My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What "riding category" are you?......

By this, I mean, do you ride a mtn.bike-XC, Downhill, Trials,
    or a road bike--touring or racing (or whatever other categories there might be)
    or I guess, Cyclocross would fall somewhere in between
    and-let me know if I've missed one!
    I mtn.bike-XC, nothing too extreme, was better at it before we moved, but used to have lots more trails a lot closer to where we used to live, so got out and rode more often over more varied terrain-anywhere from very technical rocky areas to an area which offered lots of climbs and long trails for a good aerobic workout. Wish I was good enough to have tried trials, the people that are good at trials amaze me!
    May be purchasing a road bike soon-seems like I'd get more use of it in my new locale.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you missed the biggest category of all - FUN riding! I'd ride trails if there were any close, but what I have is civic bike paths and a nice winding road around the university lakes. I ride for fun, I ride for fitness, I ride occasionally on an errand, and I might ride a fifty miler on a weekend to a lunch in a nearby burg. I don't race (any form), never have, and I never will. Ain't me.

Frosted Flake
    The Land of Ice, Snow, and the Occasional Beaver
    My Bikes
    2004 Kona Blast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd call me recreational/practical. I picked up a new bike because the old one didn't fit, and neither did some of my pants, if you take my meaning. Originally, I wanted to do mostly trails, parks, etc, but now I find myself commuting about 20 miles a day and loving it. Nice to combine exercise with fuel economy. I wasn't sure how well I'd cope with traffic, but here if you pick your route carefully it's not bad at all, and MOST cage pilots are surprisingly considerate.
    It's either old age or I need more suspension...

04 Kona Blast (mine)
    05 Trek 4500 (hers)

My Bikes
    Not enough
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd call myself "ride what i feel like at the moment"
    Mostly a road bike - numerous models, often a cyclocross, have a MTB (rarely ride), and a unicycle!
    **Fate is a fickle thing, and in the end the true measure of a person is not fate itself, but how they master it**

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell, I'd call myself "old but not slow". Seriously, I'm a recreational/fitness rider. I ride for the health benefits, I like to go "hard" some days, ride at least 3 days a week shooting for 100 miles weekly. My "competitive" days are over. I just compete with my own mind. I also simply like riding for the fun of it.
    "...You ask me what I like about
    Texas? Well I'd tell ya', but we could
    be here...all night long."

My Bikes
    Lemond Buenos Aries, Gary Fisher Tassajara, Trek 4500, plus many more
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ride. Today was my mountain bike. I rode my usual 15 mile organized ride and then rode with a couple of other guys on a little harder course for an additional 18 miles. Tomorrow will be a road bike ride with someone that wants to do a triathlon sometime in the future. We will probably do a metric century. Or who knows, we both may feel lousy and not be able to leave the coffee shop only about 12 miles into our ride. It's all good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given my current physical/medical condition, I feel darned lucky if I can get on the bike at all - so many folks who are similarly situated can't.

Then I feel even luckier that I can hit 125 miles per week, which is about what I am doing right now.

So, I just ride for the pleasure and challenge, getting passed quite regularly, which is fine - at least I am out there to get passed. I generally ride one of two road bikes, but will also use the mtn bike, but not for true mtn biking, just casual fun stuff.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My main thrust is competitive cycling, but I just love to ride my bike!
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

My Bikes
    Cannondale T800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touring - one or two tours a year
    Recreational - 2 or 3 times a week
    Commuting - only occasionally now
    Shopping - to the bank, the bakery, the wine store, etc. I hate driving in this city.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a great question. I ride roads and trails, but I guess most of my riding is street riding or urban. I commute and am carfree, so the bike serves many purposes for me--basic transport, recreation, fitness, to name the main ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, me too. Ride the roadie, ride the knobby, it all boils down to one thing - FUN!

My Bikes
    2005 Soma Doublecross
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recreational / Fitness / Commuting for me. FUN is the most important part though!
    ---

San Francisco, California

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a roadie mainly. Light MTBer to keep up w/ a teenage son. Tandem rider w/ wifey on occasion. I ride easy when w/ my daughter. I ride hard w/ a small group of friends. When I'm riding alone, there's no pattern, that's why solitude is so wonderful.

