User Tag List

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my Bike "Jinxed" ? Gremlins?

I bought a Trek Madone last year, I've rode it not yet 150 miles, with total to date of 3 flats.

I'm getting to were I carry extra tubes, cell phone, when I ride it.

1 - Piece of glass in rear tire - removed same and patched tube - mile 47
    2- small puncture (thorn) front tire, mile ~85
    3- TODAY, same tube from 1 above just came apart near nozzle BIG HOLE- mile ~135

I'm getting a complex out of this experience. But I'm still Riding

BTW- old faithful - a Litespeed has about 600 miles this year - no flats.
    I have about 2500 miles on it..Only one flat to date (is this statement tempting fate?)- same failure at nozzle as mentioned above.
    It just came apart.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the brand of tubes in use on your old faithful. Are the tubes in the Trek the same? If so, just coincidence - it sometimes happens.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What brand and model tires are on the Trek?
    My Litespeed has Conti GP3000 and I average ~1500 miles between flats.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have half as many flats on my bikes as the others in my group but that can be put down to several factors. Correct pressures, plenty of good rubber on the tyres, puncture resistant rubber, quality of tube, the way I ride, The type of track I ride and a fair dose of good luck.

My punctures seem to occur two days after a ride when the bike is sitting in the garage. In other words I still get them, but I must be lucky to finish the rides before the tyre goes down.

My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps a comment to public works about street sweeping?
    Just Peddlin' Around

My Bikes
    Gunnar Road Sport, peugeot UO-10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really irritating isn't it?
    I built new wheels, check my tire pressure regularly, and have stopped pinch flats.
    Now running Conti GaterSkins.
    Much confidence now.
    "Lack of opportunity does not constitute virtue". Diana Tickle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad luck can happen. Years ago I did a 200 mile ride. Before the 20 mile mark I passed a rider at the side of the road who was fixing his 3rd flat. I remember because I gave him one of my spare tubes, he had already used his 2 spares.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responses, Tires on Trek are Continental Grand Prix 3000 w/ Continental Race 700 tubes.

Tires on 'old faithful' are Michelin Axial Pro, replaced bad tube last year with same above (still going strong), don't know what original/other is.

I travel same routes mostly or a variation of same, & Always check tire pressure before Ride and carry 100psi.
    Yep - chalk it up to plain old bad luck, just seemed odd it happened so quickly on the same bike.
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    Perhaps a comment to public works about street sweeping?
    I ride county roads, no city stuff. Gotta watch out for the glass from broken beer bottles and the occassional locust tree thorns from branches laying on the road.

Though I do travel through 1 traffic light in a small town . I am AMAZED at all the nails, screws, junk laying at this intersection. Amazing what I see there on the pavement when waiting for the light to change. ALWAYS find a penny or 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With new Trek Madone and Litespeed in the garage, you can afford new tires. Specialized Armadillos or the Conti Gatorskins are you best bet to avoid flats (if you are really worried about it).

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood
    With new Trek Madone and Litespeed in the garage, you can afford new tires. Specialized Armadillos or the Conti Gatorskins are you best bet to avoid flats (if you are really worried about it).
    Thanks wildwood - thought of that - with a new trek and Litespeed in the garage, I already stretched as far as I feel comfortable that I'm not spending too much of my Kids inheritance $'s .
    As mentioned I see a lot of pennies on the road waiting for the light to change. I ALWAYS pick them up.Even found a quarter once. Few more years (and a little luck) and I'll have enough to buy a set.

BTW- did 25 miles tonight on the trek - NO FLATS - - - Perhaps a change for the better!!!!!!!

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE 7/10/05 mileage = 524 (year total = ~1500)
    Strange - no flats in about 350 miles BUT - I noticed tire is low after a couple of days. So I took tube out friday (2 days ago), can't find anything. Rode yesterday, and when I checked air pressure it was 10 lbs low. Pumped full & went for a 35 miler. This morning I checked tire and it was 40 lbs low. Pumped it up and went for a slow 20 mile recovery ride. Almost flat when I got home.
    Pulled out tube and set in a bucket of water. Finally found were air was slowly leaking at the BASE of the nozzle in the Brass, not in the rubber. Its continental tubes, same as others. ?????????????????????????????????????????

Put in new Tube. 4 flats/500 miles. Oh yea - almost forgot, I'm getting rich on found road change, found $0.34 since last post.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    that I'm not spending too much of my Kids inheritance $'s .
    !
    Go a head and spend it your kids will just have to work hard just like you do.

Being of sound mind and body I plan on spending it all and letting the kids fend for themselves, just like I did.

Joe
    Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Specialized Rockhopper 05

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron
    Finally found were air was slowly leaking at the BASE of the nozzle in the Brass, not in the rubber.
    Sounds like there may be a rough edge on the rim's valve hole. Try feeling around that area with your finger for any burrs.

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are an experienced rider, so you probably are not doing this, but just in case:
    You don't have the nut on the presta valve tight up against the rim do you? It should only be up against the rim when inflating the tire, to keep from pushing the stem into the rim. Loosen it back up after inflating the tire. If it is tight while riding, it may not "give", causing excessive wear around the stem, causing a leak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As already mentioned, the nut on the stem may be the culprit here. Another thing to consider is how much muscle your putting into removing the pump from the stem. Your earlier posts of tube failure near the stem open the possibility that the tube is being damaged by too much pull when removing the pump. Earlier this year new pump cost me two tubes as well as cuts on my fingers. Both tubes failed at the base of the stem. That told me it wasn't the tubes. I switched to another pump, problem solved.
    I'm just trying to be the person my dog thinks I am.

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I cannot feel any burr, I don't use the nut on the valve stem, and I use the same pump (& tubes) as my other bikes. Just bad luck I guess. I do notice pump removal has probably been responsible for 1 flat this bike and 1 flat other. I am careful as to how I pull it off.
    Thanks for suggestions all.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More ideas, it just depends on what you want

bullet proof- 700x28 690g smartguard $43 schwalbetires.com, marathon plus

touring safety- 700x30 500g kevlar MB belt $29 marathon slick

sport safety- 700x23 325g kevlar, $17 blizzard sport

racing safety- 700x23 310g $48 stelvio plus

I replaced my michelins with a marathon and marathon slick precisely because I was annoyed, ok poed at getting too many flats. These seemed better than armadillos and give a good ride.
    Hi 'o Silver away

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had as many as 3 flats on a century . . . bad karma?
    Heed all advice above, plus WATCH where you're riding!