Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Crashed Today

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Crashed Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-05, 08:44 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Crashed Today

I crashed today for the first time on the road (fell off mountain biking a few times) I got cut off and tried to jump a really low curb. The front caught sideways and I landed on the sidewalk. I didn't slide far just sort of stuck on the concrete. I have some major road rash on my leg and a hole in my knee I guess from a rock. I think it's just pain, but man I'm getting too old to fall. The point of my post (beside hoping for some sympathy) Is WEAR A HELMET, my head swung forward and hit with amazing force as I attempted to roll. I would have had much worse injuries without my helmet. Well time for an Advil.
Old 07-02-05, 10:45 PM

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey, sorry to hear it. Heal fast. Buy a new helmet.
Neil
Old 07-03-05, 09:24 AM
Fluffy Piranha

Bikes: Beauty: 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker; The Beater: Timberlin Urban Express

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So glad you are intact enough to be able to tell us about your fall, Hoss. Thanks for the testimonial for helmets. Advil on! I guess where there's biking, there are falls. You'll be back up on the saddle soon. And all our sympathy for you. Rest well, and join us on the road when you feel ready. We miss you out there!
Old 07-03-05, 10:27 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you're not hurting too bad today hoss. Hang in there big guy.
Old 07-03-05, 11:17 AM

Bikes: mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you are OK - I've broken 2 helmets from crashes and wouldn't be without one. I can't believe some of the idiotic comments I've seen in some forums about not wearing helmets. Avoid one trip to the ER and you will be a believer.

Tom
Old 07-03-05, 12:44 PM

Bikes: Rans Stratus, Trek 1420, Rivendell Rambouillet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'Gad you're okay, at least sorta okay, after the fall. I agree wholeheartedly about the use of helmets. I wouldn't be here without one. Heal fast, and enjoy the Independence Day holiday.

John
Old 07-03-05, 01:43 PM
Berry Pie..the Holy Grail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great attitude, Hoss. Helmets for heads, seatbelts for cars...same thing. Maybe we should have a thread on least painful, best treatment for roadrash. Eventually, we all, as someone here wrote, examine the pavement closely....some of us more than once.
David.
Old 07-05-05, 01:47 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you feel now?
Add some good gloves to the equipment list. Sliding down the tarmack on your hands hurts too.
Joe
Old 07-05-05, 06:58 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
If you hit that hard, you should replace your helmet even if there is no visible damage. Check the manufacturer’s web site. Some of them have a reduced price crash exchange program. Hopefully there will not be a next time, but if there is, remember to tuck your chin to your chest when you roll (like they taught us in school in gym class tumbling) and you may not hit your head. It has worked for me. Good Luck.
Old 07-06-05, 07:41 PM
"Big old guy"

Bikes: Trure North Touring, Cannondale Killer V

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I’m feeling better, road a short ride today (about 25 km). It’s amazing how a little crash will make you somewhat tentative.

It’s a good idea to have a thread on treating road rash. The day I crashed I went to the Drug Store for supplies and the Pharmacist insisted that the best way to treat my leg was to put Polysporin (or similar) on it and keep it covered for 5 days/ She said people think it’s best to leave scraps uncovered to heal but they are wrong. I have been following her suggestions and I think it works.

As for rolling with your head tucked, it happen fast and I couldn’t roll, maybe not enough speed. I’m really a very good roller, as I was a varsity wrestler, when your being thrown through the air you learn how to land or die.

Thanks for all the kind wishes guys and WEAR A HELMET
Old 07-06-05, 09:01 PM
Burnt Orange Blood

Bikes: Trek 7200, Lashout Electric Bike, Raleigh Talon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that you're better and back in the saddle!
Old 07-06-05, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrannyGear
Great attitude, Hoss. Helmets for heads, seatbelts for cars...same thing. Maybe we should have a thread on least painful, best treatment for roadrash. Eventually, we all, as someone here wrote, examine the pavement closely....some of us more than once.
David.
That's what I told my wife today. We're not legally bound to as is the case with our youngest daughter, but it doesn't make sense. Yes, the wind blowing through your hair feels nice, but it ain't worth the risk.

Hoss, we haven't met, but I hope your recovery goes nicely. Great you had a ride today. 25K would be a long ride for me.