Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Double whammy

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Double whammy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 04:09 AM
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Double whammy

We were supposed to finally get seasonal weather Friday, so I went out for a short ride Thursday to take advantage of the last nice warm day. I had things to get done when I got home so was planning 20-25 miles. My short ride became much longer than I planned and I still have not made it back home! Coming back into town I hit some debris, causing me to go over the handle bars. I landed hard on my left side, with my helmeted head bouncing a couple times on the pavement. The Bell helmet did it's job, too bad it couldn't protect the rest of me. I broke my left clavicle, and left hip. Friday morning I had a total hip replacement. Looks like I'll be off the bike for a while. Therapy starts in full Saturday, so I'll need to do that with the same amount of dedication as I do riding the bike. Hopefully my bike didn't suffer as bad as I did, I'll find out when I get home Sunday or Monday. I must say everyone who assisted me have been wonderful, from the two ladies at the scene, the ems/first responders, doctors and nurses, and the police who took my bike to the station, and those my wife interacted with picking the bike up.

Now on to recovery and getting ready for next season!
Old 11-19-16, 04:27 AM
Lucille

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 35 Posts
I'm so sorry you had an accident. Hoping you have a quick uneventful recovery.
Old 11-19-16, 04:37 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Barbara broke a hip when a dog caused her to crash her DF bike.

Now with a New Hip she rides a trike.

Old 11-19-16, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Ouch!

Sorry to hear about the crash but glad you are now on the road to recovery. Heal fast.
Old 11-19-16, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. I worry about things like that as a 78 y.o. man. I know I don't heal as well as when I was a mere 50 y.o. so I try to be hyper vigilant about what is in front of me. You may not have reached the stage of doing a "debriefing", but when you can get around to it I'd be interested in your take on the whole episode.
Old 11-19-16, 11:55 AM
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Bummer. I wish you a speedy recovery. It sounds like you are motivated and that's a bit factor in the eventual outcome. Don't push it at first, but as you get a feel for how your body is responding, set your own pace. Therapists tend to be a bit over-conservative with older folk.
Old 11-19-16, 12:01 PM

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Ouch! That sucks. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. I try to be as careful as possible when it ride and run. But, unfortunately, $#@% happens and usually in the blink of an eye.
Old 11-19-16, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
Wish you a speedy recovery it can happen. Almost a year ago on December 7th I hit a patch of ice fell on my right hip. Lucky not displaced 3 stainless steel screws out of hospital 2 days could walk unaided but not great. Got back on indoor trainer in 4 days. Managed to return to running in 11 weeks on treadmill. I am a runner first but love the bike. I did my own physical therapy everyday and the Deacon thanks the lord I am running 30-40 mile weeks.

The bike is good for the hips and if you hang in you can be as good as before. How old are you that makes a difference I am 55. Stay as active as possible as for me never ride near ice not good.
Old 11-19-16, 12:51 PM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Wishing you a quick recovery. I see we each have a 2014 Salsa Colossal. It's my favorite bike.
Old 11-19-16, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Well, that's one way to change up one's training routine. Best wishes on a full recovery.
Old 11-19-16, 06:00 PM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this and I hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

We live in the same area and I can well understand your urge to get out and ride on Thursday. The front that swept in overnight thursday/friday has finally brought the long-delayed winter to the northern plains. I was out riding this afternoon avoiding patches of ice and wishing I had worn my warmer gloves - it was 30°F or so. Quite a change from last weekend, when I was riding (quite near to you, in Afton, MN) in just a long-sleeved jersey, with no other outerwear.
Old 11-19-16, 06:51 PM

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Get better soon. On the bright side, at least the weather should be better when you're ready to ride again.
Old 11-20-16, 08:53 AM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejrff
Wishing you a quick recovery. I see we each have a 2014 Salsa Colossal. It's my favorite bike.
Yeah, the comfort of this bike makes long rides so enjoyable! I don't consider it a fast bike, or a great climber, but it sure is comfortable! I put on some new custom wheels last spring, and looks like I may have trashed the rear, front looks to just need to be trued. Once I'm able, I'll be taking it to the shop for a going over.

