Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I ain't buyin' this "lower cholesterol is better" ideology

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I ain't buyin' this "lower cholesterol is better" ideology

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 03:53 PM

Bikes: C'dale - R600 / Santana tandem / Giant MB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seems to be a lot of chatter here and elsewhere on the web and just out there in the big world from many of the medical "experts" (and oh yeah, the BIG drug manufacturers as well!) about how BAD cholesterol is for us! Now before you go getting your spandex in a bunch and causing yourself some discomfort, do as I have done in the recent months and become a "sceptic" and play "devils advocate" and read up on some of the plethora of information that's out there on the other side of the issue. I'm still learning so I do not claim to be an "expert" but much of what I have read makes a whole lot of sense.

The Benefits of High Cholesterol
https://www.westonaprice.org/moderndi...s_cholest.html

Another good site:
https://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/index.html
Old 06-03-05, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 2013 KHS Flite 747

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been reading about it as well. The scientific literature seems to indicate that high cholesterol is an indicator for mortality from atherosclerosis in young males. However, in older people, high cholesterol IS NOT an indicator for mortality! In fact, older adults with high cholesterol seem to live longer than adults with lower cholesterol. And no one is sure exactly what starts the process of plaque build-up. Yet everyone has jumped on the bandwagon that says high is bad.

It's wonderful to have such access to information as we do through the web today.
Old 06-04-05, 02:18 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You do live longer once you have had a recon done on the pipes going to the heart. Ask any bypass patient how their angiogram looked with the heart struggling to force blood through blocked artreries.

At the age of 52, never bothering about diet or smoking or any of my general health- one severe angina attack that crippled me for 3 months, then 5 months getting over the operation, and I now have to take drugs to stop the internal arteries of the heart blocking any further.

I now believe in a low cholesterol diet because I have to, but the bypass improved my cycling capabilities almost overnight, without me realising I had a problem in the first place

Last edited by stapfam; 06-04-05 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-06-05, 08:22 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Your body makes more cholesterol than you ingest. A high-fiber diet can help tremendously by preventing absorption or reabsorption of cholesterol in the intestines. Lecithin, either from food or supplements, helps, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-06-05, 10:27 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
All I know is when I started cycling regularly, my cholesterol dropped by a hundred points. This happened with no change in diet or other habits. If cycling = good, then I must conclude that cholesterol = bad.
Old 06-06-05, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Your body makes more cholesterol than you ingest. A high-fiber diet can help tremendously by preventing absorption or reabsorption of cholesterol in the intestines. Lecithin, either from food or supplements, helps, as well.
it also makes more if you don't eat natural foods with cholesterol. there are a lot of myths out there about it.
Old 06-07-05, 08:48 AM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by steveknight
it also makes more if you don't eat natural foods with cholesterol. ...
What is a "natural food with cholesterol" -- shellfish, raw meat, non-homogenized milk, etc.?

Vegetarians tend to have low serum cholesterol levels, yet they eat "natural foods WITHOUT cholesterol," which of course comes exclusively from animal sources.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-07-05, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
What is a "natural food with cholesterol" -- shellfish, raw meat, non-homogenized milk, etc.?

Vegetarians tend to have low serum cholesterol levels, yet they eat "natural foods WITHOUT cholesterol," which of course comes exclusively from animal sources.
butter coconut oil and palm oils. I knwo there are more but thats whats in my head this morning.
of course Vegetarians tend to because they don't pack in the junk food everyone else does yet.
Old 06-07-05, 02:14 PM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I started with Lipitor and still use it daily. But now I also take in flaxseed and garlic pills. The flaxseed is from a North Dakota farm and is certified organic. I use my coffee bean grinder and grind the flaxseed into powder. I take two heaping teaspoons and dump it in the blender with two oranges and a banana with ice cubes. The garlic pills are the non odor type. It has been close to a month now and I will go for my bloodwork to see what happens. I feel better with this new regimen.
Old 06-07-05, 02:31 PM

Bikes: 2012 Trek Madone 6.2

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride 100 miles aweek. Dont smoke. 6'@190lbs. I watch what i eat because of Kidney stones at 18 and i'm 52. 8 years ago when i had another kidney stone and they checked my blood. Cholesterol. 380 just like my parents. Some meds at 40mg. 310. Doubled it. 259. Started doing fishoil. 237. Thats the best we could get it down. Went on Lipitor. 159 There's bad and good.
Old 06-19-05, 07:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
All I know is when I started cycling regularly, my cholesterol dropped by a hundred points. This happened with no change in diet or other habits. If cycling = good, then I must conclude that cholesterol = bad.
I have been wondering if cycling helped lower cholesterol, thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-05, 11:09 AM
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Those links are pretty questionable articles, written by a loose cannon who claims to be a scientist. What is the "Weston A. Price Foundation?" Why is it work more reliable than all the universities and medical associations? Who is "Uffe Ravnskov?" Is he that much smarter than all the other scientists? Why was his work not scrutinized by other scientists and then published in reputable medical journals? Why do organizations like the American Heart Association, who also review the relevant literature, come to different conclusions? Do you really believe that all the physicians and scientists are involved in a conspiracy to kill millions of people so that drug companies can make more money? Come on now....

At least this article did have one humorous quote: "Old people with low cholesterol died twice as often as old people with a high cholesterol." I thought all old people died only once! I guess it might be preferable to die twice rather than only once.

Of course when you find nonsensical statements like this in an article, you knowfor sure that it was carelessly written, and edited by clowns!