Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Don't want a grandpa bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-16, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so I'm 56 and getting back into cycling after 20 years.I'm in good shape, weigh 200lbs,6' and am pretty flexible.I've gone to several bike stores checking out the caad12,super6 evo and the emomda,I don't want a grandpa bike, but when I tell them my age they automatically steer me towards the synapse or some other
endurance bike which I'm sure are all good bikes but not what I have in mind.Now I know the only way to find is to test ride them all,I know.My feeling is that if I go with the synapse or something similar,in a year or lessI will definitely want to change to my original idea,any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-16, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
There are plenty of people older than you who ride racing/performance type bikes as recreational riders. The only way to find out if it works for you is to try it.
Old 11-08-16, 08:17 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
An endurance bike is not a grandpa bike. Get a race bike if that cranks your tractor. Personally I'd opt for the bike that can take a little fatter tire (that makes it more flexible in terms of use and more comfortable) and a little wider gearing (your knees aren't getting any younger).
Old 11-08-16, 08:22 AM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Nothing wrong with a Trek Domane... it's an endurance bike.

I'm 60 and ride a Trek Emonda SLR. I've only been riding for 5 years but already put 11,000 miles on the Emonda in the past 2 seasons.
Old 11-08-16, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,179 Times in 1,469 Posts
There are three things to consider in choosing a style bike - comfort (how you feel after long rides), riding position (more aggressive aero is marginally quicker), and image (for many a race style bike motivates). The big difference in an endurance style bike is the taller head tube that gets the rider in a more upright position, and longer wheelbase that tones down quicker handling.

If you like the aggressive position and have the necessary flexibility and core strength to maintain it for a long term, the race style is for you. However the endurance style makes the rides more comfortable and enjoyable, especially after several hours on the saddle.

I have both and recently got an endurance bike with 28 mm tires. To my surprise I ride the endurance bike most of the time since I'm usually out by myself.
Old 11-08-16, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,375 Times in 720 Posts
I turn 57 this year, have a horrible back, and must stretch daily. My son has a Caad10 and I can ride it with the right stem length. If the body can fit the geometry, why not a Caad12 or Evo? They are incredible bikes, and the aluminum rides like none other. Me? I ride a Habanero road classic. Standard road geometry and love it. A Synapse will also ride well for you, and thankfully the geometry is dialed and you won't know you are riding an endurance road bike like some others out there. By the way, my friend Rob runs a Synapse and kicks my butt all day long. I'm happy to say that I am the one to convince him to ride and recapture his health. He has done just that and more!
Old 11-08-16, 08:54 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by rtague
... when I tell them my age they automatically steer me towards the synapse or some other endurance bike...
In that case, don't tell them your age, tell them what kind of bike you want.
Old 11-08-16, 09:18 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everybody for sound advice, guess I'll just have to test them all, lol, any other criteria I should consider?.
Old 11-08-16, 09:35 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Uh - you're the customer. If they won't listen to what you're telling them, find somebody who will. Even if you make the wrong choice, it's still your decision to make.
Old 11-08-16, 09:37 AM
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Some good advice here. But for goodness sakes, don't buy a race-geometry roadbike only to have it set up like a grandpa bike, ie. a stack of spacers and upturned stem with no saddle to bar drop. Seen a lot of those amongts MAMILS - yes, that's us, middle-aged men in lycra - and IMO it looks ridiculous. Like a Ferrari on white wall tires.
Old 11-08-16, 09:59 AM
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
This is probably the worst advice you'll get. Buy 2 bikes. Yup. One a hybrid, set up nice with a triple and racks for hauling grceries and chores. It will be your work horse. And get a road bike for blowing back your hair and riding the long rides. It will be like having a nice pickup AND a sports car in your garage. The point being, what gets you to spend the most amount of time on a bike...at our age, thats what we need...imho.
Old 11-08-16, 10:04 AM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
There's some middle range bikes, too. A stiffer frame and decently fast handling, with a little taller head tube, and allowing room for 28c tires. They are both fast and comfortable.

Like the Bianchi Infinito, for example.
Old 11-08-16, 10:05 AM
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
The point being, what gets you to spend the most
There's a nugget of truth in there.
Old 11-08-16, 10:29 AM

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok so I'm 56 and getting back into cycling after 20 years.I'm in good shape, weigh 200lbs,6' and am pretty flexible.I've gone to several bike stores checking out the caad12,super6 evo and the emomda,I don't want a grandpa bike, but when I tell them my age they automatically steer me towards the synapse or some other
endurance bike which I'm sure are all good bikes but not what I have in mind.Now I know the only way to find is to test ride them all,I know.My feeling is that if I go with the synapse or something similar,in a year or lessI will definitely want to change to my original idea,any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wasn't aware that giving your age was a requirement. Buy what you want.
Old 11-08-16, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by LouB
This is probably the worst advice you'll get. Buy 2 bikes. Yup. One a hybrid, set up nice with a triple and racks for hauling grceries and chores. It will be your work horse. And get a road bike for blowing back your hair and riding the long rides. It will be like having a nice pickup AND a sports car in your garage. The point being, what gets you to spend the most amount of time on a bike...at our age, thats what we need...imho.
Excellent advice, IMO. I recently posted to the Commuting Forum,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet:
  • One nearly year-round dry,clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike [Specialized S-Works] ,except for deep winter with lingering salt)
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike [Specialized Diverge Elite], just recently acquired)
  • One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike [Cannondale]with Marathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility of ice…)
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding, and easy to carry upstairs; the third is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…

Now, the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding,and now I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
…. I further craved the smoothness of the ride [of the S-Works], including the shifting, making cycle-commuting more pleasurable. Of greatest benefit, while long (greater than 40 mile) rides took the same amount of time as before, I felt much less tired at the end.

Old 11-08-16, 12:16 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
My feeling is that if I go with the synapse or something similar,in a year or lessI will definitely want to change to my original idea,any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The opposite is just as likely, getting a race bike and regret that you didn't get something more comfortable within a short time.

Test riding is certainly a start.

I know lots of really fast riders who ride aggressive group rides with the big boys on Synapse and similar bikes.

-Tim-
Old 11-08-16, 01:09 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
when I tell them my age they automatically steer me towards the synapse or some other
endurance bike which I'm sure are all good bikes but not what I have in mind.
I don't think a Synapse is a grandpa bike, but maybe it's the disk brakes you don't like.

Perhaps you'd prefer this kind of endurance bike:

Old 11-08-16, 01:13 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Around here I'm still a kid to some of the roadies and I'll be 72 next month. Don't listen to the bike shop sales people. Get the bike YOU want. Let us know what bike you get.

BTW, here are my bikes.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 11-08-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 02:50 PM
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Approaching 80yo here - have a "road bike" a mtn bike and a "utility" road bike. They all have their purposes and more than one bike is a great idea. I enjoy single track, errands, riding in the dark with lights, riding longer rides on the road bike. Have fun, whatever you decide.
Old 11-08-16, 03:15 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Dutch Opa Bikes , (Literally Grandpa Bikes) are letting You sit up proud. and ride to work in a 3 piece suit and tie if you wish.

You can be Looking Good .. GQ all the way.

But I guess You are Being steered to the MAMIL style. and expensive stuff .. have Fun ..

Old 11-08-16, 03:33 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I quit cycling for 30 years and by the time I resumed last year at age 57 I was still recovering from back and neck injuries from a car wreck several years earlier. So the first bikes I looked at were feet-forward cruisers like the Electras.

But I wasn't sure about those for hilly areas, so I bought a cheap used comfort hybrid off craigslist. The simple spring suspension fork, long wheelbase and fatter tires at moderate pressure were almost as comfortable as a sofa while still have some hill climbing capability.

I rode that for a year before recently buying a conventional 1990s era rigid fork mountain bike. I ride that now on good days when my back and neck are agreeable.

I still ride the sofa bike many days, including in the rain and for errands. It's just so dang comfortable, yet not so squishy that I can't ride it 20-60 miles in a day, with a few rest breaks.

But I would have been very limited by a grandpa bike like the Townie. It just wouldn't be a good fit for my area, which is fairly hilly, or for my preferred rides which include some modest off road rides and gravel.
Old 11-08-16, 03:42 PM
Old guy on a Bike

Bikes: Trek 7.4, Gitane Super Corsa '71, Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, Charrel '78, Tommasini Diamante, Trek Verve+

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Damn guys, look at all these old codgers weighing in. I'm 68 and humbled by these +70 & 80's dudes still riding strong. May we all keep riding for as long as life and these bodies allow us. Good for us. OP, as you can tell from the responses, you are in good company--and cant really make a bad decision--as long as you make it on 2 wheels.
Old 11-08-16, 04:16 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
The first thing you should determine is how are you going to use the bike. What type of riding are you planning on doing,i.e., fast club rides, long distance rides, pavement, gravel, MUPs, racing, ......? Get the bike that meets your need; and fit is everything.
Old 11-08-16, 04:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys,I'm genuinely touched by all the kind responses and sound advice.I was doubting my self at 56
but I'm truly inspired to hear from people in their 60's and 70's,that emonda is looking real good right now.
Old 11-08-16, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Dutch Opa Bikes, (Literally Grandpa Bikes) are letting You sit up proud. and ride to work in a 3 piece suit and tie if you wish.
wearing a 3-piece suit and a tie is something I would avoid like the plague...

wearing one while riding a bike would be unimaginably awful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.