User Tag List

My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Zebrano
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Repair kit for the road.

Well, I admit it, I have never changed a flat by myself. I flatted once on my hybrid and had a nice 3 mile walk the bike home session as a result. Fortunately, the other flats that I have had were discovered before going out for a ride. To date, these have been repaired at my LBS. As I am now entering the world of road biking, I realize that I need to learn how to take care of this stuff myself. I know that I will never flat close to home, only when I'm out in BFE. So here I am again, asking for advise from folks that have experience with this type of thing. What all do I need to bring with me when out on long rides? Is there a preferred tecnique for detachment/reattachment of wheels while in the field? What type of pack do you all like for carrying the required tools? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like your best bet would be to attend one of the classes taught at many local bike shops on basic bike maintenance. Most of the time such classes deal mainly with things that you run into while cycling such as flats. I personally carry two tubes, a patch kit, air pump, tire levers, several tie wraps and a multi-tool. I also carry a piece of mtb tube material which can be used to cover a tire tear or a strip can be cut off if it to tie some things together. On multi day rides I carry much more. You wonder why two tubes? On a typical Saturday century ride I have needed both tubes. Normally I don't need any, but often I have given one away to someone who "forgot" to bring a tube.

By the way, often the basic maintenance classes are either free or very cheap. If you have any REI stores in your area I know the ones around here have an excellent basic maintenance class. Jeff

My Bikes
    Sirrus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you've actually fixed your first flat you'll probably have a better sense of what tools and accessories you'll want on the road and how large a bag you'll need to hold them.

In addition to the usual spare inner tube, patch kit, tire irons, and pump, I've started carrying rubber gloves to keep my hands clean, and some wet wipes. The pump just takes too long so I've added a CO2 inflation system. Not surprisingly, fitting all this stuff, along with a map, multi-tool and other miscellaneous stuff into my weggie bag isn't easy.

Stacy

My Bikes
    mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your local bike shops - we have one here that at least once a year has evening lessons for folks like me that are mechanically challenged.

Check http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/contact.html#email for minor repairs - flats etc. Check Google for Mike Maintenance - there are lots of good sites.

If flats worry you - check out Specialized's Kevlar tires "Armadillos" with "Slime added " - I just finished about 1200 miles on a set with no flats.

Tom
    Honolulu

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only carry basic tools in my saddle bag

Spare tube,3x tyre levers,Puncture repair kit, multitool, Spoke Key and a pump on the bike.

If I require anymore than this, the the mobile phone and the nearset Cafe while I am waiting to be picked up come in handy.

You can finish up carrying too many tools with you, and just to give you an idea- My Tandem kit also includes 2x extra tubes, chains and chainbreaker, Cables and cable cutters, Spare folding tyre, and proper tools to repair any breakdown. That needs a top bag on the pannier to carry it all in, but there is no way that that all of it is necessary. It is there just in case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you've been shown how to change a tire it's easy. Practice at home before you try it on the road. It's easier to do the first few times when there's no pressure.

I always carry 1 tube, 3 CO2 carts, patch kit, multi tool and some pieces of Tyvek (to use as tires boots, rim tape, etc).

Depending on how far I'm riding and if I'm riding solo I'll add a 2nd tube, 1 CO2 cart and a mini pump.

I don't carry tire levers sicne I can take my tires off and put them on with my hands. YMMV.

I carry everything in an expandable seat bag so I don't need a separate bag when I carry the extra things.

My Bikes
    Klein, Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this one. Every tool you should need, even if you are alone. This is also an expandable seat wedge for extra tube, CO2, etc. Aside from this, a pump would be an option.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4218