My Bikes
    Trek 7000 and a Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonestar1
    Hell, I'd call myself "old but not slow". Seriously, I'm a recreational/fitness rider. I ride for the health benefits, I like to go "hard" some days, ride at least 3 days a week shooting for 100 miles weekly. My "competitive" days are over. I just compete with my own mind. I also simply like riding for the fun of it.
    That fits me to a tee.

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Road-Base training and lots of recreational organized events 100k's and 100 milers-5000 total miles/year
    Time Trials-10 miles on Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord, NC 9 times/year (you have to try one!)
    Trails-Leisure riding with the family to take a break from Road riding

And still enjoy my lifelong golf hobby 1-2 times/week........no wonder I can't get the house painted!

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2011 Felt Z4. :-)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word sums it up for me - Commuter/Recreational/Fitness/Roadie.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2011 Felt Z4

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like others, I am a recreational/fitness rider. For fitness I manage a nice little 6 mile ride, 3 to 5 mornings a week. For recreation I go on rides with my children exploring different areas of our city, (Winston-Salem) and sometimes just wander on my own. Being out on the bike is great. Yesterday I did my longest ride in several years going 29 miles over to Greensboro in 88 plus degree heat. Despite the heat the country on the backroads was beautiful

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fitness/Recreation/Fun, on a basic XC mountain bike. I've just returned to biking and I'm falling in love. In less than a month, I've gotten to the point where ten miles feels like a decent workout, so now I'll start shooting for fifteen. I like to bike every day, but the reality is it's about 5 x a week. Shooting for 2,500 miles my first year back.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ride for an hour and a half, 5 days a week, all on roads. If I'm on my SWB recumbent, that's 25 miles. If on the tandem recumbent with my wife, it's 22 miles. I ride local streets and roads, and some club rides on the same streets and roads. I like to ride faster than the slow club rides, but can't keep up with the fast club rides. I've been riding since last September, and have lost 22 of the 30 pounds I set out to lose.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a road bike, a full suspension XC mt. bike and an old hybrid that I've sort of converted into a hybrid/commuter/touring/urban/you name it bike. Sometimes, I don't make the decision as to which one I'm going to ride until I get down to garage and see them hanging from the wall. That decision may be as simple as to which bike best matches the riding outfit I'm wearing or which bike has the most air in the tires. You see, each bike is fun to ride in it's own way, so it really doesn't really matter which one I take out as long as I'm riding. Therefore, I guess to could put me into the "Fun and color coordinated" riding category.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mainly ride Mountain bike XC, but as these are the only bikes I have- the road rides are the same bikes but with slicks fitted. First there's, the solo. Small framed Bianchi with front suspension. Then theres the Fun bike - A full offroad Tandem. Great fun, slow uphill, very fast on the flatter bits and don't try to stay with it Downhills. Couple of other bikes in the garage, both mountain bikes but I have an old Bianchi road bike that is still in the process of being stripped and rebuilt. If I ever get it finished, it may save me changing to slicks for the road rides.

My Bikes
    2011 Madone 5.2, 64 cm, 180 mm cranks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a roadie. Most of my riding is commuting.

I still have a mountain bike, but seldom ride it anymore.
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

My Bikes
    Novara Randonee, Felt Z45, Marin Belvedere Commuter
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do commuting on a hybrid, Fisher Tiberon. Mostly I just go for a bike ride. Sometimes on the hybrd, sometimes on the road bike. (Giant)
    Bike riding Northern gentleman.

there ARE no bad rides
    My Bikes
    Gary Fisher Tassajara mountain bike and an Iron Horse Triumph road bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both road and mountain biking for me, although xc mtn biking riding is my passion. Stricktly recreational though. About five to six rides per week. My wife and I try to find rail trails all over the northeast to do on weekends and vacations, also.

My Bikes
    Ridley,Viner,Pinarello,Fuji,Javelin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Come on guys and gals, you're all too serious, and I may be off the trail from the original question, but two categories that come to my mind are:
    Category OF - Old Farts, and Category G - Geriatric.
    After all we are in the Fifty Plus forum.

Ride like the wind, and love it !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast