Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-29-05, 12:33 PM   #1
pedalpast60
Ridin' a Long Time.

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Repairs and Maintainence.

I just wondered how many of you actually do your own bike repairs and maintainence, overhauls, etc and how many take your bikes to the shop and how often.

I'd like to think I could do my own maintainence and repairs but I simply don't have the inclination nor the skill.
pedalpast60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 01:19 PM   #2
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do my own everything (but sometimes not well). I've learned that things that require specialized tools that I don't own (bottom bracket installations, wheel truing) are best handled by the shop. Things that I don't do well (or don't care to do, like handlebar wrapping) are best done by the shop. Things that don't fit these categories, I'm willing to go for. The technology is simple, my skills are adequate (or I can easily develop them), and if I mess something up, getting it fixed is cheap. If you have the inclination - don't hesitate to work on your own bike. It is rewarding!
FarHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 01:36 PM   #3
Nightshade
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalpast60
I just wondered how many of you actually do your own bike repairs and maintainence, overhauls, etc and how many take your bikes to the shop and how often.

I'd like to think I could do my own maintainence and repairs but I simply don't have the inclination nor the skill.

Anyone can work on a bicycle but it does take some special tools at times.That said consider what
I do......most of the time......I do the routine maintance leaving the special tool stuff to the shop.
This leaves me about a 80/20 split on how much I do.

Every now and then I get ansy and build a bike for special need doing all the work myself. Even then
I get stuck once in awhile and my LBS bails me out. That's why I give'm some of my business.....to keep'm
in business to be around to bail me out!!
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 01:38 PM   #4
rfctx

Bikes: Motobecane, Cannondale, Gary Fisher, LeMond, Merlin Cyrene
I donít true wheels .. very good Ö when they are greatly out of true Ö do not like to either.
rfctx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-05, 01:39 PM   #5
rvdv

Bikes:
I do everything from repairing, building wheelsets and building a bike from frame up. Just finished building up a Surly LHT which I am planning to tour with, I figure if I'm going to go touring I had better learn how to repair bilkes at home rather than in the middle of nowhere. If I need any special tools I'll go out and buy them, still cheaper than paying the bike mechanic. I believe that to have a perfectlly functioning bike one must learn basic tuning, such as setting up brakes, derailleuer adjustment as these will always need fine tuning do to pad wear, cable stretch etc. Any time I get stuck I just post on the Bicycle Mechanics section of this forum and problem solved.
rvdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 06:34 AM   #6
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
Try parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com--two good sites which might make it easier for you to work on your bike. Also, Zinn and the Art of Mtn.Bike Repair is a great source of info-don't know if he has one out for road bikes.
freeranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 08:04 AM   #7
michaelnel
Macaws Rock!

Bikes: 2005 Soma Doublecross
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeranger
Try parktool.com and sheldonbrown.com--two good sites which might make it easier for you to work on your bike. Also, Zinn and the Art of Mtn.Bike Repair is a great source of info-don't know if he has one out for road bikes.
He does. "Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance".

There is lots of info duplicated between the two, but he covers roadie-specific stuff very well in it, so it's worth having both if you have both types of bikes, or a bike that mixes road and mountain components.

San Francisco, California
michaelnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 10:51 AM   #8
rusht8205

Bikes: mtn bike
I use LBS

I am fairly mechanically challenged, so other than fixing flats - I rely on the local bike shop. I take mine in once a year for a complete overhaul. At that time the mechanic usually tells me if there is anything extra needed. Last year he recommended Specialized "Armadillo" Kevlar tires and a Goop filled tube. Now have almost 1600 miles on the set with no flats.

Tom
rusht8205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-05, 11:42 AM   #9
Bugtussle

Bikes: Miyata, Cannondale, Jamis, Madwagon, Peugeot and Fuji mixtie's
I just came across this site yesterday. He's got some good info for do-it-your self repair.
http://www.jimlangley.net/index.html
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 03:57 AM   #10
greywolf
aka old dog

Bikes:
I do all my reps. & maintenance myself ,but all my bikes are 10yrs+ old so if i mess up its not too expensive & the older tech. is not as precise or delicate ,if I had a $1 K set of wheels I would be reluctant to tinker with them !
greywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:17 AM   #11
PaulH

Bikes:
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use my LBS. I used to build and race cars, but today, mechanical work just feels like drudgery. I'll work on a bike only if I have to. I went to drum brakes and a partially enclosed chain with internal gears because changing pads and cleaning/lubricating chains was more than I wanted do do. As the song goes, "I've looked at life from both sides now." Years ago, I used to enjoy tinkering and fixing things, but not any more. I say: do it if you enjoy it, but don't feel guilty if you let the LBS do it instead.

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 06:01 PM   #12
Sco++

Bikes:
I am about as mechanical as a rock...My lbs guy does ALL of my wrenchin'. I'm smart enough to know what I don't know and realistic enough to admit it...
Sco++ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 07:52 PM   #13
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
With very few exceptions, such as a tightly stuck BB cup, I do all of my own maintenance, repairs, and modifications, including wheel building.
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-05, 11:39 PM   #14
Rowan

Bikes:
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
I do all of my own. It panders to my mechanical bent. It helps to know what's wrong with a bike when it does go wrong "out there". It makes you more adaptable, and its cheaper than having an LBS do it. Plus it's also a darned sight cheaper than playing with rally cars like I did a long time ago.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-05, 12:24 PM   #15
Joe Taylor

Bikes:
With me it is a time function. I get out of the house at 6:30 a.m. and don't get home until about 8:00 p.m. So, the last thing I want to do is work on anything. Everything else get shoved to the weekend and there is just too much to do execpt squirt oil and if anything major comes up drop the bike off at shop to be fixed.
Joe Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote