Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Temptation

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Temptation

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. - Oscar Wilde

Go get that bike that you have been longing for, or take that trip that you have always wanted to take; undertake the adventure of your life before time runs out.

Peace and love!
Old 04-13-17, 08:00 PM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
I approve this message.

My wife? Probably not so much. lol
Old 04-13-17, 08:32 PM

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
I have learned that I am weak..... I give in to temptation... so I have learned to avoid the possibility of temptation... I can't go into a bar and drink one beer.... but I can easily walk past a bar..... I don't buy chocolate else I'd eat it in one day.... I don't go into bike shops... I instead love cleaning and playing with what I have... and I rarely buy new.. learning that others give in to temptation much easier than me then sell their hardly used £2k toy after a year for 600.....

Nope, temptation I can not so no too.... but I can cross the road and avoid her.... she is mighty cute though..
Old 04-13-17, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Biker395
I approve this message.

My wife? Probably not so much. lol
If your wife was honest about it, she probably have a few temptations of her own.

Life is short, enjoy it.
Old 04-13-17, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by deaninkl
I have learned that I am weak..... I give in to temptation... so I have learned to avoid the possibility of temptation... I can't go into a bar and drink one beer.... but I can easily walk past a bar..... I don't buy chocolate else I'd eat it in one day.... I don't go into bike shops... I instead love cleaning and playing with what I have... and I rarely buy new.. learning that others give in to temptation much easier than me then sell their hardly used £2k toy after a year for 600.....

Nope, temptation I can not so no too.... but I can cross the road and avoid her.... she is mighty cute though..
Temptation takes many forms my friend.
Old 04-13-17, 08:48 PM

An explanation might be helpful.

This weekend I turn 61. Except for a couple of health scares I am in generally good health, my mind is still sharp (some might argue the point) and physically I can do some things better than I did 20 years ago (others not so good, regrettably).

My parents both worked very hard to build a business and they were more successful than they expected, especially considering that they got a late start at it (we are immigrants).

My Mom always spoke about traveling to France and Spain, especially Paris.

My Mom passed away a few years ago, at age seventy-five, from complications resulting from diabetes. She never got to see Spain, or France or her beloved (at least in her heart) Paris. In the days before she passed on, when she knew the end was coming, she made me promise that I would take that trip that she was never able to take.

The take away from this, and the lesson to be learned, is that sometimes it is OK to yield to temptation and treat yourself to that one thing you heart yearns for.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 04-13-17 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-13-17, 09:25 PM

Bikes: 2009 Giant TCR Aluxx SL, 2015 Bruno 700c Tour, Canyon Urban 8.0, Giant FCR 2018,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Temptation takes many forms my friend.
Indeed she is in many forms, you are telling a guy that has 7 guitars, 3 motorbikes, is overweight and lives in S E Asia.... luckily still only one bicycle.... temptation is all around me... I am lucky just to get home some days....😜
Old 04-14-17, 07:12 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Who really knows what tomorrow brings, maybe new direction......
Old 04-14-17, 07:14 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
reminds me of this: "at the end of your life, it's not the things you've done that you'll regret, it's the things you didn't do"
Old 04-14-17, 07:55 AM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Old 04-14-17, 07:56 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself. - Oscar Wilde
This is utter nonsense.

Satisfying every urge will only lead to more.

To quote that on Good Friday is disgusting.

-Tim-
Old 04-14-17, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is utter nonsense.

Satisfying every urge will only lead to more.

To quote that on Good Friday is disgusting.

-Tim-
I don't know whether your post reply is tongue in cheek or not.

If tongue in cheek--good one.

If you are serious-- piss off.
Old 04-14-17, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
reminds me of this: "at the end of your life, it's not the things you've done that you'll regret, it's the things you didn't do"
Exactly my point!
Old 04-14-17, 08:46 AM
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Most old people say they are more sorry for what they didnt do than sorry for what they did.
Old 04-14-17, 09:03 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
By temptation do we mean it in the colloquial sense as a choice which is not particularly harmful? Or in the literal sense of an urge to a wrongful action?

If the latter, I strongly agree with @TimothyH that Oscar Wilde's quote, while clever, was superficial and wrong-headed. Character is strengthened when exercised, and the sad reality is that those who succumb become weaker with every failure. If we're talking about the former however, I am reminded of Robert Herrick "To the Virgins" - gather your rosebuds while you may. Don't waste time, grab life with both hands and wring every drop out of it.

Last edited by wphamilton; 04-14-17 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-14-17, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 111 Posts
To borrow a line from Dr Who, "We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one."
Old 04-14-17, 09:45 AM
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by wphamilton
By temptation do we mean it in the colloquial sense as a choice which is not particularly harmful? Or in the literal sense of an urge to a wrongful action?

