Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Epic Ride!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Yet Another Epic Ride!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-17, 10:12 AM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Yet Another Epic Ride!

I had the pleasure of riding with a fine group of a dozen riders from another bike club today. I was invited to experience an annual event they do called "The Mother Ride." It starts at the base of a 12 mile climb up Hwy 181 north of Morganton, NC. It then takes the Blue Ridge Parkway over to Mt Mitchell. Then you retrace the route back to the start.

It was 122 miles with around 15,000' of climbing. That's by far the most climbing I've done in one day. We had about 10,000' of climbing in the first 61 miles over to Mitchell. I've ridden lots of 100 milers that didn't have 10,000' of climbing. We only took 3 stops. Thank goodness for Coca Cola.....

No really steep hills but a lot of 6-10% climbs with the longest being 12 miles.

Unfortunately a lady passenger on a motorcycle was thrown off her bike on the road up Mt Mitchell. The group of bikers she was with came flying around us as we were climbing up the road. Cars just ahead of them were going very slowly as some of our riders were just ahead of us. The motorcycle she was riding rear ended a car and she flew off. She wasn't moving as we eased by (there were lots of people stopped to help) and I sure hope she will be okay. There were tons of motorcycles whizzing by us all day.

Next up is a 200 mile one day ride with this same group down to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks. Hopefully it will be a little easier if the wind cooperates. Stay tuned!!

(Last year this time I was in Boise, Idaho cruising across the US on Route 20. What a blast!)
Old 08-20-17, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Sounds like awesome fun.

Shame about the woman on the motorcycle. Hopefully no permanent damage. I guess those things are like tandems, where the person on the back is more vulnerable in a crash.
Old 08-20-17, 04:50 PM

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
living the life man