Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

OldGoat...Got on a Bike

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

OldGoat...Got on a Bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 02:49 PM

Bikes: Schwinn, and one piece of junk I won't name

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OldGoat...Got on a Bike

Got on a bike for the first time in many years yesterday. I just turned 50 and finally realized that I have abused my body for too long. I gave up my smokes 3 weeks ago and feel very good about that decision. I am not obese, but I could stand to lose a few pounds. I have a minor foot problem that keeps me from long walks, so I decided to dust of the old Schwinn and cruise around. God, do I feel it today!!!!

Regards,

OldGoat
Old 05-31-05, 03:24 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Keep it up and soon you will be a "NewGoat"!

Welcome.
Old 05-31-05, 03:55 PM
Gravel for Breakfast

Bikes: Jake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome back, sibling!

The first step has been taken, OldGoat. Now you never look back. Soon you'll be geezin' and wheezin' all over town, inspiring comments like, "Jeez, look at that old guy on the bike… wow, he's really haulin."
Old 05-31-05, 04:00 PM
Huachuca Rider

Bikes: Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I feel it every time I ride, which is nearly every day. Congrats on the smoking decision. I went cold turkey just this past Christmas after 42 years of enjoying smoking. i think it has resulted in my feeling better and being able to ride farther and faster. Regrettably, I am carrying more weight than before and am struggling harder to get rid of it.
Anyway, welcome back to the bike.
Old 05-31-05, 04:56 PM
FloridaFlats

Bikes: Scapin (2), Mondonico, Eddy Merckx, Pinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 54...I do a lot of riding these days but did not "get back into it" until I had turned 51. I'll never forget an experience, years ago, when I was in my late '30's and out riding. I saw a guy with a King of the Mountain jersey up in front and worked my way up to him. It wasn't easy. When I caught him, and we were doing low 20's (mph) or so (my guess...it's been too long to remember) I noticed that he was older...a LOT older. We rode side by side for awhile and got chatted it up a bit. Turns out he was pushing 80 and was in just stupendous shape. He told me, in marvelous tongue and cheek fashion, that his goal was "to go out by getting shot by a jealous husband".

Now, the way I see it...that's the spirit Mr. Goat!!!
Old 06-01-05, 01:02 PM

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Specialized FSR Induro Comp, Specialized cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
50... You are just a kid. Glad you quit smoking. Bicycling is a good way to keep the habit kicked. I have never seen a rider taking a smoke break on any scheduled ride I am on. I posted some suggestions on your "wanting to do this right" thread.

Bob I have no hankering to go out by getting shot but would like to bicycle to my 60th year high school reunion in 15 years. I am riding 400+ miles to the 45th year reunion this year and returning.
Phil
Old 06-01-05, 04:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got to watch them ole goats...their the sneakyess and they usually can climb farther (albeit not faster ) than the young goats. You've made the right decision.
Old 06-01-05, 04:53 PM
FloridaFlats

Bikes: Scapin (2), Mondonico, Eddy Merckx, Pinarello

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil...

That is too cool.

You'll be the best fit guy at the reunion. I get a lot of charge out of that as most guys my age, and I have a ton of friends, just plain look their age.... I'm glad I don't but I work at it too.

I need to try something like you're planning on doing....

I'm inspired.
Old 06-01-05, 05:07 PM
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OldGoat
Got on a bike for the first time in many years yesterday. I just turned 50 and finally realized that I have abused my body for too long. I gave up my smokes 3 weeks ago and feel very good about that decision. I am not obese, but I could stand to lose a few pounds. I have a minor foot problem that keeps me from long walks, so I decided to dust of the old Schwinn and cruise around. God, do I feel it today!!!!

Regards,

OldGoat
hey! are you me? what am i doing posting as you?

:-)

good for you!

i turn the big five-oh in four weeks... started seriously riding a bike about last month after quitting the coffin nails two months ago...

i've got a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg ways to go before i can get on one of the fancier road bikes, but in the interim am riding a Marin comfort bike to drop the poundage...

one thing i've found that really helped was to adjust the bike for as close to a fit as possible... (proper leg extension, seat height, weight distribution, stance, etc.)...

this seems to have reduced the soreness and (hopefully) the chance of hurting even more...

good luck, keep it up!

it *is* worth it!
Old 06-02-05, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Goat,

I started cycling years ago after breaking an ankle. I now have screw in my right ankle. Running became out of the question. Cycling fills the bill.

Not only do I get excercise and recreation from it, it really helps to keep that ankle loose. If I don't ride or swim for a length of time, the ankle starts stiffening up. Hopefully, it will help your foot, too.

I see that you're from Illinois. On a visit last year, I ran into a car door near Northwestern U.. Keep an eye out. Lots of bike lanes in Chicago. Riding along the beach on the north side of town is lots of fun. Plenty of pretty girls to oggle.

Riding a bicycle also gives you a feeling of freedom you can't get otherwise. The ability to travel long distances without the aid of a car is very liberating and satisfying.

Good luck.