Last edited by dannwilliams; 11-20-16 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-20-16, 09:05 AM

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Yeah, the comfort of this bike makes long rides so enjoyable! I don't consider it a fast bike, or a great climber, but it sure is comfortable! I put on some new custom wheels last sitting, and looks like I may have trashed the rear, front looks to just need to be trued. Once I'm able, I'll be taking it to the shop for a going over.
I was astonished the first time I rode mine on a century ride. More comfortable than my Litespeed and Lynskey. What wheels did you put on your Salsa and kind of a improvements did you notice?
Old 11-20-16, 09:16 AM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was astonished the first time I rode mine on a century ride. More comfortable than my Litespeed and Lynskey. What wheels did you put on your Salsa and kind of a improvements did you notice?
Had a set custom made, the mgr at the local shop used to be a sales ambassador for Salsa and has connections at QBP. He had their master wheel builder build these: Hope Pro 4 hubs, 24 spoke, red anodized with matching red anodized disc spiders. DT Swiss r460 hoops, Clement tyres, ultegra 11-28 cassette. Just being a casual recreational rider, I can't really say I notice any performance difference, but I really like the looks it brings to the bike. I know, I'm so vain, lol! I do know I love the way this bike rides for the riding I do.
Old 11-20-16, 09:19 AM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here is a picture from earlier this year: https://flic.kr/p/JQVp1L
Old 11-20-16, 10:15 AM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Heck Dann sorry to hear of your accident. I hope the hip hardware and you become one. What did they do with your clavicle repair?

I had a similar crash last year, but no broken bones, just a concussion and a bent fork. At 67, I am acutely aware that coming off the bike will not be good for me - and though I used to think that I had good vision for scanning hazards before they make me fall, that was proven wrong. Makes me less enthusiastic when trying to talk my wife into coming out for a ride, since we both recognize her visual attention and acuity are not good.

Heal well and quickly!
Old 11-20-16, 10:24 AM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyFranky
What did they do with your clavicle repair?

Heal well and quickly!
I was just talking with my wife how I was given no instruction for the clavicle. Just a sling. All the meds and instructions are for the hip. I just need to be smart in how I use it I guess.
Old 11-20-16, 10:28 AM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
dannwilliams: wish you a prompt recovery but be patient and stay positive. Broke my hip and "fixed" with a Zickel nail but no replacement--Using a home trainer to promote blood flow and of course healing will help and therapy.
https://medapparatus.com/Ortho/Images...ZickleNail.jpg
Old 11-20-16, 10:58 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Dang man, that's terrible. I pray your recovery to be strong and swift and you wont miss a beat by next spring/summer.
Old 11-20-16, 01:55 PM

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash and having to have the hip replacement done. Hope that everything goes well during your recovery.

My wife is 69 and has bilateral hip replacements. Last June, we had just returned from a bike ride and she tripped on one of her tennis shoes on the way to the shower. The fall fractured the femur around the titanium shaft in her right leg. The break was loud enough that I heard it crack as she fell. We were due to leave, in 6 weeks, for a three week river cruise in Europe. The surgeon told her it would take about two to three months before she would be able to walk normally on that leg. She told the surgeon that she was going on that trip. The river cruise was amazing. The therapist at the rehab facility she was at couldn't believe that a 68 year old woman had the stamina to do what she did and attributed to her cycling. If my wife can do it, I think you'll do just fine.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 11-20-16, 02:16 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
The way I look at crashes is: If I have one, I am happy to get it out of the way, because I know it will be a long time till my next one. Your next ten years will probably be crash-free!
Old 11-20-16, 06:06 PM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The way I look at crashes is: If I have one, I am happy to get it out of the way, because I know it will be a long time till my next one. Your next ten years will probably be crash-free!
I don't know, I was run off the road just a couple years back, other than a sore ribcage that seemed to take forever to heal, I came out alright. I am going to knock on wood and accept your claim and move on. Here's hoping I will be crash free for the long run!
Old 11-20-16, 09:36 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Ouch! But sounds as if you are doing well. Let us know if you if you turn out to be faster with a bionic hip.....
Old 11-21-16, 07:38 AM
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Ouch! But sounds as if you are doing well. Let us know if you if you turn out to be faster with a bionic hip.....
"We can rebuild him, better, stronger faster.."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.