Thread: Gel snacks

My Bikes
    Trek 2100, Trek 960, Trek 2300, Novara Randonee, Specialized Langster
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gel snacks

They look disgusting and unappetizing, but they might be good. Has anyone tried any of them? What do you think?
    Trek 2300
    Trek 2100

My Bikes
    Felt FC, S-Works Roubaix, Epic Comp, Cyfac Proxidium
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think the same. My gel of choice that I use almost daily is Carb Boom. The apple cinnamon flavor is pretty similar to the filling of a Hostess apple pie. I also use their Vanilla Orange flavor it's spiked with caffeine. I have tasted some hideous gels on organized rides, where they are supplied. The Gu chocolate flavor is pretty good too. I think that gels are a must on long rides, especially self-supported rides where you can only stuff your pockets with limited items.

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started using Hammer Gel last year, to supplement the Perpetuem energy mix I used on some longer, tougher rides. Between the two, I surprised myself a few times by not bonking during some pretty tough performances. If you use gel, remember it takes 20 minutes to hit the bloodstream; so you have to know ahead of time when that monster hill is going to rear its ugly head.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Gu Gels--both Banana Blitz and Tri Berry. I find they provide both a mental boost and also get some additional physical spark. They are not substitute for other nutrition but are an excellent additive for me.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the longer rides I do, I carry one as it is a quick boost for a short while. They are not a substitute for good eating on the rides, but when you just have to put in that bit more effort, or the Carbo loading has run out, It Will give you a bit of time for that last hill, or untill the Sandwiches start working.
    I last used one on a 100miler, 4 miles from the end, when I knew that the last hill was going to take a little more effort than I wanted to put in. It worked.

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so discriminate...I use whatever gel is at hand. They digest more rapidly (don't sit lumpishly in your stomach), are easy to consume while riding, and provide, for me, more of an energy edge than a sudden, lasting renewal. Works best for me if I take them with a fair amount of water. Only real drawback is sticky fingers...and that cake frosting/syrupy sweetness.

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackb
    They look disgusting and unappetizing, but they might be good. Has anyone tried any of them? What do you think?
    I use Powergel with a reasonable fruit flavor. It seems to work fine for a quick energy boost at the end of a hard ride. I also have used it between races. In the Senior Games circuit here in Florida, they run the 5K & 10K time trials one after the other. I find that after finishing the 5K, it helps me re-energize for the 10K by consuming a gel pack with water.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

fredelicious mini-masher overthere's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Specialized Hybrid Specialized Dolce Elite, Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes I ride hard enough to feel nauseous, but I still have miles to go...I love gels then. I like Carb Boom vanilla orange. Tastes like frosting, and definitely got me through my first metric century.

Between Crystal River and Hernando, Florida.
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always take two Power Gels on my weekend rides and I always have a few in my panniers on my commuter, just in case. They taste great.
    My bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO carbon

If you worried about falling off the bike, you’d never get on. -- Lance Armstrong