Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

50+ Long Distance Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-17, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
I've never done a rando. But I ride metrics, centuries and doubles -- mostly unsupported and without breaks. (Yes, I'm the geek with the Camelbak and multiple bottles on the bike.)
Oh my, there's another person out there rolling unsupported doubles and such? Awesome. There's a handful of locals, including my wife and me, who do this. It's nice to know there are others who don't need an organized ride to justify riding a ways.

I/we usually take off long before sunrise and head off into the hills where there aren't any people (or amenities), so no one sees me until I roll back into town late in the day. I get a lot of funny looks at the four bottles on the frame and a huge back pouch on my reflective vest that's got a couple more, plus whatever clothing has been shed.

I'm actually thinking of doing some organized rides for the first time in decades, maybe next year. I'll have to see if I can squeeze one or two into what is becoming a very busy time of life for me.
Old 03-20-17, 03:41 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Another 200 km ...

https://www.bikeforums.net/long-dista...challenge.html
Old 03-21-17, 05:58 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Happy 50th and welcome to 50+!! I followed a blog of Rowan and you a few years ago on one of your self supported tours----not sure when are where though. I think Rowan might have provided some suggestions last year when I was looking at different routes for riding across the US.

I have some friends that have done a lot of the longer rides, not sure if you've ever crossed paths but I think one might even put on one here in NC. Tony Goodnight is his name. A really fine fella.

And as far as your original questions, I really enjoy 100 milers. I rode 9-100+ milers riding across the US (supported) in 41 days of riding last year with the longest being 127 miles. I've taken a break from the longer rides since then but 60-80 miles is pretty much the norm for me these days. I also found that riding around where I live in the Piedmont of NC it is hillier than most areas of the US that I crossed which turned out to be pretty good training.

All the best!
Old 03-21-17, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Felt Z-5 Cannondale Quick 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode from southern Vermont to my daughter's house a mile from Gillette Stadium in Foxboro MA 2 years ago when I was 63. 70 miles the first day, 50 the next. Great ride, not that hard after the first 30 pretty uphill miles! I have gotten to the point where riding long distances is fun and I just take my time. Being retired means I can set off on a ride and finish when I finish. This year I am going to tackle some rides that have climbs that have put me off, but I have decided if I need to stop, and maybe walk a bit of it, what the hell. Long 4-5-7 hour rides are great, especially with another person you like to ride with, but sometimes more fun alone where you can set your own pace.
Old 03-22-17, 09:23 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Rode the Solvang Double Century on Sat. Mar. 18th, riding with the Very Famous Isabelle Drake on what was her 50th California Double. Will post a full report (with far too much detail!) later.

https://www.caltriplecrown.org/DoublesbyName/RiderHistoryReport.asp?RiderID=6062&ClubID=

Cool and foggy in the morning, warm and sunny in the afternoon, a fun ride through some absolutely beautiful scenery, Solvang to San Luis Obispo and back in a huge loop.

https://www.strava.com/activities/906674946

Rick / OCRR

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 03-22-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 01:11 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
I didn't start cycling until is was in my mid 50's, about 6 yo. Got a little into the randonneuring last year and completed 200, 300 and 360k. Hope to take it a step or two farther this year.
Old 03-24-17, 04:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Man, you guys are my heros! Congrats on riding all of these long distance rides.

One question I have is are most of you folks retired? For me I'm still a working stiff (40 hour work week plus commute time) and am having a hard time getting some mileage in during the week after work. I'm kind of tired when I get home and can only get in about an hour or so. Weekends are sort of tough also with all the family commitments and stuff. Hard even to get 50 miles per week.

Anyone else still working and trying to train for a metric or centry ride? Is it easy for you?
Old 03-24-17, 05:11 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,984 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Man, you guys are my heros! Congrats on riding all of these long distance rides.

One question I have is are most of you folks retired? For me I'm still a working stiff (40 hour work week plus commute time) and am having a hard time getting some mileage in during the week after work. I'm kind of tired when I get home and can only get in about an hour or so. Weekends are sort of tough also with all the family commitments and stuff. Hard even to get 50 miles per week.

Anyone else still working and trying to train for a metric or centry ride? Is it easy for you?
Oh trust me ... I'm still working.

I get 50% of my miles commuting to and from work on the bike, and the other 50% riding one of the weekend days.

If you can swing the bike commute ... it makes a huge difference. If your distance is too long, consider driving part of the way and riding the rest.

Old 03-25-17, 02:45 AM
In Real Life

Definitely not retired! I work full-time + commutes. And I attend university part-time.
https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus...niversity.html

This month, we've done two 200K and two metric centuries, plus a bunch of other rides.

We don't do a whole lot during the week, but try to get one 27 km ride in each week (that's a ride up the Cycleway and back) and then one or two shorter rides. Therefore, most of our riding is on weekends.
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post19466599

Last edited by Machka; 03-25-17 at 03:35 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 02:52 AM
Marathon Cyclist

Bikes: Road Bike / Mountain Bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Absolutely still working.

I commute a couple of times a week and get out on Saturdays. I'll be increasing my distances quite a bit in the coming months.

One thing that I always found helpful is taking a detour or two on the way to work while I'm still fresh and then heading directly home at the end of the day using the shortest route. It means earlier mornings but it means I'm not stealing family time and I don't have to push out extra distance when I'm tired.
Old 03-25-17, 06:17 AM

Bikes: 2017 giant TCR, 2019 Santa Cruz tallboy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
i've only been riding for about 8 or 9 months now, my week day rides are about 20 to 40 miles and i try and plan a 50 to 70 mile ride for most saturdays. i'm trying to get to 100 miles on saturdays. i know i'll never be the fastest rider but i do love long rides more and more. just trying to get to that goal.
Old 03-25-17, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
Last longer ride of the month today. Got 101 miles in and Tuesday will be just a "keep the legs spinning" ride then next Sunday, Cross Florida https://spacecoastfreewheelers.com/events/xfl/
Old 03-25-17, 04:19 PM

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Only 47 miles today

I'll do better tomorrow
Old 03-25-17, 06:37 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

I'm retired but just for the last year. I actually rode more when I was working than now that I'm retired. I'm playing golf 5 days a week and walking so still getting regular exercise.

It's just about prioritizing and discipline. I would ride 30-40 miles after work on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Then long rides on weekends. I've been lucky that my family has adjusted things to accommodate the riding, but I've never let it interfere with kids activities or anything my wife needed. A lot of times if my wife was visiting her parents I'd ride my bike the 50-100 miles (depending on the route) and meet her there. Often she suggested it.

Anyway, it's worked for us.
Old 03-28-17, 04:32 AM
In Real Life

Tuesday -- After work cruise up the Cycleway.

Distance: 26.9km
Elevation: 169m
Moving Time: 1:22:43
Elapsed Time: 1:23:28
Speed: Avg: 19.5km/h; Max: 31.7km/h

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March Totals
Walking Distance (km): 90.6
Walking Time (min): 1132.5
Cycling Distance (km): 1002.7
Cycling Time (min): 3231.8
Stairs Climbed Number: 108.0
Stairs Climbed Time (min): 86.4

Totals
Total Distance (km): 1093.3
Total Distance (miles): 679.3
Total Time (min): 4450.7
Total Time (hr): 74:10:45

For the first time since December 2011, Rowan and I have cycled a 1000 km month!!

Not only that, but we also hit 7500 metres of climbing. 7530 metres (24705 feet) to be exact.

And the month isn't even quite over yet.
Old 03-28-17, 07:14 PM

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I would love to enjoy long distance... but not there yet, right now i'm a couple of months into 're-cycling' and do 30km (15 uphill and 15 back down) run at the weekend, one issue for me is to do longer I'd need some flat road, and I have to drive a while to find that, as I live in a hilly city... but I'll get there... I want that 100km day....
Old 03-31-17, 10:37 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Tuesday -- After work cruise up the Cycleway.

Distance: 26.9km
Elevation: 169m
Moving Time: 1:22:43
Elapsed Time: 1:23:28
Speed: Avg: 19.5km/h; Max: 31.7km/h

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

March Totals
Walking Distance (km): 90.6
Walking Time (min): 1132.5
Cycling Distance (km): 1002.7
Cycling Time (min): 3231.8
Stairs Climbed Number: 108.0
Stairs Climbed Time (min): 86.4

Totals
Total Distance (km): 1093.3
Total Distance (miles): 679.3
Total Time (min): 4450.7
Total Time (hr): 74:10:45

For the first time since December 2011, Rowan and I have cycled a 1000 km month!!

Not only that, but we also hit 7500 metres of climbing. 7530 metres (24705 feet) to be exact.

And the month isn't even quite over yet.
What do you use to keep track of your distance and climbing? Does it fit on multiple bikes? Do you have more than one, on the different long ride bikes ?
Old 03-31-17, 10:44 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,984 Times in 568 Posts
The Southern Inyo Double is this weekend. Looks like the winds are gonna blow ... figuratively and literally.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Windy.JPG (32.2 KB, 133 views)

Old 04-01-17, 12:06 AM
In Real Life

Originally Posted by 2manybikes
What do you use to keep track of your distance and climbing? Does it fit on multiple bikes? Do you have more than one, on the different long ride bikes ?
I use a combination of Strava and Excel.

