User Tag List

My Bikes
    mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Helmet suspension straps

I have a Giro "Gila" helmet I bought in 98. It has kept me out of the emergency room at least twice.

The inner webbing / strapping is wearing out. I have searched using Google and have not been able to find replacement webbing / strapping. Does anyone know if the inner webbing / Strapping can be replaced - and if so - who to contact?

Tom

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusht8205
    I have a Giro "Gila" helmet I bought in 98. It has kept me out of the emergency room at least twice.

The inner webbing / strapping is wearing out. I have searched using Google and have not been able to find replacement webbing / strapping. Does anyone know if the inner webbing / Strapping can be replaced - and if so - who to contact?

Tom
    Hate to say it but if the straps are wearing out- The helmets had it. 7 years from a helmet and only two hard accidents on it!! One is enough for me to have replaced the helmet and in fact I am now on my 4th helmet in 3 years. Admit it- Your trusty old friend is getting old and it is about time it is pensioned off.

My Bikes
    mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I suspect you are right

Tom

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Every helmet manufacturer warns that if the helmet has saved your melon, replace it. It is possible the helmet has damage that is not visible and could lead to serious injury in the next incident.

I have listed my helmet at the top of the list of insurance claims the couple of times a driver has put me down. When the insurance adjuster tells you that the helmet looks fine; look him/her in the eye and tell them that "You and I both know that every helmet manufacturer tells us to replace any helmet that has been in an accident." Neither adjuster gave me any further grief about the rest of my claim.