Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Solo bee attack.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Solo bee attack.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-17, 05:50 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
A bee flew into my jersey on a long fast descent a few years ago and I probably looked pretty silly flailing my arms, opening my jersey etc. trying to get it out while descending. It got its money's worth before I retired it.

Worst stings was playing golf.....walked on top of a yellow jackets nest in the woods wearing shorts while looking for a buddy's golf ball. Suckers flew up my shorts and had there way with me. I was running and coming out of my shorts at the same time.

Last weekend a rather large bug hit my glasses on a fast descent. It hit so hard it moved my glasses a bit and left a squish mark on the lens. Imagine what it might have done had I not been wearing sunglasses?!?!?
Old 08-27-17, 06:00 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
And then there was a time I spotted lots of wasps coming out of a small hole in the mortar of my brick house. The hole was near the top of the two stories so the only way to get to it was via my longest extension ladder. I bought wasp spray at the hardware store, set up the ladder and climbed up with the spray. At least I had on goggles. When I was up there I realized I was "trapped" if the spray didn't work quickly and the wasps decided they wanted me for lunch.

I called an exterminator which probably saved me a hospital bill. He gingerly went into the far corner of the attic and applied a commercial insecticide into their nest. A week later I removed the nest which contained hundreds of dead wasps......it was as large as a basketball!! Lucky for me I didn't attempt the John Wayne approach!!
Old 09-27-17, 08:41 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I've had them inside my helmet twice, once in my mouth, and was able to spit it out, and once got caught in my helmet strap, going downhill at 30+ mph. That one did sting me on the side of my head. Once during a race one got me in the ear, and it felt like it swelled double size. By the end of the race (50 miles) it was back to normal.
Old 09-28-17, 09:17 PM
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
After not getting stung for years I got it 5 times last year (3 while riding). The first was in the spring - something came in a helmet vent and got me on the top of the head. The second was on a group ride. A wasp got in my shirt and tagged me twice. Unpleasant.