If the latter, I strongly agree with Timothy that Oscar Wilde's quote, while clever, was superficial and wrong-headed. Character is strengthened when exercised, and the sad reality is that those who succumb become weaker with every failure. If we're talking about the former however, I am reminded of Robert Herrick "To the Virgins" - gather your rosebuds while you may. Don't waste time, grab life with both hands and wring every drop out of it.
That's really it, I think. "Temptation" is a loaded word, implying a desire for something that is morally wrong or unwise by some measure. When I think of temptation, bikes are not what come to mind ... and trust me ... my wife would not approve.

But that's kinda mincing words. With regard to the stuff EB was referring to, he is absolutely right. If something is important to you (whether it be a possession, having an experience, getting a credential ... whatever), GO OR IT while you can. And the same applies to your spouse. If it's important to them, it should be important to you.

Old 04-14-17, 09:48 AM
Seat Sniffer

An explanation might be helpful.

This weekend I turn 61. Except for a couple of health scares I am in generally good health, my mind is still sharp (some might argue the point) and physically I can do some things better than I did 20 years ago (others not so good, regrettably).

My parents both worked very hard to build a business and they were more successful than they expected, especially considering that they got a late start at it (we are immigrants).

My Mom always spoke about traveling to France and Spain, especially Paris.

My Mom passed away a few years ago, at age seventy-five, from complications resulting from diabetes. She never got to see Spain, or France or her beloved (at least in her heart) Paris. In the days before she passed on, when she knew the end was coming, she made me promise that I would take that trip that she was never able to take.

The take away from this, and the lesson to be learned, is that sometimes it is OK to yield to temptation and treat yourself to that one thing you heart yearns for.
True dat.

Question ... have you taken that trip to Paris yet?

Old 04-14-17, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Biker395
True dat.

Question ... have you taken that trip to Paris yet?
Alas not yet. I had a health issue earlier this year and I want to make sure that all systems are go before I take the trip.
Old 04-14-17, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by rydabent
Most old people say they are more sorry for what they didnt do than sorry for what they did.
That's exactly how I see things (especially now).
Old 04-14-17, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by wphamilton

If the latter, I strongly agree with @TimothyH that Oscar Wilde's quote, while clever, was superficial and wrong-headed. Character is strengthened when exercised, and the sad reality is that those who succumb become weaker with every failure. If we're talking about the former however, I am reminded of Robert Herrick "To the Virgins" - gather your rosebuds while you may. Don't waste time, grab life with both hands and wring every drop out of it.
Except for some religions, "temptation" is, or should be, a content-neutral word.

Oscar Wilde knew a thing or two about temptation. He was sentenced to two years hard labor for giving in to his temptaion: "the love that no one dare speak."

Regardless of one's thoughts in the matter, to sentence a person to two years hard labor for doing something that is truly no one's business, is reprehensible and, by itself, immoral.

In the context of my post, however, temptation has a more benign meaning. Simply put, every day of our lives we deny ourselves simple (or not so simple) pleasures. These constant denials have a corrosive and detrimental effect on our spirit and soul.

Incidentally temptation and addiction should not be confused (you did not, I am just making the point).

Here is the world-wide authority on temptaion (Wikipedia):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temptation

Finally, to again quote Wilde,

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist."

Live, even if it means ocassionally giving in to temptation. Don't just exist.
Old 04-14-17, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
I don't know whether your post reply is tongue in cheek or not.

If tongue in cheek--good one.

If you are serious-- piss off.
Let's watch that kind of response, please.
Old 04-14-17, 11:27 AM
Seat Sniffer

Alas not yet. I had a health issue earlier this year and I want to make sure that all systems are go before I take the trip.
We went there some years ago with my son's marching band. I was told how rude and obnoxious the Parisians were, so I was expecting the worst.

Oh, contrare! I found them quite friendly, and had a great time. Paris is a great city.

When you go, be sure to see the Montmarte district. Awesome.

BTW: My wife is the one that insists on our foreign travels. We've been to New Zealand (), Patagonia (), Austraila (), most of Italy (, especially my grandparents hometown in the mountains of Sicily), and a good chunk of Eastern Europe. Go while you're young enough to enjoy it!

Old 04-14-17, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Let's watch that kind of response, please.
Understood, but the person to whom my response was addressed tempted my cherub-like demeanor (see what I did there) by calling my post "disgusting" and by trying to superimpose his religious believes on the discussion by referring to the fact that today is Good Friday.
Old 04-14-17, 12:15 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Every Friday is good, doesn't everyone think so?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.