Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Location to retire??

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Location to retire??

Old 10-22-16, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
I've worked and lived all over the U.S. Literally. I have determined that I, personally, will move to the Tucson AZ area when I finally retire. The heat can be adapted to and it even snows on MT Lemon.
On my very short list as well. Where I live now in Colorado and Tucson were a first choice toss-up.
Old 10-22-16, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Central arkansas has a lot going for it, cheap housing, beautiful fall and spring ( two weeks ) great riding, road and mountain,( avid groups of riders. )
As usual there is a downside- july, august and september are hot and sweaty, ( we still ride. )
As bike arkansas alluded to, when you look around or visit other places and weigh it up we have a lot going for us. But we're in the bible belt and attitudes are somewhat conservative not to say backward but it's changing for the better all the time.
Old 10-22-16, 09:28 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Hawaii (Big Island), North Kohala coast.
I think OP wanted
Good health care options.
So unless traveling to Honolulu is your idea of nearby medical...

scott s.
Old 10-22-16, 09:31 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
+1. I live in a county next to Charlotte. All the 'big city' amenities are nearby, and a 20 minute drive gets me to rural rolling hill riding areas where I often don't see a car for ten minutes or more at a time. Any sunny winter's day is a riding day. Three hours drive east or west, mountain or ocean communities abound. Lots of variety from which to choose.
Curious if there is any advantage or point to living in So Carolina in the Charlotte area?

scott s.
Old 10-23-16, 01:32 AM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Curious if there is any advantage or point to living in So Carolina in the Charlotte area?

scott s.
Prices of real estate vary inversely with distance from Charlotte, that is, in general. If you are retirement age, the school quality is likely not a factor. The price of gasoline has historically been less in SC, but I believe that difference is less than it used to be. You can buy more awesome fireworks in SC, so there are definitely some perks to looking south. Lots of people regularly clog the roads leading to Charlotte from all directions, every day, so there must be something attractive about living across the border. I'm where I am because I grew up and worked the farm here, but I am considering a move to the coast (because that's where the ocean is). Looking for a small town there, a short drive from a larger city, TBD.
Old 10-23-16, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Movin to Montana soon....
Old 10-23-16, 05:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You stated that Nashville was too hot for you, so I wouldn't even consider an area further south than it. Since you are retiring , I would also look for tax " friendly " states for retirees ! Don't forget to figure in real estate & personal property taxes, too.

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees
Old 10-23-16, 06:59 AM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Wife and I have been thinking along the OP's line of 'Where do I want to retire' for well over ten years now. We're looking for less snow and less cloud-cover than the Cleveland OH area. This area is great in the summer, but the winters suck! I worked outside as a mail carrier for 33 years, and I'm sick of seeing snow! We'd also like some roll to the land, unlike the glacier-scoured flatness of Northern Ohio!

Initially we kind of liked the Greensboro NC area - especially north of town - near Reidsville. Property is cheap, etc. Greensboro - a very clean city - is just 30 miles away.

Other areas we're looking into: You'd have to draw a 25-mile circle around these locations...
Knoxville area - specifically east of there 30 miles or so, Dandridge TN.
Northern Georgia, 50 miles north of Atlanta -- Jasper GA
Northern Alabama, between Huntsville and Chatanooga. Scottsboro AL.
One that I'm intrigued with is Texas Hill Country near Kerrville - but property can be expensive!

That linked Kiplinger report is one thing, but there are other considerations as well:
Many states have a personal property tax in addition to real estate taxes.
Sales taxes can add up in a hurry if they include groceries.
Vehicle registration. Having a $700/yr registration per vehicle gets expensive in a hurry if you have 4 cars/truck/RV, etc...
Old 10-23-16, 07:50 AM

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
Movin to Montana soon....
So you can be a dental floss tycoon? That is quite the dream, freedomrider1.
Old 10-23-16, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-23-16, 09:57 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
There was the Story of the Elderly Woman who Lived on A Luxury Cruise ship, because it cost far less than a Nursing Home.

There is the Luxury Cruise Liner Condo Ship The MS World.. The World - Luxury Residences at Sea apparently a nice Tax Haven
to claim it as your Primary residence. You buy the stateroom.
Old 10-23-16, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
There was the Story of the Elderly Woman who Lived on A Luxury Cruise ship, because it cost far less than a Nursing Home.

There is the Luxury Cruise Liner Condo Ship The MS World.. The World - Luxury Residences at Sea apparently a nice Tax Haven
to claim it as your Primary residence. You buy the stateroom.
But riding would be reduced to spin classes
Old 10-23-16, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I forgot to say if you want healthcare options Little Rock is the hospital capital of the state.
We can accommodate you with regular hospitals, speciality hospitals, rehab hospitals,nursing homes,mental health facilities,va hospitals.............
I tell you we're a happening town.
Old 10-24-16, 11:32 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
One that I'm intrigued with is Texas Hill Country near Kerrville - but property can be expensive!
Killeen. Word.

Summers: ride at daybreak, the most beautiful time of day.
Old 10-24-16, 11:39 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1657 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,050 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
But riding would be reduced to spin classes
Think outside the box.
Old 10-24-16, 12:20 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Coeur D'Alene would be my choice. If I could figure out how to get my kids to move there too I'd already be packing.
Old 10-24-16, 01:08 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Grew up in Lousiville, lived on MidOhio, NYC, NJ and two years in SC Low Country.

Just got back from the Greenville, NE/SC, SW/NC area for the Hincapie Gran Fondo. Hincapie coming home to roost has really bumped cycling in the area, and there are tons of clubs and rides available almost any day, even week days. Look at the Cycle Haus website for example.

But culturally Greenville has changed too. Dunno what they did but the city really invested in itself in the last 15 years and it seems to have really paid off. It is NOT the sad place it used to be.

When I lived in SC, I thought of Greenville as the bible thumping white trailer parkish armpit of SC. But Greenville has changed. Remarkably and dramatically. So much so that on this trip, I had my eyes open to livability and real estate considerations. Because while it still has winter, it's not a NY winter. I dunno about Greenville, but I think Asheville doesn't get as hot in the summer as KY/TN, and the mountains kinda moderate the summer. I think. Have more research to do on that.

But it seems like it's probably "ok" 10 months of the year, and you can probably find a few rideable days even in dec/jan/feb, particularly if you don't mind working farther down into SC where the sun is bright and the chill burns off most days all winter long.

Just some rambling thoughts on the matter, but I have been looking and I'm liking what I saw of the area, and I was looking with the same eye you are: could I (really?) live there.
Old 10-24-16, 01:14 PM
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
That linked Kiplinger report is one thing, but there are other considerations as well:
Many states have a personal property tax in addition to real estate taxes.
Sales taxes can add up in a hurry if they include groceries.
Vehicle registration. Having a $700/yr registration per vehicle gets expensive in a hurry if you have 4 cars/truck/RV, etc...
I'm considering splitting time... 6months+1day in PA (no bs personal property taxes, 3% income tax, cheap livable real estate, plenty of mountains) and 6months-1day in.... somewhere else.

Maybe Greenville/Asheville area. But hey, maybe someplace different every year. Why not do AirBNB for 4 months in LA this year, SF next year, Greenville year after that, etc etc etc?
Old 10-24-16, 05:11 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on Nevada? Specifically the Summerlin area. I know it's a tax friendly state and as far as I know there are a lot of good cycling options particularly in the Red Rock area. Summers are hot but that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. My wife has friends there and she is leaning in that direction.
I like the Southwest but Asheville /Greenville sound appealing as well. One thing is certain I'm fed up with northeast winters and urban congestion.
Old 10-24-16, 05:37 PM

Bikes: A few...

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Problem is that I have a Federal Civil Service pension that is taxable in many states. Wife (and myself) are also qualify for Social Security at age 62/66+ yrs. Even at 3%, that is a couple grand/yr.
Old 10-24-16, 05:47 PM

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
Asheville, North Carolina. Consistently ranked either in the top 10 best places to live.

Mountains
Good roads
Good trails
Great fishing
Great hunting
Great backpacking (Smoky Mountains)
Great food and city life but a very small town feel
4 hours from the ocean
Old 10-24-16, 06:48 PM
old fart

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Problem is that I have a Federal Civil Service pension that is taxable in many states. Wife (and myself) are also qualify for Social Security at age 62/66+ yrs. Even at 3%, that is a couple grand/yr.
Cougrrcj,

You misunderstood.
PA has a state income tax of 3.07% for regular folks, but the income taxation of retiree income (incl. public / federal pensions, social security, 401k withdrawals) is zero, zip, nada.
Old 10-25-16, 10:28 AM
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Michigan is surrounded by water, has many inland lakes, and a wonderful state 8 months of the year. Low humidity and friendly, mostly honest, midwesterners. The state is a popular destination vacation for Buckeyes, Hoosiers, and Illini.

Cheap too, relative to many areas called out above. Winters, you may prefer to spend elsewhere.
Old 10-25-16, 04:39 PM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
I think OP wanted So unless traveling to Honolulu is your idea of nearby medical...

scott s.
So not good health care options on the Big Island? I vacation in Waikoloa every spring break and it will probably where I will eventually "snowbird" to (I'm Canadian).
Old 10-25-16, 05:41 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Grew up in Lousiville, lived on MidOhio, NYC, NJ and two years in SC Low Country.

Just got back from the Greenville, NE/SC, SW/NC area for the Hincapie Gran Fondo. Hincapie coming home to roost has really bumped cycling in the area, and there are tons of clubs and rides available almost any day, even week days. Look at the Cycle Haus website for example.

But culturally Greenville has changed too. Dunno what they did but the city really invested in itself in the last 15 years and it seems to have really paid off. It is NOT the sad place it used to be.

When I lived in SC, I thought of Greenville as the bible thumping white trailer parkish armpit of SC. But Greenville has changed. Remarkably and dramatically. So much so that on this trip, I had my eyes open to livability and real estate considerations. Because while it still has winter, it's not a NY winter. I dunno about Greenville, but I think Asheville doesn't get as hot in the summer as KY/TN, and the mountains kinda moderate the summer. I think. Have more research to do on that.

But it seems like it's probably "ok" 10 months of the year, and you can probably find a few rideable days even in dec/jan/feb, particularly if you don't mind working farther down into SC where the sun is bright and the chill burns off most days all winter long.

Just some rambling thoughts on the matter, but I have been looking and I'm liking what I saw of the area, and I was looking with the same eye you are: could I (really?) live there.

I'm about 90 minutes from Greenville and agree with your perception. If the OP wants to reduce temps/humidity he needs to be looking north of Greenville though....got to get about 3000' above sea level which leads to Asheville. Property in Asheville is probable higher than Nashville but a good area to live and ride if you don't mind it being a mini San Francisco East......

BTW if you did the Gran Fondo you did a lot of my training climbs. Great area to do some riding.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.