair is < $50. I can always upgrade later if lower quality shoes, but didn't want to waste $100 on shoes I either can't adjust to or don't work any better than the normal platform.
What size are yo feet? I bought a pair of Specialized shoes, rode around the block one time, and put them back in the box forever. I'm planning on selling on e-Bay. These are Specialized Sport MTBs in size 47 (EU), 13.5 (USA).
Old 05-20-05, 10:49 AM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I'm in a distinct minority, but since you asked.. Get rid of the clipless pedals and the funky shoes, and go back to a set of pedals with no connections all. This is safer, more comfortable, and not significantly less efficient than being clipped, strapped, or otherwise mechanically attached to the bike. If you're climbing a lot, I can see where "ankling" (as it used to be euphamistically called) might help, but in general, don't bother with clips or straps.

In My Humble Opinion (IMHO).
I agree. I did my first Europe tour clipless, but now I just tour with running shoes that have good support. It has the advantage of being easier when pushing the bike up a hill (no shame in that) or walking into shops, restaurants, museums, etc. My panniers are lighter with 1 less pair of shoes. On my weekend rides I sometimes wear the cleats and sometimes the running shoes, and I really can't say I lose much efficiency with the running shoes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.