Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you beat the heat?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 03-13-17, 04:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so Early Spring here and temperatures are around 38C so far.

I already ride in the dark of early morning to beat this temp, which is going to continue for the next 4-5 months at a guess. But soon I start working the farm in the early AM and late PM as well and starting at 5am will cut my morning rides. Still too hot in the evening and I will be stuffed from working.

ANY suggestions for beating the heat would be hugely appreciated so I can keep riding while I work the farm as well.

TIA
Old 03-13-17, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,851 Times in 4,396 Posts
It gets over 100f here and I don't like it, but working outside helps me acclimate to it. Really, riding in 100+ heat doesn't bother me so much until the climbing starts, then I can't get enough water.

Lots of sunscreen and water, don't forget to eat on a longer ride, stay within yourself.
Old 03-13-17, 06:58 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Dry or humid climate - that makes a tremendous difference. I'm not in a climate where heat is a major issue most years - generally "too hot to ride" weather only would occur from mid-June to early September, and generally not more than a couple of days at a time. I could adapt to riding in dry heat, but add in high humidity (dewpoints over about 68 degrees F) and it's just too much. OTOH, it's "too cold to ride" and often too dangerous with ice and snow, for many people from late November - late March, and they often go inside on a trainer. Not exactly the same, but maybe that would be an option for you?
Old 03-13-17, 07:26 AM

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,603 Times in 931 Posts
Acclimation. I commute most days at work. As the weather shifts you get used to it. The hottest I've ridden in the last few years was around 116F. And yes, it was HOT! OTOH this is a dry heat.

Specific steps to help on any day are

Hydration - Generally the last hour or two at work I sip water constantly. It totals to somewhere between a pint or a quart.
If possible cool off a few minutes before leaving work. If you have a physically challenging job in the heat that may be difficult.
Take it easy. Don't push so hard until you know you can handle it. You'd be surprised how much easier a slightly slower pace can be.
Old 03-13-17, 07:31 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I find that a summer base layer such as the Craft Superlight Cool Mesh helps.
I realize that not all agree and that it doesn't work for some but it helps me in all kinds of heat and humidity.

-Tim-
Old 03-13-17, 07:32 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
OP is in a very High Humidity area.

Try to stay out of the Sun (night rides best)

Drinks something with salt and sugar in it.

You can just add a bit of salt to your water.

Old 03-13-17, 07:45 AM

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
What is this thing you call "heat"??
Old 03-13-17, 07:55 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Yah, move up here to Mittenland(tm), eh. We don't have any of that "heat" don'cha know!
Old 03-13-17, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
It's hard to think about dealing with the heat during March in the Catskill Mountains of NY, where they are calling for a major snow storm starting tonight!

Here is an open invitation for anyone having a hard time dealing with heat, visit the north country and bring some heat with you, haha

Truth is that it is easier to dress for the cold than to deal with the heat.
Old 03-13-17, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. Yeah as mentioned I am in a very high humidity area and it is the wet season starting up soon as well. I've lived here for years so I am well acclimatized but this is the first time cycling in this heat since I started back up again. I don't have aircon and am only inside for sleeping.

Once we start working the rice farm after the rains come I really don't know what I will be able to do. Too hot to sleep in the day and not enough time at night when cool to ride AND get working as soon as light. Daylight is only going to be available for rides between 11am and 3pm so that's out. Going to have to just keep riding somewhere in the night.

I'll look in to the mesh and of course keep hydrated with salts and sugars in huge amounts. Just working I go through around 7 Litres of water a day, just to keep going, lol

Soon even night riding before dawn the temps are going to be around 30+.

Last edited by Longtail1; 03-13-17 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-13-17, 10:45 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
One trick many riders use in Southern CA is the Ice Sock. Pretty simple, it's a long sock (knee length works best). Fill it with ice cubes and leave enough sock at the end to tie it off.

Wrap it around the back of your neck and the weight of the ice usually keeps it in place but yes, you do get drops of cool water dripping on you as it melts (which feels really good too!).

I was first introduced to the Ice Sock concept at the Davis Double Century many years ago (2003) when temps were well over 100 Deg.F. I saw it again last Saturday as I was working support for the Joshua Tree Double Century and many riders were using Ice Socks!

