Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

what's a good recovery rate?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 06-24-05, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I checked my heart recovery rate at the end
of last night's ride for the first time. I pumped
a bit at the end to get it up and measured a
33 bpm drop in the first minute after stopping.

I read that a 1 minute drop of 12 or less means
you're in big trouble but what does a 33 bpm
drop mean? Is it just a relative thing that
will change as fitness improves or is there
some kind of yardstick/"rule of thumb" that
applies?

Is it dangerous to get a stress test?
Old 06-24-05, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't kept track of that in awhile, since I gave up serious training for just riding around, but from what I recall, the thing they used to look at closely was how quickly you got back down to 90bpm. My rate during activity used to go up to 170 or so, but I was always down very quickly.
If I were you, I think I'd keep track of it for a few days, maybe ease off a little bit on output, and see if the problem continues. Could be something as simple as overtraining or just a bad day for some reason. If you're concerned, though, it never hurts to see a doctor.
Old 06-24-05, 10:42 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recovery rate is an important parameter in determining heart muscle health, the higher the recovery rate, i.e., the faster the drop in bpm after exertion the better. I didn't check the figures but it sounds like you have a healthy ticker. Recovery rate improves with training.
Stress tests are not dangerous, in fact they are recommended and indeed required for certain insurance coverage.
Depending on the doctor's recommendation and the objective of the test, following an ECG (electrocardiogram), a stress test at 80% to 100% of max hr will be prescribed. Tests are usually performed on a stationary walker, walking rate is increased every several minutes until reaching the prescribed max. all the while hr is monitored. Sensitive electrodes pick up minor peaks not detected by the popular hrm's such as polar, etc. thus arrythmias may be detected.

hope this helped
Old 06-24-05, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclic
I checked my heart recovery rate at the end
of last night's ride for the first time. I pumped
a bit at the end to get it up and measured a
33 bpm drop in the first minute after stopping.

I read that a 1 minute drop of 12 or less means
you're in big trouble but what does a 33 bpm
drop mean? Is it just a relative thing that
will change as fitness improves or is there
some kind of yardstick/"rule of thumb" that
applies?

Is it dangerous to get a stress test?
A recovery rate that used to be widely promulgated was that on cessation of aerobic exercise, your heart rate should drop below 110 within 5 minutes, and below 100 within 10 minutes, regardless of the effort. I would say that a 33 drop in a minute is rather normal, but of course that also is variable based on the rate you were running on stopping. For example, the other day I was involved in an incredible hammerfest, and I recorded the highest HR average I have ever achieved on just a group training ride. I averaged 160 with a max of 180 (I am 65 BTW). With that high a rate, there was a tremendous drop in rate on stopping. On the other end of the scale, I can ride along at about 17-19 mph, and my HR will measure less than 110. When I stop after that kind of ride, I would not expect a 33 bpm drop-off in one minute.

Last edited by skydive69; 06-24-05 at 11:01 AM.
Old 06-24-05, 12:14 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I use an HRM and ride at around 140-150 for most of the ride. On occasions I get it up a lot higher than this, (Mid 170's)and do not then exert myself untill the breathing and legs come back again, generally around 140 and within a couple of minutes. However, for the last 5 minutes or so of a ride I cool down to around 120, but it does take a long time for the HR to drop to below 100. Perhaps this is because I am trying to clean the bike, or check it over, after the ride, but I also put it to a high resting heart rate that I struggle to get below 70.

You will know when you have recovered after exertion without the monitor, and unless this is an abnormally long time, is not something to worry about, or or read anything into.
Old 06-24-05, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skydive69
A recovery rate that used to be widely promulgated was that on cessation of aerobic exercise, your heart rate should drop below 110 within 5 minutes, and below 100 within 10 minutes, regardless of the effort. I would say that a 33 drop in a minute is rather normal ...
can you tell me what kind of fitness this "widely promulgated"
recovery rate implied? minimal? barely acceptable? decent?
Old 06-25-05, 09:14 AM

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclic
can you tell me what kind of fitness this "widely promulgated"
recovery rate implied? minimal? barely acceptable? decent?
That is considered good recovery, and one to be strived for.