Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Keeping up

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DaveQ. I am single as well but have a gf and I don't want her riding with me. We do enough stuff together that she doesn't have to ride with me. If that makes me a bad guy well so be it. LOL
Old 03-01-17, 02:27 PM
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If the husbands and wives were not complaining then why do you care?

My wife only rides in the neighborhood, but maybe a e-bike will get her to ride with me. It would make a great birthday present.
Old 03-01-17, 02:43 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
I've seen many couples where the man had the much nicer bike, probably because he's more into bikes than she is. But it exacerbates the advantage men already have. Now, when my wife and I ride together, I sometimes ride a heavier bike than hers.

We once took an overnight trip, and I towed our luggage in a trailer, and she carried nothing. It seemed fair to both of us.

We started riding a tandem last year. We are still getting used to it. It takes a lot of learning. My hope is that it will improve her endurance, and I'm referring to the number of HOURS she can stay on a bike. Right now, that's her biggest limitation. The greatest distance we've ridden on the tandem is 12 miles round trip.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-01-17, 05:15 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I've seen many couples where the man had the much nicer bike, probably because he's more into bikes than she is. But it exacerbates the advantage men already have. Now, when my wife and I ride together, I sometimes ride a heavier bike than hers.

We once took an overnight trip, and I towed our luggage in a trailer, and she carried nothing. It seemed fair to both of us.

We started riding a tandem last year. We are still getting used to it. It takes a lot of learning. My hope is that it will improve her endurance, and I'm referring to the number of HOURS she can stay on a bike. Right now, that's her biggest limitation. The greatest distance we've ridden on the tandem is 12 miles round trip.
Tandeming had a very positive effect on my wife's strength and endurance. The first thing I did when we got our used CoMo Speedster was to add his and hers HRMs. They have to be ANT+ or one ANT+ and one Polar. I have a readout for mine, while she has a readout for both of us. Note that I do not have a readout for hers! Once you both know how your VT1 and VT2 HRs relate and have a little experience with it, stoker can match her output to yours so that ideally you both get exhausted at the same time. VTs are a very quick and easy way to approximate what is usually done by lactate threshold testing: https://www.acefitness.org/blog/1165...ng-vt1-and-vt2

We quickly found that on the tandem my wife was riding at a lower and steadier effort that she did on her single when she was trying to keep up with me, trying to improve, etc. Riding at a lower effort automatically allowed her to ride longer, and as we know, distance = strength. We gradually got into doing more hills and riding harder, etc. I think we rode for ~1 year before going out on our first 40 mile hilly group ride. In our 3rd year we started doing some loaded touring. We've now ridden double centuries and a Gran Fondo type of event. This year, our 10th on the tandem, we have a 300 mile supported bike tour coming up at the end of April.

For many years now, I've done almost all my outdoor riding on the tandem. We've been doing ~3000 miles/year. Tandeming makes me strong like nothing else. My single is a rocket ship now.
Old 03-01-17, 05:20 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thanks for that, @Carbonfiberboy. I'm not sure we are devoted enough to justify all that research and equipment. But I will give it some consideration. Maybe we can use this idea as an inspiration to do something similar but more modest.

I am 56 years old, and she will turn 66 this year. She's very thin, especially in her limbs and seems to have low potential for building muscle mass. When we take a 12 mile ride and average 10 mph, she makes a remark at the end about how her legs are burning. So this is what we're dealing with.

I don't mean to be a downer. We are interested in fitness, and to the degree possible, we would each like to build strength, and heart monitors might make sense for us.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-01-17, 05:41 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Thanks for that, @Carbonfiberboy. I'm not sure we are devoted enough to justify all that research and equipment. But I will give it some consideration. Maybe we can use this idea as an inspiration to do something similar but more modest.

I am 56 years old, and she will turn 66 this year. She's very thin, especially in her limbs and seems to have low potential for building muscle mass. When we take a 12 mile ride and average 10 mph, she makes a remark at the end about how her legs are burning. So this is what we're dealing with.

