Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

local clubs or groups. selection

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-17, 08:56 AM

Bikes: 1999 Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All, Having been a rider most of my life. and then taking a 10 year break. an now back at it. @53.
I have for the most part been a soloist type of rider. Perhaps/partly because of my schedule. and willingness to ride alone.

Im endeavoring to find some local riders to join up with. Im in Tampa bay West side of Tampa. near the water.
1: While I'd love to join up with the uber riders.... Im not able to go 23 for 100 "YET" :0 (prob never either at my current trajectory)
2: Also Except for a recovery ride. Im looking to get in good training.

Since Im not in any way familiar with group riding. how does one locate a suitable group? My best current guess is get out their and see?

When it comes to groups Im a complete newb!

words of encouragement?
-S
Old 07-24-17, 09:58 AM

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4377 Post(s)
Liked 3,013 Times in 1,863 Posts
Originally Posted by SamRod
All, Having been a rider most of my life. and then taking a 10 year break. an now back at it. @53.
I have for the most part been a soloist type of rider. Perhaps/partly because of my schedule. and willingness to ride alone.

Im endeavoring to find some local riders to join up with. Im in Tampa bay West side of Tampa. near the water.
1: While I'd love to join up with the uber riders.... Im not able to go 23 for 100 "YET" :0 (prob never either at my current trajectory)
2: Also Except for a recovery ride. Im looking to get in good training.

Since Im not in any way familiar with group riding. how does one locate a suitable group? My best current guess is get out their and see?

When it comes to groups Im a complete newb!

words of encouragement?
-S
Ask at the LBS's in the area. Many of them sponsor group rides
Do a search for "Tampa cycling meetup" to find the local groups affiliated with meetup.com
Do a google search for "Tampa cycling clubs" or "Tampa cycling group rides"

Once you locate a selection, do as much advance correspondence as possible to gauge the distances, speeds, demographics of the various groups, and then go out and give it a try. If the first group you try doesn't work out, try another. Repeat.
Old 07-24-17, 10:33 AM
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
searching Facebook might help, too: https://www.facebook.com/search/str/...eywords_groups

If the club is big; they might have rides with different speeds, mileage, ride leader personalities; etc.
I suggest to give them a try; you can always go on your own if you don't like the club's atmosphere.
Where I am; I tried a few clubs. They were both nice. But I l also like to go on solo rides.
Old 07-24-17, 10:53 AM

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Tampa Bay Freewheelers If this club is like my club, you will love it. I notice they have fast and slower rides. Good luck.
Old 07-24-17, 06:17 PM
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Try meetup.com, too. Rather informal, but you might find something more specialized.
Old 07-24-17, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Most clubs will rate their rides based on anticipated speed and hilliness - check out their website and you can usually find an explanation of their rating system. But initially I'd take it with a bit of skepticism and choose your first ride with them to be one where you won't have trouble keeping up. Most clubs are pretty welcoming of newcomers and will be happy to have you participate on a few of their rides without needing to become a member.

So check out the local clubs (incl. ones on meetup and similar sites) on the web, go on a few rides with each, and you should be able to tell which is a good match for you.
Old 07-25-17, 06:42 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by SamRod
Did you do a search for bicycle groups in the bay area? There are several Tampa area folks on Bike Forums.

Bike Clubs
Bike Shop Tampa | Citrus Park Cyclery | Citrus Park, Tampa, FL | Bicycle Trails & Group Rides
Events Calendar - Chainwheel Drive Bicycles - Clearwater Palm Harbor
Rides
https://www.facebook.com/TampaBayAreaGroupRides/

You might also want to post on the Southeast Regional subforum to find local folks.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-25-17, 08:31 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, how each of us prefers to ride is personal and I've never liked riding in groups at all but then I'm not a people person at all and prefer my own company and to ride alone, going wherever I choose and at my own pace. I do enjoy a solitary ride on a nice summer's night making a loop around my end of my city on the bike trail because it's so quiet and peaceful with nobody else around or even outside.