Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Riding with young children/grandchildren - Advice?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 01-22-17, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Long story made shorter:

Wife and I (who had finally achieved an empty nest in our late 50s) adopted a 6 year old two years ago. He loves to ride, which has allowed us to pick up riding again after a 26 year hiatus. We picked hybrids (Trek 8.3 DS) for us. He is now on a box store mountain bike that's working for him. We ride the greenways in San Antonio and go off trail a little. Our long rides on Saturdays are 20+ miles in length. We are teaching him about gears and cadence (using an old cyclometer) and he is doing well.

So...any advice? Even though we used to ride a lot, we both feel new to riding again. Also, I was a 160 lb triathlete before, now I'm a 225 lb clydesdale, so I've already learned that while I can pop up curbs and over small logs, a jump is NOT a good idea. Maybe later.
Old 01-23-17, 07:55 AM

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
My Advice: When riding with young children, make sure they are yours. Just kidding. But seriously, I'd make sure it is a fun experience to ensure your kid will look forward to riding (and physical exercise in general) for the rest of his life. Too long a ride, or too "instructional" may bring on anxiety about riding. But I suspect this kid hit the jackpot when you adopted him. Older parents are usually more patient, and less selfish than younger parents, especially "accidental" parents.

So just ride at a pace he can keep up with, and in six or seven years he will hopefully return the favor.
Old 01-23-17, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
So just ride at a pace he can keep up with, and in six or seven years he will hopefully return the favor.
Some good advice but this line takes the cake :-)

IIRC, pops Stetina first lost to Dale when he was 8 so might only be a couple of years.

Let him take the lead on how much and how far. OTOH, don't bail him out if he gets overly ambitious. Let him know that there are numerous avenues for riding including road, track, mountain, trials, touring, and riding an upright 2 miles to lunch. On that last one, kids really love riding to someplace—lunch, dinner, grocery store, school, etc. We've heard numerous times that when our nieces visit us at the beach their highlight isn't the beach but riding bicycles to dinner.

If you work on a bike, especially his, let him help.

BTW, condolences and congratulations. Lucky kid to have you in his life.
Old 01-23-17, 11:15 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarj
adopted a 6 year old two years ago.
This is an incredibly generous act. I hope God rewards you.

-Tim-
Old 01-23-17, 11:44 AM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
I know several people who have small kids they ride with. The first rule is single file and the kid is always in the middle. At that age they often switch between having the kid ride solo or using a tagalong for longer rides than a 6-year-old could do. You can often find them on Craig's List for $100 or less. Here's a nice one from Austin:
https://austin.craigslist.org/bik/5938046525.html

San Antonio is a great town for biking! I've been there for conventions several times. The last time I drove down a couple days early from Minnesota and brought bikes for me and a co-worker. It was a blast!
Old 01-23-17, 05:19 PM

Bikes: Five active bikes: 1983 Diamondback RidgeRunner (early production mountain bike), 1951 Raleigh Sports 3spd, 2012 Novara Safari, 2013 Schwinn 411 IGH, 2016 Jamis Roughneck Fatbike; plus a Trek T900 tandem shared with the family

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the kid ride in the middle between two adults is ideal. I also used a tag-a-long along with his own bike at that age.

My memory of my kid at 6 was that gear changing was unfathomable, and things like cadence and so forth was more than he wanted to handle--but then kids are individuals. I did try to stress riding in a straight line and situational awareness and enjoyment.
Old 01-23-17, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
If you can get a 6 year old to ride 20 miles, we should be asking you for advice.
Well done.
Old 01-23-17, 06:33 PM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
How about a home-made obstacle course to teach bike handling skills.

turning tight circles

riding real slow

riding while looking over his shoulder

emergency braking

that kind of stuff
Old 01-23-17, 07:52 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you ride very early or late in the date, get some high visibility stuff -- helmet, at least. I see lots of families riding with their kidlets along the local MUP, and suburban and rural routes I ride. Often it's after work, so this time of year it's getting darkish quickly. Most of the kidlets are wearing hi-vis yellow, orange or green helmets. Really helps make them pop at dusk, including on the bike/hike trails.

On streets/roads shared by vehicles, I'd suggest adding some blinkies, especially on the backs of the helmets -- including yours. It's the highest point, and can help drivers see you above the rooflines of parked cars.

And on the bike trails remind the li'l rascals to stay to the right and check behind them before moving toward the center or left of the lane. They should practice this in a safe place without competing bike or foot traffic. It's not easy for anyone to master looking over the shoulder without weaving on a bike.
Old 01-23-17, 09:07 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankHudson
My memory of my kid at 6 was that gear changing was unfathomable, and things like cadence and so forth was more than he wanted to handle--but then kids are individuals.
Sometimes when I see someone struggling up a hill with a tagalong I'll ride up next to them and say "He's not helping!" -- the response is always, "I KNOW!"
Old 01-24-17, 11:12 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
I am looking forward to riding with my grandson, but he is only 22 months old.