I do have computers on each bicycle but only to refer to when I'm riding. At the end of the ride, I enter the info from Strava into my Excel file.

Before Christmas, I didn't have Strava, so I just used the data from whatever computer was on my bicycle to populate my Excel file.

And I've been maintaining my Excel file for about 17 years now. Before that, I hand-wrote my records.
Old 04-01-17, 08:48 AM

Bikes: 2003 LeMond -various other junk bikes

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Happy Birthday Machka! And a Good Day Mate - to Rowan.

Your latest albums are outstanding - I'm jealous beyond words. My niece and her honey got over to New Zealand for an outing but I don't know their particulars of their travels.

It's easy to see what a paradise that part of the world provides. You obviously are living life large. Sorry to hear of the DVT - and I know you have an "annoying" foot issue as well.

I certainly had my share of great "post 50 year-old" rides, but I have to report little activity this last year. Unlike you and Rowan - my partner has lost most of her interest in riding and prefers to hike or walk for exercise. We both had major heart surgery last year - and both had some complications but we both eventually have completely recovered.

My last Century was May of 2015 - but I fairly pleased with my current year's record of making 51 miles in three hours without putting a foot down. To most of the folks I'm in contact with - that is Long Distance Riding.
Old 04-01-17, 09:09 AM
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The other day, I counted up my 2017 year to date tally:
10 Metric Centuries & 1 Imperial Century.
All were unsupported and with just 1 or 2 friends.
Tomorrow I have Metric # 11 planned with 3 friends.
My age: 54

I have ridden 14 double centuries, but only 1 was when I was over 50, the rest were in my 40's.
My many Metrics, and occasional Imperials, keep my long distance instincts satisfied pretty well these days.
Old 04-01-17, 04:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I'm doing a fast 50 miler in the morning, about 18 mph with some climbing too. I will go out with 2 cups of coffee and only water in my bottles but some leg cramp pills and e Gels on hand just in case.
Old 04-01-17, 08:52 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I found randonneuring at age 50, in 2010, completing a SR series that year with the help and advice of the rando community. It was the hardest thing I'd ever done, but left me feeling like I could do anything. Two PBPs, one 1500, and multiple SR series later, I've figured out a lot of things.

Between PBPs I gave ultras a try, reaching my goal of 400 miles in 2015.

Wish I was retired, I'm working 50 hours/week. Fortunately, you don't have to train big miles to ride big miles.

This August I'm heading to Scandinavia for SBS. So far, cycling after 50 is pretty great.
Old 04-02-17, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Happy Birthday Machka! And a Good Day Mate - to Rowan.

Your latest albums are outstanding - I'm jealous beyond words. My niece and her honey got over to New Zealand for an outing but I don't know their particulars of their travels.

It's easy to see what a paradise that part of the world provides. You obviously are living life large. Sorry to hear of the DVT - and I know you have an "annoying" foot issue as well.

I certainly had my share of great "post 50 year-old" rides, but I have to report little activity this last year. Unlike you and Rowan - my partner has lost most of her interest in riding and prefers to hike or walk for exercise. We both had major heart surgery last year - and both had some complications but we both eventually have completely recovered.

My last Century was May of 2015 - but I fairly pleased with my current year's record of making 51 miles in three hours without putting a foot down. To most of the folks I'm in contact with - that is Long Distance Riding.
Hey RC! Thanks for the kind words. I was wondering what was wrong with you and why you weren't as active as you had been in riding and posting here. The major heart surgery and complications certainly explain things.

I hope you can progress back to some of the moderate long-distance stuff. I know that there are expectations to achieve the same levels of effort and perfomance over the same routes as before and it does take patience to take it step-by-step. Not that I am telling you anything you don't know already.

And yes, it is easy to forget that we represent a miniscule part of a population that by-and-large could ride more than 10 miles at a time without collapsing in a heap.
Old 04-02-17, 04:45 AM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I use a combination of Strava and Excel.

I do have computers on each bicycle but only to refer to when I'm riding. At the end of the ride, I enter the info from Strava into my Excel file.

Before Christmas, I didn't have Strava, so I just used the data from whatever computer was on my bicycle to populate my Excel file.

And I've been maintaining my Excel file for about 17 years now. Before that, I hand-wrote my records.
You know your total mileage for decades past?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.