Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Leg Length Discrepancy with a twist

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-16, 10:27 PM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts

I knew I had a leg length discrepancy where my left leg was slightly longer. When I purchased my last bike I had a fitting done and the fitter used wedges and a stack under the right cleat to even me out in the saddle. Now here's where it gets interesting. Last June I had surgery to repair a malunion of a pelvic fracture which required a revision of a hip replacement. Recovery was slow and although back on the bike I was still having issues and attributed it to the surgery and the recovery process.
Last week I went to my internist for my annual physical. During the exam he mentioned I had a leg length discrepancy but the only thing is now the right leg is longer. The doc said that this sometimes happens with this surgery and up to half an inch is considered acceptable. So that along with the stack under the right cleat it was really throwing things out of alignment. I switched the stack to the left shoe and it has made a huge difference. I can't believe this whole turn of events but I'm putting out more power and feeling better on the bike than I have since the surgery.
Strange but true.
Old 12-26-16, 07:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have heard about those changes with hip replacements. I had a post and beam inserted in my hip a few months back but the docs told me I wouldn't get a length chage since the original bone is still there. I'm going on a bike trip to Costa Rica in a coupe of months so I will find out.
Old 12-26-16, 07:57 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
OP: Interesting outcome-it appears you are getting shorter one leg at a time. Hope that this is the last of it.

I lost better than a half inch from my right leg following a broken femur/hip three years ago and the installation of hardware. My fit got progressively worse and I went to a shim on the short leg. For the next year, I chased different pains up, down and around my left leg. I went back to even steven about 5000 miles ago. Fingers crossed, but it seems to be working.
Old 12-26-16, 11:06 AM

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by tigat
OP: Interesting outcome-it appears you are getting shorter one leg at a time. Hope that this is the last of it.

I lost better than a half inch from my right leg following a broken femur/hip three years ago and the installation of hardware. My fit got progressively worse and I went to a shim on the short leg. For the next year, I chased different pains up, down and around my left leg. I went back to even steven about 5000 miles ago. Fingers crossed, but it seems to be working.
The Doc who pointed out the discrepancy to me said he has a colleague who had both his hips replaced and actually ended up an inch and a half taller. Being vertically challenged he was not upset with that outcome.