Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Two months into T injections

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

So I began the Testosterone injections a couple months ago or so. Shared my concerns on 50+ before I started, but took the plunge. T has went from 200 to 500+. (have had 2-3 injections since last blood test). Energy level, which was the main reason I went with it, is actually lower. Winter may have more to do with that one. We will see. Before last injection (2 week intervals), they took my BP. At 140/75,it was the highest I have ever had. Was advised to give blood regularly, but did not until a couple days ago. Hemoglobin was over 18. Normally a bit over 15. Decided to give double reds, as they were almost begging and thought it would help me out. Of course now I can't donate till June, so what to do if/when the RBC count builds again? And mood swings are probably the worst side effect. Wondering if the Estrogen reducer part of the injection that the Dr. said was in there, is actually in there. Moods range from singing Barbara Streisand tunes, to wanting to injure someone. All things I will discuss with Doc during the next visit. On a side note, although I feel tired a lot of the time, when I get out on the bike, I get over that and actually feel surprisingly strong. My fitness level is probably at it's worst since leg surgery a couple years ago, but went riding with a friend last week and did 45 miles with relative ease. Just thought I would share this, in case others are in the same boat, contemplating such or have some insight . I will update as I go along.
Old 02-18-17, 06:48 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-18-17, 06:56 AM

Bikes: Trek 8.3 DS (21)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
.... Just thought I would share this, in case others are in the same boat, contemplating such or have some insight . I will update as I go along.
Thank you for posting this. I have wondered about this sort of therapy and appreciate the insights you are sharing.
Old 02-18-17, 08:11 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm interested in knowing the improvement of strength and endurance over the course of a season. Do you time or track your rides with Strava or similar? As for the mood swings, would more vigorous rides or workouts curtail some of the volatility?
Old 02-18-17, 12:58 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Was advised to give blood regularly, but did not until a couple days ago. Hemoglobin was over 18. Normally a bit over 15. Decided to give double reds, as they were almost begging and thought it would help me out. Of course now I can't donate till June, so what to do if/when the RBC count builds again?
Wow. "18" is pretty high, and there are risks associated with overly high hemoglobin. Talk to your doctor. You may decide to forgo your next injection, and/or be a candidate for "therapeutic phlebotomy." In any case, it's something you should discuss with your doctor.
Old 02-18-17, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Oh no, you're on Lance's schedule of T and EPO! (ducking...)

The energy issue is probably seasonal. I was on the gel for a while when my T was at 150, but now it's at 300 and the doc says that's low-end of normal for my age.
Old 02-18-17, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I'm interested in knowing the improvement of strength and endurance over the course of a season. Do you time or track your rides with Strava or similar? As for the mood swings, would more vigorous rides or workouts curtail some of the volatility?
I use mapmyride and a garmin, so I will have history to compare. I'm not a racer, but do some endurance stuff (200-400k rides), so that data will be useful. I will share all of that as we go on here. And I think you are probably right on stepping up the workouts. I physically need to do that. And probably mentally also.
Old 02-18-17, 05:21 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I don't know from hemoglobin levels, but my hematocrit was steady at 45 back when I donated plasma every month. High hematocrit is a nice performance booster right there.
Old 02-18-17, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
I finally got my T shot yesterday 2 weeks late so 4 weeks since last one. Rbc, Hbc and Hct are all below low range so don't have those concerns and can't give blood anyway due to prostate cancer. I chuckle a little when guys talk about having low T being 200 and think about good old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the following scene since before injections my T < 12. At least Lance had one helping out . Only thing producing for me was adrenals.

Even with injections I had a 145 level a few months back. Still managed 102 miles today after last Saturday's 307 during the 24 hours of Bike Sebring. Recovery is da-pits without the shots and even having them has not brought back the strength, stamina or endurance of pre-orchiectomy levels.

Good luck with your hopeful improvement and keep up with the blood testing schedule.
Old 02-18-17, 08:03 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
Going on 5 years

my long term health condition was finally diagnosed when my T was tested with a reading of 10, not sure that is any different than a reading of 0. I have been on gels, Axiron and now Androgel since mid 2011. My endocrinologist wants my T level at about 400, age 70. It took me two years to get to the point where I think I am normal again. We tried a higher dose, T = 500 was dangerous, and a lower dose = no energy and naps every day.
Old 02-18-17, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Wow. "18" is pretty high, and there are risks associated with overly high hemoglobin. Talk to your doctor. You may decide to forgo your next injection, and/or be a candidate for "therapeutic phlebotomy." In any case, it's something you should discuss with your doctor.
Thanks and I'm looking into it. The next Dr. visit will be more than the normal "fly-by".
Old 02-18-17, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
I don't know from hemoglobin levels, but my hematocrit was steady at 45 back when I donated plasma every month. High hematocrit is a nice performance booster right there.
And I'm wondering if it would help in high altitude (10,000 ft ASL and higher) situations? I'm planning to do the triple by-pass again this year and hopefully one or two others in the high country.
Old 02-18-17, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I chuckle a little when guys talk about having low T being 200 and think about good old Bugs Bunny cartoon with the following scene since before injections my T < 12. At least Lance had one helping out . Only thing producing for me was adrenals.
Thanks for your input and I'm amazed you are doing what you do. I struggled with beginning my injections, partially due to NOT having close to zero T. After more than a year after the initial blood test and nrg steadily decreasing, I decided to just do it and find out. I'm doing the finding out now.
Old 02-18-17, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bob S
my long term health condition was finally diagnosed when my T was tested with a reading of 10, not sure that is any different than a reading of 0. I have been on gels, Axiron and now Androgel since mid 2011. My endocrinologist wants my T level at about 400, age 70. It took me two years to get to the point where I think I am normal again. We tried a higher dose, T = 500 was dangerous, and a lower dose = no energy and naps every day.
I'm 59 and my Dr. wants me over 800. I question that. Wish there was a home T test. And to begin self injecting, to hopefully take the wild swings out of the equation and get the T level dialed up/down to a sustainable level with a minimum of side effects.
Old 02-18-17, 09:33 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
I'm 59 and my Dr. wants me over 800. I question that. Wish there was a home T test. And to begin self injecting, to hopefully take the wild swings out of the equation and get the T level dialed up/down to a sustainable level with a minimum of side effects.
Self injection is possible if you feel comfortable doing so. 800 should have you high jumping for World Records
Old 02-18-17, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Self injection is possible if you feel comfortable doing so. 800 should have you high jumping for World Records