Rick / OCRR
Old 03-13-17, 11:39 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I pretty much ignore the heat. I ride at a good clip and drink enough water. I then shower when I get home. I ride it temps up to at least 100, and have all my cycling life. I am 79 this year.
Old 03-13-17, 12:22 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked 1,967 Times in 562 Posts
I think for dry heat, what you need is plenty of water and electrolytes (I like Endurolytes). But for sticky heat, you need to find other ways to cool down. Rick's suggestion with the ice sock is good. There is a company out there making a similar product, where all you need to is keep it wet and it will keep your neck cool. They're all over the Internet. Poke around a bit.

Several years ago, I found myself bonking terribly on an unusually humid day out there. I was on the edge of bonking most of the day, but one thing really perked me up. It was cold water and Alka Seltzer. I couldn't believe what a difference it made. I've taken a foil of tablets on rides since.

Old 03-13-17, 11:14 PM
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Minus 7 degrees F this AM here in balmy Minnesota. Beat the heat? Hell, I'll be happy when I can ride without full-fingered gloves
Old 03-14-17, 12:12 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Cold here today but no nor'easter, thankfully.
No too long before the annual process of gradually re-acclimating to riding in heat begins again, I hope!
Once I get acclimated, much, much prefer nasty hot and humid to cold.
Old 03-14-17, 12:23 PM

Bikes: N+1+1+1+1+1 etc

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Don't need to worry about overheating in Scotland, it's 45°F here today and in the summer it might reach 78-80°F if we're very lucky
Old 03-15-17, 05:58 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Only 91 degrees here today (March 15) no wind and low humidity.
Nice ride this morning!
Old 03-16-17, 03:01 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
What is this thing called heat you all speak about?

Can you please send any spare heat over to the UK so I can try it out.
Old 03-16-17, 03:40 AM

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2012 Giant Defy 0, 2012 Trek Domane 6.2 P1, Bianchi Infinito CV disc Di2

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
I pretty much ignore the heat. I ride at a good clip and drink enough water. I then shower when I get home. I ride it temps up to at least 100, and have all my cycling life. I am 79 this year.
Yes, what Rydabent says....it can be a real blast furnace in summer here, so I just try to ignore it, ride later in the afternoon, and drink a lot of water. However, I have the sweat gene, so I ALWAYS hose my bike off after a long ride.

Last edited by wthensler; 03-16-17 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-16-17, 04:27 AM

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It might be worth experimenting with some of the cooling vest technology available for military, industrial, athletic and medical applications. This thread had me contemplating whether I could run longer if I could maintain a lower core temperature. So I started looking at some of the passive and active cooling systems out there. The most elaborate have circulating ice water with battery pump and backpack reservoir - intriguing but impractical. Some of the gel pack or ice pack insert vests might work in a climate like the OP faces for some users and uses. Would be worth experimenting with.
Old 03-16-17, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear a doo rag under my helmet. On very hot days, I'll soak it in cold water before wearing it. During the ride, I can squeeze water from my bottle through the air vents and re-dampen the doo rag.
Old 03-16-17, 08:12 PM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
High humidity is tough and it gets tougher the older you get. I grew up in New Orleans and the weather is hot and humid there in the summer. Nothing beats a camelbak full of ice for riding in hot weather. You can be drinking ice cold weather 3-4 hours into a ride; that's great.
Old 03-16-17, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I'm fortunate to love the heat. Living in a place where it's in the mid 90s half the year, it works out well. The downside is I'm freezing when it's in the 50s.
Old 03-16-17, 11:11 PM

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Heat? hmm.... don't know what that is... at least not in March. Sometimes we don't have heat for a run of 3 years. And if we have heat... it's usually gone within a week. The few times that I've experienced heat in this area, I've ridden to the lake and jumped in. Forecast high temp for tomorrow is 45 degrees and rain.
Old 03-16-17, 11:31 PM

Bikes: Not that many, just getting started.

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Subpar clothing that is not air permeable or breathable is not recommended. Usually the cheaper it is, the oft used term less "breathable" it is, avoid that stuff. With cycling gear visibility is always good. If you are hot around the house in your gear before you ride, chances are you will be hot on the ride. Stay hydrated of course, take shade stops when necessary. I like a high Vis lightweight cycling vest and natural fabric lightweight shirt, wool or cotton. I like cotton underwear and cyclling padding liners or shorts. Go lightweight on the socks. I still wear cycling gloves, even when hot, for grip and in case to prevent some rash from a spill.

Last edited by WolfRyder; 03-17-17 at 12:21 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.