Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trainer or night rider

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trainer or night rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-16, 08:04 PM
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1018 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
There's magic in a night ride on barely-traveled roads.

There's not much on a trainer except sweat.

That describes my feelings too. And until about four years ago I lived in a house where out the driveway I could be on such a route where I could get a decent 20 mile out-and-back ride. I was known to take off at 10:30pm on some occasions. But where I live now I can't get to a route like that without encountering some narrower, heavily traveled streets/roads. So, I don't ride at night anymore )-:

The only problem I had riding at night was visibility. Not that was WASN'T visible, but being to noticeable to the crazies who come out at night. Riding that same route mentioned above during the daylight would be pretty uneventful. But from time to time in the dark I'd get yelled at by someone in a passing car, and a couple of times had beer cans thrown at me. In hindsight maybe that's and indication that I shouldn't have been out there. But...cycling at night isn't for the timid.

The last thing I'd say is that before you go...ride the course in daylight to see where trouble spots are located...like potholes, gravel, etc. Those things don't always show up great under artificial light.

Dan
Old 10-12-16, 10:12 PM

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Most of my rides are in the dark, but not at night. I'm out of the house by 4:30 weekday mornings. I have good lights and do enjoy riding in the suburbs of L.A. without very much traffic.