User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Bike!! Need new saddle

Just took delivery on a new Trek 7500FX. Great bike!!! Fast for a hybrid. Upped my average speed 2.1 mph and wasn't even trying to go faster. Once I get used to the bike and get it setup the way I want, think the mph will increase some more.

The LBS ordered the bike with regular brakes, but received the bike with disc brakes. Sold it to me without charging for them. Never used disc brakes before, so will have to see if I like them.

Anyway, the saddle that came on the bike is tiny and HARD - and my butt lasts only 30-45 minutes before complaining loudly (I'm 225# and the current saddle just doesn't give enough support). I've got a gel seat on my Mtn. Bike and like it a lot and want to put one on the Trek. Has anyone had any experience with the Terry Liberator saddles? Any other suggestions from folks using road bike gel saddles?

Thanks for your input!!

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

My Bikes
    Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Terry Liberator. I've been riding it about a month, several times a week, and it's getting more comfortable all the time. I put it on my Trek 7200. I'm overweight (but losing since I started commuting ) and I find it more comfortable than the wider saddle that came on my bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks B-17

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookinUp
    Anyway, the saddle that came on the bike is tiny and HARD - and my butt lasts only 30-45 minutes before complaining loudly (I'm 225# and the current saddle just doesn't give enough support). I've got a gel seat on my Mtn. Bike and like it a lot and want to put one on the Trek. Has anyone had any experience with the Terry Liberator saddles? Any other suggestions from folks using road bike gel saddles?

Thanks for your input!!
    I was going to say give the saddle a chance to bed in but at 225 it going to. Lots of saddle problems on the tandem where I sit down for longer periods and I am only 150lbs. Cure was to go to a wider saddle, but forget about gell. Fine for a couple of hours but then is uncomfortable. I went to a Selle Italia trans -am with the cutaway for the pelvic bone. Then my co-rider on the Tandem stole it and I had to buy a new one, after running through all my range of saddles in the garage. Got another trans-am and comfort again. Problem is, and don't spread it around, I got the womans version, and that is definitely the way to go, at least for me. Hate to say it, but I found the terrys saddle too wide for me on the nose of the saddle. It caused chaffing in the crutch.

Roadie
    My Bikes
    kestrel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    one man's meat another man's poison.
    i also have been looking around for the last 6 mos or so - tried fizik nisene, bontrager and finally sella italia flite ti. the fizik is rounded and that was a disaster for me, the bontrager has a trough which was much better for me but the rear was a bit wide, finally the flite (got it a week ago) seems to fit the bill, it is flat and smooth which makes moving aft and foward very easy, it is narrow reducing chaf and so far no complaints.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brooks makes some saddles with more surface area that you may want to consider. Maybe something like a B67 for a bigger guy on that type of a bike. Wallbike.com will let you try and return Brooks seats. There are lots of different models.

I pretty much gave up road biking for 20 years because I couldn't come to terms with the seats. I've got drawers full of light plastic shell seats. Since I've started riding Brooks the seat is a non-issue.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney
    Brooks makes some saddles with more surface area that you may want to consider. Maybe something like a B67 for a bigger guy on that type of a bike. Wallbike.com will let you try and return Brooks seats. There are lots of different models.

I pretty much gave up road biking for 20 years because I couldn't come to terms with the seats. I've got drawers full of light plastic shell seats. Since I've started riding Brooks the seat is a non-issue.

I agree. I just put a B17 on my touring bike and after two rides am sold on Brooks!

My Bikes
    Trek 520 and Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phinney

I'll check out the Brooks. Just FYI, I'm not a guy, so I need a wider seat. Still leaning toward the Terry Liberator - I think Terry also lets you return (or exchange) saddles.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Trek Madone 5.2 wsd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might suggest checking out koobi.com website. Understand they're making a women's specific saddle. I have the men's enduro prs model and love it. They also offer a 30 day trial period with a money back satisfaction guarantee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try a spiderflex 2 pad seat, They are available online. bk