Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 05-19-17, 02:40 PM   #26
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Intervals aren't needed around here this week. Even walking against the wind is like an interval during normal times. :-)
philbob57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 03:23 PM   #27
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2844 Post(s)
I'm skeptical of anyone who claims to know what's best for everyone.

The article talks about cellular health and mitochondria but does not say how that translates to life in the real world?

It touches on muscle mass and endurance but doesn't talk the things that concern older people as we age - quality of life issues such as weight loss, sleep quality, the size of our prostates or lowering cholesterol and helping us live longer.

-Tim-
TimothyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 08:20 PM   #28
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bianchi, Koga-Miyata, Trek, Barracuda
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
Why not do both?

Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a training method that blends continuous training with interval training. Fartlek runs are a very simple form of a long distance run. Fartlek training “is simply defined as periods of fast running intermixed with periods of slower running."
Fartlek - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
That's my routine work-out, and I follow a coaching mp3 to maintaining timing and structure in 45 min and hour runs. Bikes are problemactic given that traffic and road condition interrupt a structured internal training plan. In fact, I went with a trainer because I get a better, or at least more predictable, bike workout in my garbage than on the road.

So my road bikes are for fun, but too many garbage miles to consider it a high value training program. I'd probably get into Peloton or Zwift but have too many toys already.

64, ran 15 miles the other morning then went to work. Something's working.
FrenchFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 12:44 AM   #29
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel, Centurion Ironman Expert
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1153 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
...Why not do both?

Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a training method that blends continuous training with interval training. Fartlek runs are a very simple form of a long distance run. Fartlek training “is simply defined as periods of fast running intermixed with periods of slower running."
Fartlek - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fartlek
Good to know. I'm already practicing fartlek on my hilly rural route. Especially after drinking that yeast fermented homebrewed energy drink. And unpasteurized local beers, especially the strong, dark malty stuff. Plenty of fartlek in that brew.
canklecat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 06:47 AM   #30
work4bike

Bikes:
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
I started serious interval training about a decade ago and now at the age of 52 I feel more fit than I ever have and I've been riding for over 30 years, at one time my commute was a 50-mile round trip. However, you quickly plateau if all you do is spin, regardless of mileage. I'm definitely healthier now.

I can consistently sprint a >30 mph and I'm a Clydesdale that has a heavy bike with loaded panniers. Going anaerobic keeps me young.

As for monks, I don't doubt that they live a long healthy life, as they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat. But I don't live like a monk, this is what makes me happy.
work4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 07:43 AM   #31
work4bike

Bikes:
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noglider View Post
@omnivor, maybe you would do better if your intervals were less intense. Needing a week to recover sounds like an indication you did something wrong. The more I do intervals, the more I enjoy them. But I haven't started enjoying pushups yet.
This takes me back to when I first started doing intervals. It use to be when I first started that I would feel like crap for a whole week after multiple sessions of very tough intervals, so bad that I had the feeling of being "over trained" with a fog-like feeling in my head and my resting HR would be really high. I won't argue that I over-did-it, but over time I stopped having these intense feelings of being over-trained. I still get tired and have to take time off, but I can't remember when the last time I've had that really bad feeling of being over-trained.

I can use weightlifting as an analogy. When I first started I would be very, very sore after a tough session, but over time it becomes very difficult to get that same feeling of soreness. I can now do things like deep squats, both in heavy weight and high reps and not feel much soreness the next day; however, I will feel weak and need recovery, but I'm don't have that feeling of "out of commission" like I use to.

I do believe we older folks have to push ourselves, because nature is constantly pushing against us, i.e. the force of ageing. If you do easy spinning and plateau, you won't be able to stay on that plateau; the effects of ageing will knock your ass off
work4bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-17, 08:02 AM   #32
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: too many
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 2144 Post(s)
This is getting to be kind of like a nice cheerleading thread. We're not perfect, but we're trying, learning our limits on each end of the too-hard-not-too-hard spectrum.

I started lifting about two years ago, after neglecting my upper body and core pretty much my whole life. I'm still learning exercises, so my routine is haphazard and not long enough, but I think soon enough, I'll craft one that works for me and is sufficient. Maybe we should have a thread where we each share our regimes and how they work for us.

I'm 56, and I've learned to live by this joking motto: I know I'm relatively healthy if today's aches and pains are different from yesterday's.

"Don’t buy upgrades. Ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
noglider is offline   Reply With Quote