Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-22-05, 07:52 PM   #1
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough
Is my Bike "Jinxed" ? Gremlins?

I bought a Trek Madone last year, I've rode it not yet 150 miles, with total to date of 3 flats.

I'm getting to were I carry extra tubes, cell phone, when I ride it.

1 - Piece of glass in rear tire - removed same and patched tube - mile 47
2- small puncture (thorn) front tire, mile ~85
3- TODAY, same tube from 1 above just came apart near nozzle BIG HOLE- mile ~135

I'm getting a complex out of this experience. But I'm still Riding

BTW- old faithful - a Litespeed has about 600 miles this year - no flats.
I have about 2500 miles on it..Only one flat to date (is this statement tempting fate?)- same failure at nozzle as mentioned above.
It just came apart.
Old 05-22-05, 09:54 PM   #2
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Check the brand of tubes in use on your old faithful. Are the tubes in the Trek the same? If so, just coincidence - it sometimes happens.
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 06:04 AM   #3
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: My beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
What brand and model tires are on the Trek?
My Litespeed has Conti GP3000 and I average ~1500 miles between flats.

And Jesus looking upon them saith, "With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." - Mark 10:27
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:17 AM   #4
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
Don't have half as many flats on my bikes as the others in my group but that can be put down to several factors. Correct pressures, plenty of good rubber on the tyres, puncture resistant rubber, quality of tube, the way I ride, The type of track I ride and a fair dose of good luck.

My punctures seem to occur two days after a ride when the bike is sitting in the garage. In other words I still get them, but I must be lucky to finish the rides before the tyre goes down.
stapfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 11:48 AM   #5
webist
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
Perhaps a comment to public works about street sweeping?
Old 05-23-05, 12:02 PM   #6
Applehead57
slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10
Really irritating isn't it?
I built new wheels, check my tire pressure regularly, and have stopped pinch flats.
Now running Conti GaterSkins.
Much confidence now.
Applehead57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 01:20 PM   #7
Keith99

Bikes:
Bad luck can happen. Years ago I did a 200 mile ride. Before the 20 mile mark I passed a rider at the side of the road who was fixing his 3rd flat. I remember because I gave him one of my spare tubes, he had already used his 2 spares.
Keith99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-05, 05:14 PM   #8
Red Baron

Thanks for responses, Tires on Trek are Continental Grand Prix 3000 w/ Continental Race 700 tubes.

Tires on 'old faithful' are Michelin Axial Pro, replaced bad tube last year with same above (still going strong), don't know what original/other is.

I travel same routes mostly or a variation of same, & Always check tire pressure before Ride and carry 100psi.
Yep - chalk it up to plain old bad luck, just seemed odd it happened so quickly on the same bike.
Old 05-23-05, 05:19 PM   #9
Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by webist
Perhaps a comment to public works about street sweeping?
I ride county roads, no city stuff. Gotta watch out for the glass from broken beer bottles and the occassional locust tree thorns from branches laying on the road.

Though I do travel through 1 traffic light in a small town . I am AMAZED at all the nails, screws, junk laying at this intersection. Amazing what I see there on the pavement when waiting for the light to change. ALWAYS find a penny or 2.
Old 05-23-05, 09:46 PM   #10
Wildwood

Bikes: see signature
With new Trek Madone and Litespeed in the garage, you can afford new tires. Specialized Armadillos or the Conti Gatorskins are you best bet to avoid flats (if you are really worried about it).
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 06:05 PM   #11
Red Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildwood
With new Trek Madone and Litespeed in the garage, you can afford new tires. Specialized Armadillos or the Conti Gatorskins are you best bet to avoid flats (if you are really worried about it).
Thanks wildwood - thought of that - with a new trek and Litespeed in the garage, I already stretched as far as I feel comfortable that I'm not spending too much of my Kids inheritance $'s .
As mentioned I see a lot of pennies on the road waiting for the light to change. I ALWAYS pick them up.Even found a quarter once. Few more years (and a little luck) and I'll have enough to buy a set.

BTW- did 25 miles tonight on the trek - NO FLATS - - - Perhaps a change for the better!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-05, 01:52 PM   #12
Red Baron

UPDATE 7/10/05 mileage = 524 (year total = ~1500)
Strange - no flats in about 350 miles BUT - I noticed tire is low after a couple of days. So I took tube out friday (2 days ago), can't find anything. Rode yesterday, and when I checked air pressure it was 10 lbs low. Pumped full & went for a 35 miler. This morning I checked tire and it was 40 lbs low. Pumped it up and went for a slow 20 mile recovery ride. Almost flat when I got home.
Pulled out tube and set in a bucket of water. Finally found were air was slowly leaking at the BASE of the nozzle in the Brass, not in the rubber. Its continental tubes, same as others. ?????????????????????????????????????????

Put in new Tube. 4 flats/500 miles. Oh yea - almost forgot, I'm getting rich on found road change, found $0.34 since last post.
Old 07-10-05, 02:25 PM   #13
taylor8

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron
that I'm not spending too much of my Kids inheritance $'s .
!
Go a head and spend it your kids will just have to work hard just like you do.

Being of sound mind and body I plan on spending it all and letting the kids fend for themselves, just like I did.

Joe
taylor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-05, 07:47 PM   #14
Louis

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron
Finally found were air was slowly leaking at the BASE of the nozzle in the Brass, not in the rubber.
Sounds like there may be a rough edge on the rim's valve hole. Try feeling around that area with your finger for any burrs.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-05, 09:20 AM   #15
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
Sounds like you are an experienced rider, so you probably are not doing this, but just in case:
You don't have the nut on the presta valve tight up against the rim do you? It should only be up against the rim when inflating the tire, to keep from pushing the stem into the rim. Loosen it back up after inflating the tire. If it is tight while riding, it may not "give", causing excessive wear around the stem, causing a leak.
freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 09:06 AM   #16
tom cotter

Bikes:
As already mentioned, the nut on the stem may be the culprit here. Another thing to consider is how much muscle your putting into removing the pump from the stem. Your earlier posts of tube failure near the stem open the possibility that the tube is being damaged by too much pull when removing the pump. Earlier this year new pump cost me two tubes as well as cuts on my fingers. Both tubes failed at the base of the stem. That told me it wasn't the tubes. I switched to another pump, problem solved.
tom cotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-05, 06:53 PM   #17
Red Baron

Thanks for the suggestions. I cannot feel any burr, I don't use the nut on the valve stem, and I use the same pump (& tubes) as my other bikes. Just bad luck I guess. I do notice pump removal has probably been responsible for 1 flat this bike and 1 flat other. I am careful as to how I pull it off.
Thanks for suggestions all.
Old 07-14-05, 09:31 AM   #18
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC
More ideas, it just depends on what you want

bullet proof- 700x28 690g smartguard $43 schwalbetires.com, marathon plus

touring safety- 700x30 500g kevlar MB belt $29 marathon slick

sport safety- 700x23 325g kevlar, $17 blizzard sport

racing safety- 700x23 310g $48 stelvio plus

I replaced my michelins with a marathon and marathon slick precisely because I was annoyed, ok poed at getting too many flats. These seemed better than armadillos and give a good ride.
HiYoSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-05, 09:09 PM   #19
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Have had as many as 3 flats on a century . . . bad karma?
Heed all advice above, plus WATCH where you're riding!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote