User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding hard over 50 and recovery.

Now that we are all over 50 do you find yourself cutting back on hard days compared to when you where younger? A couple of times this year I have got a runny nose and sore throat after a long hard ride(only slightly longer than some rides that didn't bother me at all) and was wondering if this might be an age thing.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My "hard" days (where I really get worn out are actually increasing. That's because I've been a lazy bum for the past two decades. I don't know where my limits are, but I'm enjoying getting closer to them.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FarHorizon
    My "hard" days (where I really get worn out are actually increasing. That's because I've been a lazy bum for the past two decades. I don't know where my limits are, but I'm enjoying getting closer to them.
    That's interesting that you say that as when I started a little over a year ago all my rides were hard to some extent, now that I am in way better shape I can maybe push myself to the point of breaking down my immune system.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're a fitter man than I, oldspark! I don't "push" myself deliberately - on days when I feel strong, I ride harder. On days when I'm ho-hum, I take it easy. In January, when I started, all my rides were difficult, to some extent. Now, being somewhat fitter, I have more days that I feel like riding harder. As the weather has warmed, I've been slowed, a little. The 95-degree plus heat makes it harder to feel like really pushing because there's no good way to keep the sweat out of my eyes except to stop, take off my glasses, and wipe with the sleeve. I don't mind the heat, but I do feel tired sooner. Since my typical ride is about 12 or so miles, I bring a water bottle with me to consume halfway. I've noticed no immune system problems, but I suspect I don't push myself nearly as hard as you do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just turned 60, and that combined with an unavoidably idle winter (weather, job and family things kept me off the bike almost completely for three months) have really taken a toll. It's a LOT harder to get back to even mediocre riding condition than it used to be. About all you can do about it, though, is not let yourself get OUT of shape, so you don't have so much work to get IN.
    As for your specific symptoms, that could be almost anything. This time of year, though, it might be worth thinking about an allergy. Around here we had the wettest winter in 85 years, and the rush of new growth in spring has brought out huge amounts of pollen. People who've never been allergic to anything are sniffling and snuffling.

My Bikes
    Trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with velodog, it's probably allergies. I've had the same problems here in Georgia. This has been the worst pollen season in years.

I started riding again in my (very) late 40's, now that I'm in my 50's I find myself riding harder than I used to. Two years ago a 10 mile ride would keep me happy. Now in need 25 or 30 mile rides to get my "bike fix" and 50 miles is better.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that if I go out on my own, I am inclined to take an easy ride. I don't know how hard I can push myself so err on the safety side.Then If I go out with a group of fit riders, I push myself too hard.
    In a mixed abilities and fitness group, I seem to know how hard I can go, so the larger the group The better I get on.

I do wear a heart monitor so try to stay within my limits but that does not help too much. On the Cold and flu side, I very rarely get them now adays. what I do get though are the aching legs after the hard ride. Never used to get them but that little extra effort seems to finish them off very quickly.

One of the tricks I use on an easy ride is to sprint up all the short inclines- not the long hills, but as I am "Conserving" energy except for these sprints, it does surprise the fit ones to have the oldun staying with them or occasionally beating them up their highlights of the ride.

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything that happens to me is an age thing. All the aches and pains are age things, disturbed sleep patterns, forgetting all kinds of things. And though I never had allergies, I do have allergy type symptoms a lot these days. Just an age thing. No problem. Keep peddling.
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldspark
    Now that we are all over 50 do you find yourself cutting back on hard days compared to when you where younger? A couple of times this year I have got a runny nose and sore throat after a long hard ride(only slightly longer than some rides that didn't bother me at all) and was wondering if this might be an age thing.
    - a runny nose and sore throat aren't my problems... it's the six pack of beer and three chili dogs after the ride that seem to keep me from moving forward...

:-)

My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    One of the tricks I use on an easy ride is to sprint up all the short inclines- not the long hills, but as I am "Conserving" energy except for these sprints, it does surprise the fit ones to have the oldun staying with them or occasionally beating them up their highlights of the ride.
    - an excellent idea, btw... i 'sprint' the last 30 secs/minute of my rides before a five-minute cool down ride around the parking lot and before stretching...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find I ride tougher (faster, longer, while feeling better) after getting 2 days rest, so, when I'm actually on a decent ride schedule I'll go ride, RIDE, rest, rest, RIDE, rest, ride...or something like that.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm still getting used to this "old"body, this is the first time I've been over 50. LOL

My Bikes
    Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Up to around 55 I rode all year in all weathers incuding snow and rain. Living as I do in Scotland if you let the weather stop you then you'd never get out. Now that I'm 65 and bits are beginning to drop off I find that I tend to stay indoors or work in my workshop if the weather is bad. In the summer I head for France and far south to be sure of sunshine. It seems all my joints work better for the heat and I function better.
    This summer a 3000 mile tour from Belguim to La Rochelle then across following the Loire and back home again. Should take two months and I can't wait.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO 105
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get this book. It will answer all your questions.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale Supersix EVO carbon 105

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 63 and am no longer out to break any speed records. My goals are to finish the centuries before they close the starting points. I commute daily and push myself some of the time. I used a heart monitor for a short time but when set for my age the alarm went off so often I parked it. Weather and wind affect the long rides but I still find myself getting better each year. The best recovery after a century is a hair off the dog that bit you and commute to work the next few days. Your runny nose and sore throat sound more like hydration and nutrition problems unless you were already sick or allergens got to you.
    Phil

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - a runny nose and sore throat aren't my problems... it's the six pack of beer and three chili dogs after the ride that seem to keep me from moving forward...

:-)
    I'll agree about the beer being a problem, but those chili dogs are necessary to put the carbs back into the body that you have lost on the ride, and providing the dogs are good enough quality, the protein in them will help to build up muscle. My problem is the choice between a Kebab and a curry after exercise, or should I have both?

Honestly- When you exercise, you use body resources. If you do not put them back, you can be in trouble with having enough energy to do a ride. In fact if you are going for a ride tomorrow, eat a good carbo loaded meal tonight and on the ride, Keep topping up with food.

My Bikes
    mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 67 and ride most days - I rode 38 miles this morning in a little less than 3 hours on my 14 year old mountain bike. Keep wondering if a new road bike would help me keep up with the kids - but nah, social security won't cover it.

Sun is my worst enemy - it drains me (and burns me)

I found that a small bottle of excedrin / tylenol / whatever you like really helps with the aches and pains. I usually take one before I need it - my doc recommended that. I also have several marathon friends who recommended pill form electrolytes. I picked up "Essential Electrolytes" at the health food store for 1/3 of the asking price at "The Running Room". These are supposed to give the same type of boost that gator ade and it's competitors give.

I found that popping some of the electrolyte pills and an excedrin about half way through really helps with the aches and pains and stiffness.

Tom
    Honolulu HI

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH
    Get this book. It will answer all your questions.
    I've got that book and he mentions haveing a sore throat and runny nose after a really hard ride, that is why I wondered if any one else had this happen to them. The cold is still hanging on somewhat so have been riding easy but felt very strong on the MB tonight.