I don't mean to be a downer. We are interested in fitness, and to the degree possible, we would each like to build strength, and heart monitors might make sense for us.
I'm 71, Stoker is 67. If her legs are burning, she's going too hard, totally. Thin is good! Spin faster. I've known many thin stokers and they typically spin ~100. Bust your butt! And never put it on the stoker. Everything is your fault. "Stokers never make a mistake." Not her deficiency, yours. See how that works? Love! After a hard ride, we've been known to go out for dinner, get Mexican. For her birthday I got her a new saddle and new PI Elite bike shorts. We've been together 43 years.
Old 03-01-17, 05:42 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen many couples where the man had the much nicer bike, probably because he's more into bikes than she is. But it exacerbates the advantage men already have.

I'm lucky I guess! My wife started riding tandem with me when we were 33, early bloomers I guess!

But yeah, that burns me up. I have several friends who want their wives to ride with them and keep up. I understand that but they ride high end roadies, then place their wives on low end hybrids and MTB's, then complain they don't keep up. They give the wives low end shorts then get upset if they complain about saddle soreness. Not to mention, low end saddles.

I myself ride a $2000 bike, my wife rides a $3000 bike. I upgrade her wheels and hubs to Dura Ace as well. I give her every advantage she needs to keep up and make it more enjoyable for her.

I ride mid level shorts, she rides top of the line shorts. Luckily she prefers a mid priced saddle at about $60 vs her most expensive.

It worked, 20 years later she is still out there riding with me and the boys and keeping up, sometimes dropping them.
Old 03-01-17, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
How the heck do you guys make these things work?

Old 03-01-17, 06:32 PM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

Why does this bike need brakes?
Old 03-01-17, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

Pretty cozy seating I say. 😀
Old 03-01-17, 06:50 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
My wife really isn't interested in riding bikes. We do a lot of skiing, however. Maybe an e-bike might change her mind.

On the bright side, my daughter just suggested we do a century ride this spring.

Old 03-01-17, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
My wife has an electric assist bike and she now rides with me. We bought for just that reason, so we could ride together. Before we rode slow and she did not enjoy it because she knew she was holding me back. No matter how much I tried to convince her it did not bother me she was not happy. Now we are enjoying riding together and she loves passing me on hills. Of course she has to learn to stop harassing me for not being able to catch her on anything steeper than 4%.

If you want an ebike great, if you want a tandem great, whatever you ride at least you are out riding.
Old 03-01-17, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I slow down a bit riding with my wife. I enjoy the change of pace.
Old 03-02-17, 12:01 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Not making general recommendations, just talking to this crowd . . .
All the tandem couples I ride with started like this: they both rode. Many of them rode on the same rides, but he had to moderate his pace to hers. One couple with Strava accounts, she'd climb at 145 HR, he'd climb at 115. So the females had some incentive to relinquish control in favor of equal effort for both, which also meant keeping up with the pack. Then they found they just loved it. It's kind of sexy, really. Dancing. That said, there are 2 couples where the female just couldn't give it up, maybe control issues, maybe trust issues. Doesn't work for everyone. I don't know of a male rider who didn't want to tandem with his SO if she already rode. I know female unattached riders who own tandems, too. Shopping for captains is apparently great fun.

When I suggested a tandem, my wife said, "But I can't keep up with you!" My reply, "On the back of my bike you can!" She went, "Oh."

Tandem couples do tend to be over 50. Maybe it takes a while for life to beat sense into us.
My wife and I would be outliers in your group. We bought our first tandem when we were in our twenties (and still do most of our joy-rides on a tandem thirty years later). We have also set up our tandems so she rides captain, even though I am eight inches taller and outweigh her by sixty pounds. It's not control issues, it's adding a second set of eyes to the road and preventing motion sickness issues for her. (We do route the shifting and drag brake to the stoker's compartment, so she doesn't actually have full control.)

We don't use HR monitors. She can hear my effort in my breathing since my head is right behind hers, so if she was inclined to equalize our relative efforts she could easily do so. However, there is something fun for us about running me down a bit on a climb and having her step up to save us.

Different strokes, or in our case, stokes. It's all good.
Old 03-02-17, 07:09 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The answer is to do day hiking. Its also a time consuming activity. And communicating is allowed. Unless you insist on a faster pace.

