Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dream

I have a dream - to ride for miles and miles, unhindered by motor vehicles, along serene country roads; to enjoy the sights endowed by nature and the smells of clean air scented with the fragrance of natural flora washed with the morning dew; to share these experiences with my loved one (preferably on a tandem).
    Is there anywhere on G'd's earth that this dream may be fulfilled?

My Bikes
    '73 Schwinn Varsity, 1964 Schwinn Racer, 1954 Schwinn Jaguar, 1950's Puch Bergmeister, 1980 Schwinn High Plains, 1973 Flandria, 1980's Diamondback Sorrento, 2001 Jamis Aurora
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wyoming...

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windtrainer in the garage plus a lot of imagination. Not being flip...but I'm a CA cyclist and share the dream and have yet to find it....there are a few stretches of road that come close, but not mile after mile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by berts
    I have a dream - to ride for miles and miles, unhindered by motor vehicles, along serene country roads; to enjoy the sights endowed by nature and the smells of clean air scented with the fragrance of natural flora washed with the morning dew; to share these experiences with my loved one (preferably on a tandem).
    Sure. I have the exact same experience, minus loved one and tandem, whenever I ride to my office in Arlington, VA after dropping off one of my cars at our mechanic's shop in Falls Church. The WO&D and Custis trails do the job quite well. The setting is more suburban than rural, but the sensation is real.

Paul

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Southern Wisconsin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finger Lakes, upstate NY. When it's not raining...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulH
    Sure. I have the exact same experience, minus loved one and tandem, whenever I ride to my office in Arlington, VA after dropping off one of my cars at our mechanic's shop in Falls Church. The WO&D and Custis trails do the job quite well. The setting is more suburban than rural, but the sensation is real.

Paul
    Pleasant enough ride for a metro area that sees code red ozone warnings all summer and the 3rd worst traffic in the country, and a bikepath along Rt 66 filled with joggers skaters and baby carriages...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure - on the Denver Trail System on a weekday morning. Right out my back door, can go for 30-100 miles and hardly see anyone, and lots of nature!

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds great, but make certain the loved one is strong enough for the tandem.

Forget the country road bit though, thats boring. Get off-road and you will see the rest of your dreams come to fruition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm spoiled because I live in the West (near Reno, Nev, just across the border from California), but we can find hundreds of miles of that kind of riding nearly everywhere outside the major cities. I did a century a couple of weeks ago near Greenville, Calif (north-central, near Quincy) that was close to perfect, and there are others nearly every weekend.
    Nevada itself is sort of sagebrushy and barren except near the Sierra Nevada (as is Wyoming, which somebody else mentioned), but if you want solitude, that's the place. Many, many times I've driven for three or four hours on paved roads in the middle of the state and seen from zero to half a dozen cars. If you're set up to go on gravel roads, you can easily spend a day without any human contact at all.
    As crowded as California is, you can find pleasant and relatively untraveled roads throughout the state (I'm fudging a little on the area south of about Santa Barbara, because I haven't lived there for several years, but it's certainly true north of Interstate 80). And if you get set up for mountain biking, you're in really great shape, at least until the Bush administration gives the rest of the forests away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just rode this morning on a road thats silky smooth heading north out of the Reservation, sun was just coming up,no cars just jackrabbits, horses, cattle, and a coyote watching me like I'm a interloper on his turf which I guess I was. A few rollers,a couple of hills to remind me of how old I am and In the company of my beautiful wife.
    But there's always a down side, the road is only paved for 10 miles then it turns to washboard dirt.Alas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in New Zealand we are blessed with some of those things , but even here you have to search them out.I believe Tasmania is simular?
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a dream - to ride for miles and miles, unhindered by motor vehicles, along serene country roads; to enjoy the sights endowed by nature and the smells of clean air scented with the fragrance of natural flora washed with the morning dew; to share these experiences with my loved one (preferably on a tandem). Is there anywhere on G'd's earth that this dream may be fulfilled?
    You mean like the 20 miles I rode on this trail this morning?

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dnvrfox - that's a real perty trail. I gather, Denver area has some nice country roads to ride. Hope to make it some day and experience for a few days what you have as a usual diet. Out here (southern israel) we have some nice roads but the weather is really hot and the drivers are crazy. Several riders get knocked off every year.

main thing is to keep well and keep on pedaling.

My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dnvrfox - that's a real perty trail. I gather, Denver area has some nice country roads to ride. Hope to make it some day and experience for a few days what you have as a usual diet. Out here (southern israel) we have some nice roads but the weather is really hot and the drivers are crazy. Several riders get knocked off every year.

main thing is to keep well and keep on pedaling.
    You need to take your bike to northern Italy, that's what you are looking for, and closer than Denver.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

My Bikes
    Gilmour lugged steel, Bianchi Volpe, Bike Friday Pocket Rocket
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rezrocket
    Just rode this morning on a road thats silky smooth heading north out of the Reservation, sun was just coming up,no cars just jackrabbits, horses, cattle, and a coyote watching me like I'm a interloper on his turf which I guess I was. A few rollers,a couple of hills to remind me of how old I am and In the company of my beautiful wife.
    But there's always a down side, the road is only paved for 10 miles then it turns to washboard dirt.Alas.
    One of my favorite all-time rides is just to the West of the Navajo reservation. I take a 50-mile loop from the Sunset crater visitor center down to Wupatki National Mounment and up to the interstate and back to the visitor center. I have done this ride maybe 5 times since my sister moved out to that area (off the grid). If you do the loop early mornings you can do eveything but the last stretch of interstate without seeing a single car. The serenity is overwhelming and the countryside awe-inspiring, with views of the painted desert stretched out before you, punctuated with rock formations and ancient ruins. Few stretched of road have ever cleared my mind like this one.

I have always done it in reverse of this suggested route: http://www.swcp.com/~nmts/rides/wupatkiSunsetCrater.htm

Plus if you take the dirt road from Wupatki onto the res., you could literally bike for days with only the intermittent passing of a truck on the reservation. beautiuful country.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shifty - northern italy is beautiful - in fact i cycled through it once in 1972 going from rome to luxembourg via the san gottardo pass in the alps - a 1,200 km ride in 10 days. I visited it again without the bike in 1998, however the roads were loaded with traffic on both ocassions. One good reason to go off road. I might eventually come around to mtb but meanwhile i'm addicted to the road.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Mr_Super_Socks]One of my favorite all-time rides is just to the West of the Navajo reservation. I take a 50-mile loop from the Sunset crater visitor center down to Wupatki National Mounment and up to the interstate and back to the visitor center. I have done this ride maybe 5 times since my sister moved out to that area (off the grid). If you do the loop early mornings you can do eveything but the last stretch of interstate without seeing a single car. The serenity is overwhelming and the countryside awe-inspiring, with views of the painted desert stretched out before you, punctuated with rock formations and ancient ruins. Few stretched of road have ever cleared my mind like this one.

that ride is definitely going into my to-do list.
    thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=berts]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Super_Socks
    One of my favorite all-time rides is just to the West of the Navajo reservation. I take a 50-mile loop from the Sunset crater visitor center down to Wupatki National Mounment and up to the interstate and back to the visitor center. I have done this ride maybe 5 times since my sister moved out to that area (off the grid). If you do the loop early mornings you can do eveything but the last stretch of interstate without seeing a single car. The serenity is overwhelming and the countryside awe-inspiring, with views of the painted desert stretched out before you, punctuated with rock formations and ancient ruins. Few stretched of road have ever cleared my mind like this one.

that ride is definitely going into my to-do list.
    thanks
    He certainly paints a good "word picture" sounds a great ride !
    :D
    dont worry be happy ????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    You mean like the 20 miles I rode on this trail this morning?

That quite a nice trail.....I would ride that every day.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats more like a Motorway!! you want to get off road and take in a few hills.Both pictures are taken on our local hills, but the one with the pylons has the track showing as a white line meandering across the hill, and the one of the Tandem shows how uncomfortable a saddle can be after 20 miles

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Thats more like a Motorway!! you want to get off road and take in a few hills.Both pictures are taken on our local hills, but the one with the pylons has the track showing as a white line meandering across the hill, and the one of the Tandem shows how uncomfortable a saddle can be after 20 miles
    You don't knock my trails and I won't knock yours.

Agreed!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DnvrFox
    You don't knock my trails and I won't knock yours.

Agreed!
    Not knocking your trails and in fact, seeing some of the rides you have done, I can understand why you want a smoother flatter ride occasionally. I am still in the fitness level that means that I want a more exhilorating and challenging ride, so that is the type of trail that I ride each week. Mind you, the pilot on the Tandem would have enjoyed a flatter smoother ride on that day, as he really was in trouble by the 20 mile mark.
    For those dream rides, just get away from the normal roads and signs of habitation and listen to the Pigeons coughing away with the pollution coming from the Farmers tractors, which is about the only sound we get on the hills nowadays.

(Edit) Not going to be that cruel but you should see the picture of the pilot at the finish. He was completely finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eastern Washington. From the rolling wheat fields of the Palouse, rivers and mountains, high plains desert all within 25 miles of old Spokane.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mackinac Island, Michigan. The most sacred spot in the Great Lakes for the Native Americans. Settled by French voyageurs, captured by the British, then the American rebels, the British again, and finally American tourists took over. An 18th century fort, Victorian "cottages", the Grand Hotel, wierd rock formations. Best of all--no cars allowed, and they never have been. There are bikes for rent everywhere, including tandems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast