My Bikes
    mtn bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

considering move to road bike from mtn bike

Changing bikes??

I am 67 and have always ridden a mountain bike - most current circa 89 / 90 Giant Iguana. Never had any real problems and just finished approx 800 mile tour with it. Probably just getting itchy for a new bike.

I have never had a "Road Bike" with "skinny tires" and am thinking about checking some out. My only reservation is the drop handle bars - not sure if my old framing (6'1") will survive long rides on drop bars. I currently use a butterfly bar that has about a 2" rise at the ends and have added the bar ends to give me more hand positions.

Any others who have gone to the drop bars after years on mountain bike bars? How rough was the transition???

My average speed cross country for 800 miles was about 12 mph - rear panniers, on solo tour - am wondering if a road bike would speed things up any??

Tom

Send email to dnvrfox@aol.com for new group
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    considering move to road bike from mtn bike
    You don't need to change - just ADD!

I have mtn bike and two road bikes. (I am 65 going on 66)

Get an adjustable stem to handle that particular problem.

Roadies are a very different ride. You will enjoy.
    Almost gone from the 50+ forum. - Email me at dnvrfox@aol.com for another fun new group of 50+ folks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tom, I bought my first road bike about a month ago after 15 years or MTB. I had similar concerns as you about riding position and busting wheels like crazy. The wheels are harder than they look! They obviously need a different treatment than fat tires but to be honest I never had a truer wheel than these roadies on my life.

The riding position is a no fear since you are almost never in the drops. I bought a race bike and my seat is 2Ē higher than the stem and I donít feel like laying down more than on my mtb. Anyway most stems work upside down also so you can tune your ride.

The good part is how it rolls!! Your 12 mph avg. would probably translate to 17 on a roadbike (please someone correct me here if needed). Iím not in good shape and do 15avg. I took my 16 y/o son with me on a ride (he was on my mtb) and he was able to stay with me but didnít have much fuel left to pass me

I say go for it!

Regards,

Pablo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go ahead and get the road bike. It's fun buying a whole new set of toys and upgrades. Kind of like driving both a Hummer and a Porsche...

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm only 54, but am considering adding a road bike, as there are not as many trails as the area from which I recentlly moved. I've looked at many, seems LeMonde (sp?) fits me best. I don't have the best lower back, so I want a more upright position, and for me at least, LeMonde offers that. I'm looking at Reno or Big Sky, leaning towards Reno model. I asked around about flat bar bikes, and I don't think that is the answer if you are planning on longer rides. A compact frame or "comfort" road bike (drop bars, but a little dif.geometry) seems so far to be the answer.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides LBS demo rides, don't forget it might be worth while to rent different road bikes for a day and give them a real workout before you actually buy a road bike.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    you can get a road bike that doesn't bend you way far over, and doesn't have super skinny tires. Take a look at a Trek 520, or a Bianchi Volpe, for examples. There are many others.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you mainly ride on the road, then a road bike will be better. whether you will get on with the position that a road bike puts you in is down to you. One point though, if you use granny on a triple ring setup on the mtb, then you may want a triple on the road bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get a road bike to go with your mtb. Enjoy both.
    You will go faster on the road bike for the same amount of effort.

Get one the fits right. I about your height and I had to get a big frame bike so my back would not hurt.

I just went the other way from road bike only to a road bike and a mtb.

Joe
    Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Specialized Rockhopper
    Lets ride!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought my experiences today would shed a little light on this issue. Like you, I ride a MTB with slicks a LOT. Like all day everyday. Today I got on a road bike for the first time since 1976. The bike I rode today was nearly that old! I rode fine on it, except I had a lot of trouble with the old down tube shifters, and the old fashioned brakes seemed weak, especially compare to V-pulls on a mountain bike. I also had some trouble getting on and off, I think because the frame is HUGE (original owner was 6'5"). I did NOT have a problem with the drop bars. They did not seem so much lower than flat bars, but much much narrower. My wrist did hurt pretty bad after about an hour, even though I changed hand positions often.

I have wanted a more efficient bike for a long time, but something about skinny tires turned me off. But this bike rode real steady and nice. I will be riding this bike only 4 days a month, when I'm visiting my father up north. I will know more after a longer ride tomorrow, but at this point I think my next new bike will be a road bike. Like others said, I will keep my beloved mountain bike too.

scofflaw
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get the road bike, and keep the MTB. Make sure you have the option of having the
    brakes on the hoods and the brakes on the flats.(handlebar) Maybe you would prefer
    a Moustache Handlebar? Anyway the lighter frame of the road bike will amaze you.
    You'll be able to go longer and farther.

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marge
    Get the road bike, and keep the MTB. Make sure you have the option of having the
    brakes on the hoods and the brakes on the flats.(handlebar) Maybe you would prefer
    a Moustache Handlebar? Anyway the lighter frame of the road bike will amaze you.
    You'll be able to go longer and farther.
    My new road bike, a Specialized Sequola Elite, comes standard with brakes on the flats as well as on the hoods. Since this was declasse 25 years ago when I bought my first road bike I was skeptical, but it's both unobtrusive and handy. It also puts the bar level with the seat, as others have suggested for you if you're transitioning from mtb. Or if you have an inflexible back, like me.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree with DnvrFox,Have the best of both worlds.I'm pushing the heck out of 63 and still enjoy riding both.
    One thing I did do though is change out the rear cassette,bottom bracket and rear derailler on my Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple to 11-32 and XT mtb. derailler to save what remains of my knees. Sure makes these New Mexico hills/mountains easier to climb.
    P.S. Lots of good bikes out there now, but I got to say I love my Roubaix. Test ride it if you can.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at the Kona Sutra - GREAT bike for touring with MTB durability.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget you don't have to ride all hunched over in the drops. Riding on the brake lever hoods is almost the same as on the top of the bar but you gain 1/2 to 1 mph in speed. LBS can raise the bars up a bit so it's very comfortable.

If you want a comfortable ride look at touring bikes, they have a tad longer wheelbase and you can choose either medium, 700x28 or wide tires. Road bikes are narrower at 700x23 or x25. Just get something you like. If speed is your thing, then go ride a litespeed and a recumbent. If comfort is your thing, then check out the touring bikes and the composite road bikes. While you're shopping, you should be able to go at least for a 15 min ride on each of these types. After you take those rides, you'd have a better idea of what you want/need?
    Hi 'o Silver away