Besides, you get to go off road whereas you would not have done so with a road bike, electric or otherwise. This leads to maybe another bike, the gravel bike.
Old 03-02-17, 08:30 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I always ride with my wife and would probably ride a lot less if she dropped out. I will be 69 this summer and am a more cautious rider after a smashed collar bone and a busted hip from bike crashes. As I age out I will gladly add a e-bike to my collection if it helps me keep riding when I might otherwise give up. And, if she encounters problems I would recommend the same for her. From what I have seen of them high end e-bikes don't replace all riding they just assist when the going gets tough.
Old 03-02-17, 09:26 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I understand that everyone will have their own unique perspective on riding with spouses ...

Originally Posted by IndianaRecRider
When my wife was alive, she didn't ride with me often (she knew I liked to get out on the road/trail/MUP on my own), but when she did join me, I knew I'd have to ride at a slower pace than I was used to, and that was fine with me. Sometimes she'd point out things I had seen a hundred times over, but have a different perspective on them, which in turn opened my eyes to seeing some things in a different light. Looking back on those times, I wish she had joined me more often / I had invited her on more rides more often. The saying "you don't know what you've got till it's gone" is certainly true.
For me this is why I like to ride with my wife, and the reason I converted one of her road bikes to e-assist. For those occaisional rides where we could travel further distances at a speed that I am comfortable with. Not neccesarily limited to the length, and more importantly the amount of climbing that she would otherwise be comfortable doing.

Originally Posted by Bmach
My wife has an electric assist bike and she now rides with me. We bought for just that reason, so we could ride together. Before we rode slow and she did not enjoy it because she knew she was holding me back. No matter how much I tried to convince her it did not bother me she was not happy. Now we are enjoying riding together and she loves passing me on hills. Of course she has to learn to stop harassing me for not being able to catch her on anything steeper than 4%.

If you want an ebike great, if you want a tandem great, whatever you ride at least you are out riding.
I chuckled with your comment about not being able to catch her riding steeper hills. One of our first rides together with my wife riding the e-assist, a guy on an S-Works flies past us riding up a hill. I suggested that she catch up with him, which she did, and following him to the top of the hill. I don't think he ever knew, or suspected it. I arrived at the top several minutes later.

We ride what, where and how ... and with whom, each for our own reasons. It's all good as long as everyone is enjoying the ride.
Old 03-02-17, 10:04 AM
aka Tom Reingold

@Carbonfiberboy, wow, thanks. It's inspirational. I learn a lot from you.

Old 03-02-17, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Noglider, , if interested in gaining strength I would suggest lifting along with cycling. Strength training has benefits for all ages. You could join a gym or get your equipment, it is not expensive.
Old 03-02-17, 01:36 PM

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pups38
How about this? The guys can leave the wives at home. Surely they don't have to be under foot even while they exercise.

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Really? Is that like women need's to stay home, barefoot and pregnant, quiet, and unobtrusive, taking care of the babies and not get in the way of the man of the house...? WOW!!! I am male and I am offended by most of these posts..
Well perhaps you need to toughen up a bit so you're not offended when a man expresses an opinion other than the one you hold.

Being married doesn't mean you can't have a life of your own you know and since 50% of marriages end in divorce it makes good sense to have a proportion of your life that's separate from your spouse.
Old 03-02-17, 04:01 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Bmach
Noglider, , if interested in gaining strength I would suggest lifting along with cycling. Strength training has benefits for all ages. You could join a gym or get your equipment, it is not expensive.
I've been lifting for about a year now. It's very rewarding. I just use a barbell in my bedroom. I'm reading more and plan to branch out a bit. My wife does it a bit, too. I do it nearly every day now.

Old 03-02-17, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Pups38
DaveQ. I am single as well but have a gf and I don't want her riding with me. We do enough stuff together that she doesn't have to ride with me. If that makes me a bad guy well so be it. LOL
Not in my book, Bro! Believe me, been there, done that in the past.
Old 03-02-17, 08:20 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Have been riding with my wife since we met 39 years ago - most of our together-riding has been on tandems since 2000. Of my 4600 miles in 2016, 1400 were on our tandem. Fun times.