I am very impressed with the story of adopting a 6-year-old. Bravo!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Henry_tricycle.jpg (99.0 KB, 79 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-25-17, 08:55 AM

Bikes: burley rivazzi, gt quadrofoil ventana

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Consider a tandem. I have five grandchildren and have great success with this approach. You never have to worry where they are at or keeping up. Also, they feel more like and active participant unlike a trail-a-bike
Old 01-25-17, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Great photo. He looks like he's ready for a balance bike.
Old 01-25-17, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I never had a son, only one daughter, so when my grandson was born I had visions of making him a BMX racer like his old Paw Paw was. Not. When he turned four I got him a bike. Two years later, it still has the training wheels on it and is sitting in his backyard rusted. He does absolutely nothing but play video games and watch you tube. I don't think he even plays with his toys anymore.
Old 01-26-17, 07:39 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
I never had a son, only one daughter, so when my grandson was born I had visions of making him a BMX racer like his old Paw Paw was. Not. When he turned four I got him a bike. Two years later, it still has the training wheels on it and is sitting in his backyard rusted. He does absolutely nothing but play video games and watch you tube. I don't think he even plays with his toys anymore.
That is a sad statement about today's society. I was a total nerd, devoid of athletic talent, but getting hooked on bicycling saved my life and health and literally opened up an entire world to me. Henry, my grandson, has seen me ride a bike to his house and participate in their neighborhood 4th of July parade, and his dad has my old Peugeot PKN-10 and the Cannondale Rush I bought him as a college graduation present, so I am hoping the bike bug rubs off as he gets a little older.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 01-26-17, 08:14 AM

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
The younger grandson could ride without training wheels before he was three. But he couldn't control the bike when he got off. So the training wheels remained on for 6 months and he still had some off bike problems.

When he was 5 we started going for point-to-point rides in the park. About 6 miles was his limit. Although he could ride fast, he had little interest in doing so. Same with his speedskating, he only goes fast when he has competition.

So I used my old bike. I liked to wander around and often stop, which meant that I had to get of the bike quickly. I took off the shoe clip pedals and installed strapless toe clip pedals, but that didn't work. I had to use big clunky pedals. Also had to lower the seat a lot.
Old 01-26-17, 07:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
My Advice: ... make sure it is a fun experience to ensure your kid will look forward to riding (and physical exercise in general) for the rest of his life...
Thanks, that's what we are trying to do!
Old 01-26-17, 07:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrankyOne
Some good advice but this line takes the cake :-)

...Let him take the lead on how much and how far. OTOH, don't bail him out if he gets overly ambitious. Let him know that there are numerous avenues for riding including road, track, mountain, trials, touring, and riding an upright 2 miles to lunch. On that last one, kids really love riding to someplace—lunch, dinner, grocery store, school, etc....

If you work on a bike, especially his, let him help.

BTW, condolences and congratulations. Lucky kid to have you in his life.
Thank you! Great ideas on the destination approach. We are doing both paved and unpaved trail riding. And we're on the same page on bailing him out. Lastly, you "get it" on the condolences and congratulations!
Old 01-26-17, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is an incredibly generous act. I hope God rewards you.

-Tim-
Thank you. God has rewarded us. He is a blessing in our lives.
Old 01-26-17, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reverborama
...The first rule is single file and the kid is always in the middle...

San Antonio is a great town for biking!
Thanks. We just figured the kid in the middle thing out on the last ride. And I agree San Antonio is on its way to becoming a great bicycling town. Light years better than when we moved here in 1990.
Old 01-26-17, 07:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
If you can get a 6 year old to ride 20 miles, we should be asking you for advice.
Well done.
Actually, he's now 8. He came to us at age 4, we adopted at age 6. And I'm impressed he can do a 20 mile ride and want more the next day! Not sure how this happened.
Old 01-26-17, 07:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
How about a home-made obstacle course to teach bike handling skills.

turning tight circles

riding real slow

riding while looking over his shoulder

emergency braking

that kind of stuff
Good skills to have. That's actually what they do at his school for the "Bike Rodeo" - which he has brought home a trophy for every year (1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade).
Old 01-26-17, 07:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
If you ride very early or late in the date, get some high visibility stuff -- helmet, at least....

On streets/roads shared by vehicles, I'd suggest adding some blinkies, especially on the backs of the helmets -- including yours....
And on the bike trails remind the li'l rascals to stay to the right and check behind them before moving toward the center or left of the lane. They should practice this in a safe place without competing bike or foot traffic. It's not easy for anyone to master looking over the shoulder without weaving on a bike.
Thank you. While he's got the high visibility gear and blinkie lights, I didn't think about that for my helmet. It might help him find me should I get too far ahead. We do practice staying to the right and calling out "on your left" when passing hikers or slower riders (very rare now, but that could change).

Originally Posted by John E

I am very impressed with the story of adopting a 6-year-old. Bravo!
Good luck on riding with your grandson. Great pic! I think everyone who has made positive comments about the adoption would have done the exact same thing in our place. It was simply the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by mikeybikey2
Consider a tandem. I have five grandchildren and have great success with this approach. You never have to worry where they are at or keeping up. Also, they feel more like and active participant unlike a trail-a-bike
Thank you. Might have tried that earlier, but at this point he really likes having his own bike.

Originally Posted by Lazyass
Since we don't allow video games and really limit TV, he is forced to play outside. He has grown to love it. He loves the outdoors, camping, hiking, biking, etc. Now when his school friends come over, he is always dragging them outside to play.
Old 01-27-17, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thinking of an eight-year-old out for a bike ride takes me back five decades to when I was eight.
I sure do wish I would have had an adult to show me how to ride properly and to go with me on my cycling adventures. Maybe I wouldn't have eaten an entire large package of Oreos if there had been an adult with me on that first 100 km ride. Your son is one fortunate person.
Old 01-27-17, 09:12 AM
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm pretty lucky as most of our grandchildren love to ride, mostly mtn bikes. But they still ride. They range in age from 2-12 years. I'll take them on the bike trail with my wife or just with our eldest grandson and do 7.5 miles. Best advice i can give is if they are at the front, lag behind a little as sometimes they'll hit the brakes for no reason at all. it's a wonderful joyous time when they do ride and its always fun!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.