Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   heart rate spike? (http://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/116232-heart-rate-spike.html)

Cyclic 06-23-05 09:56 AM

heart rate spike?

I've only had my heart rate monitor for a week
but it seems my consistent average rate during
my commute is 130 with the max around 155
on hills. Today everything felt completely normal
(good in fact) but the monitor said I had a max
reading of 222 !!!

Is this a malfunction? fibrilation? interference
from another monitor? (I don't recall seeing one)

I feel good, better than I have in years but wonder
if I should see a doctor before continuing with my
present exercize regime? What do you think???

glassman 06-23-05 09:59 AM

What heart rate monitor do you have? As far as seeing a doctor, you can't be too careful, it would not hurt to check

Cyclic 06-23-05 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassman
What heart rate monitor do you have?

It's a low-end Polar

p8rider 06-23-05 11:37 AM

Cyclic,
It sounds as though your monitor messed up a little. However I agree with HIHoSilver from your earlier thread that prior to planning to heavily exert your heart you might want your local Dr. to give you a check. I have not done so and feel fine, but because of HiHo's comment I am planning now to have this checked just for my own peace of mind. You might try wearing the monitor for a day to see if it screws up routinely.
Good Luck!!

p8rider 06-23-05 11:44 AM

My apologies to HiYoSilver I was just rereading his comments and realized I had gotten the name wrong. Perhaps a sign of old age?

berts 06-23-05 12:02 PM

go with your feelings - your brain knows when to tell the body to quit.
with that a stress test would be a good idea, i get one every year for insurance coverage in competitions.

skydive69 06-23-05 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclic
I've only had my heart rate monitor for a week
but it seems my consistent average rate during
my commute is 130 with the max around 155
on hills. Today everything felt completely normal
(good in fact) but the monitor said I had a max
reading of 222 !!!

Is this a malfunction? fibrilation? interference
from another monitor? (I don't recall seeing one)

I feel good, better than I have in years but wonder
if I should see a doctor before continuing with my
present exercize regime? What do you think???

It was a case of interference. It happens to me when I ride with a certain group with a lot of Polars - the signals get mixed up. It can be caused from any number of sources - I can guarantee you that it was not your heart - you would have known it. Every so often, I stop at the end of my ride to check my stats, and my MHR it somewhere around 225 - however, in reality, it did not.

Terex 06-23-05 02:32 PM

Ditto skydive's comments. I've got a Polar NV (former top end model). I record and download after every ride. Last week it started beeping away at 222 bpm as I pulled out of the lot. Some sort of electronic interference. It really messes up my scatterogram plot. To be safe, if it's reading high, stop and check your pulse manually.

stapfam 06-23-05 02:50 PM

I ride similarly on HR at around 140 to 150 and treat my max as as 165. However I can get my HR higher than this, just recently up to 179, and the highest recorded this year was 184. I know when I am doing 160, let alone 165 and I definitely remember the 184. That was time to get off the bike and get some air into my lungs that had just shrunk. A monitor spike of 222 must have been some interference, because a true reading like that and you would have known about it.

DnvrFox 06-23-05 02:56 PM

Put your fingers on your wrist and check it manually every now and then.

Litespeed 06-23-05 05:46 PM

You may have gone under some power lines (that will do it)

michaelnel 06-23-05 08:54 PM

Spikes like that happen often enough that the Polar "Precision Performance" software that came with my pricey S720i has editing routines to edit those spikes out of the recorded data once you've saved it to disc.

For me it happens with HR, cadence, speed and altitude.

Cyclic 06-24-05 09:35 AM

very glad to hear it's the monitor not my heart!

thank you

Garfield Cat 06-25-05 07:31 AM

My Polar monitor spikes consistently at one place, in front of the oil wells which have a satellite dish of their own for transmission of data. I think when its transmitting, then my monitor goes completely blank with zero's.

jtm 06-25-05 07:51 AM

My Polar monitor spikes in my Tacoma driving to a ride and also I have had spikes that come when I have done something stupid that would cause a severe crash-like 48mph around a blind corner with frost heaves leading into it and only way around was to lay the bike over and pray that I would be stopped by the gaurd rail instead of going over it and down, surprisingly the bike didn't double flat in the moment (next morning had them) and did go around. I thanked god and changed my shorts.

wfo 07-10-05 03:28 PM

Yup, every now and again you will get this mysterious feed back on your watch. I get them too.

Some foreign impedence unknown. It won't be the last time either. Though, if it happens regularly or what you may consider too frequently, it might be a bad transmitter. See your retailer or if you bought it mail order from say, Colorado Cyclist, depending on whe you bought it, they're pretty good about taking it in.

Otherwise give Polar a call on their hotline, see Polar's website. These monitors are great and typically problem/trouble free, but, are mass produced and suseptible to volume manufacturing issues. :eek:

Good Luck!