I would think 500 would be good, especially if I'm experiencing a bunch of side effects going above that. No excuse for me not to do self injections. I raised livestock for 25 years and probably gave 20,000 shots/year +/-. Seems like ironic payback.
Old 02-18-17, 10:30 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
And I'm wondering if it would help in high altitude (10,000 ft ASL and higher) situations? I'm planning to do the triple by-pass again this year and hopefully one or two others in the high country.
It might. High hematocrit is why pros used to try to sleep high. Daily Peloton - Pro Cycling News
They'll test your hematocrit before every donation, so you can see if a series of them made a difference. Note that it takes a few weeks before increased EPO will result in mature RBCs. The negative effects of plasma donation only last a couple of days.
Old 02-18-17, 11:37 PM

Bikes: Specialized Creo Comp Carbon DeSalvo Custom Ti

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 4 Posts
T injections

When I started on T my endocrinologist discussed the options with me and did not recommend injections because they cause spikes and valleys in T levels, things may have changed as that was nearly 6 years ago. Using topical gels I have not noticed any peaks or valleys in my energy levels.
Old 02-19-17, 03:43 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I am due to see an Endocrinologist in a month's time and I will have to ask him why the USA and Australia have different ways of recording testosterone levels.

I don't know if it is as simple as dividing the figure the USA uses by 10 or not, but in Australia on our blood tests, the normal testosterone range is between 11 and 40 nmol/L, yet clearly you guys have a different measurement as you are talking about figures like 500.
Old 02-19-17, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bob S
When I started on T my endocrinologist discussed the options with me and did not recommend injections because they cause spikes and valleys in T levels, things may have changed as that was nearly 6 years ago. Using topical gels I have not noticed any peaks or valleys in my energy levels.
I assume the gel is applied daily? Or at least more often than an injection every 2 weeks, such as I do. It would make sense that more frequent applications/injections at a lower dose would make more sense here. I didn't try the creams and gels. Did not want the possibility, however low it may be, of transferring it to my grandkids and others.
Old 02-19-17, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
It might. High hematocrit is why pros used to try to sleep high. Daily Peloton - Pro Cycling News
They'll test your hematocrit before every donation, so you can see if a series of them made a difference. Note that it takes a few weeks before increased EPO will result in mature RBCs. The negative effects of plasma donation only last a couple of days.
Here is another area where I need to educate myself. What is the best and most feasible avenue of donation for my situation? Is it the double RBC donation? Plasma? Whole blood? I emailed the Red Cross with my plight. It will be interesting to see how they respond. I've received numerous phone calls over the years begging for blood when they were in short supply, and usually have responded with a donation. Wondering if it works both ways. We just got a new blood center in town, for plasma, platelet etc. collection. Popular with the college crowd as a source of income. Maybe that's a better alternative. More to learn.
Old 02-19-17, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I am due to see an Endocrinologist in a month's time and I will have to ask him why the USA and Australia have different ways of recording testosterone levels.

I don't know if it is as simple as dividing the figure the USA uses by 10 or not, but in Australia on our blood tests, the normal testosterone range is between 11 and 40 nmol/L, yet clearly you guys have a different measurement as you are talking about figures like 500.
Maybe this will help

https://www.nebido.com/tools/index.php/en/default/index/conversion-tool[/URL]

We measure in ng/dl. My old level in nmol/L was 6.9. At last test 2-3 injections ago, it was around 19.
Old 02-19-17, 06:27 AM
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Maybe this will help

https://www.nebido.com/tools/index.php/en/default/index/conversion-tool[/URL]

We measure in ng/dl. My old level in nmol/L was 6.9. At last test 2-3 injections ago, it was around 19.
Thanks for that, what a great link.

I think my last blood test showed 5.4 in nmol/L and 3.4 prior to that, so that's pretty low and translates to 156 & 98 ng/dl.
Old 02-19-17, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
This discussion is why I prefer to keep a big distance between me and drugs of any sort (and prefer as natural as possible food). I may change my mind when I hit 70 but hope not.
Old 02-19-17, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by CrankyOne
This discussion is why I prefer to keep a big distance between me and drugs of any sort (and prefer as natural as possible food). I may change my mind when I hit 70 but hope not.
Ideally, I'm with you. My wife would tell you that I'm pretty stubborn when it comes to medications. I especially hate the whole taking-meds-to-counteract-other-meds crap. In the words of an old TV commercial, "It's not nice to fool Mother Nature". But reality got in the way and I made a choice to try and improve my quality of life before worse things happened. Time will tell if I have made the right choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.