Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Resting Heart Rate? Whats yours?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Resting Heart Rate? Whats yours?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-05, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just before I had a heart attack mine was about 80 to 85. Now with the aid of drugs it is 55-60. However, blood pressure is the critical thing for me not pulse rate. After I the attack the hospital put me on cardiovascular exercise routines to exercise and strengthen my heart. The exercise bike was one, but anything that involves pumping the legs is good. The heart is very complex and almost has a mind of its own, pulse alone is far too simple to use as an indicator.

My doctor has a nice take on it. Once he was trying to check my pulse but couldnt find it. He looked at me studiously and said "Well the patient is still alive so he must have one".
Old 07-24-05, 02:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you ever checked your heart rate while sleeping? I took a nap today that lasted almost 1:20 and my average heart rate while sleeping was 57 and looking at the chart I was a little surprized. It was kind of normal but after 15 minutes it went down to 30 and was between 30-35 bpm for almost 5 minutes and then went up to 120 at 26 minutes into the nap and went down gradually to 1:05 in the nap to 53bpm and then fluxuated between 53 and 57 until I woke up. I was using a Garmin 301 and will repeat the nap test when I get my Polar S725. While not earth shattering, it was kind of neat to check out and was curiious if anyone else has used their heart rate monitor to check out their sleeping HR?
Old 07-27-05, 01:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
age 57 rest bpm 48, maximum 183 10 km TT PB 15.24
Old 07-27-05, 08:51 PM
TREK 2300 owner

Bikes: '04 Trek 2300, '77 Panasonic Touring Deluxe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 59 1/2.

My RHR has always been about 50-ish. Didn't matter if I was in shape or not, over weight or not, smoking cigars or not.

During my rides the most I've registered is 150 but I've never conscienously tried to push to any limit. One of these days I will see if I can get it higher. Right now I'm just getting back into my routine after a 7.5 mo. layoff. I'm riding 15 miles per day w/avg. moving speed of 16mph right now.

My goal is to ride a 25 mile loop I've got mapped out averaging 20-ish moving. When I can do that, I'm projecting I'll have lost about 20 or so lbs.

..rickko..
Old 08-07-05, 04:40 AM

Bikes: 1980 Univega; 1985 Ross; 1994 Trek 1400 -- all road bikes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 67, and my resting pulse rate before I heave out of bed in the morning is 48-52. I ride 30-40 miles a week. I weigh 192, 6'1' tall. I ride a 1980 Univega I bought new in San Diego for $200. My maximum pulse rate when I am cycling up a steep half mile hill is 122. It never seems to go over that, no matter how hard I go. Blood pressure is higher than it should be. I take a pill every morning, but it's still around 140/80. Tobacco raises it. Every time I have a cheap 80 cent cigar, it goes to 155/85. Every time I have a beer, it drops to 120/70. I never smoke or drink while riding, but I do listen to rap music on the radio. Rap music is a great way to get some cadence.
Old 08-07-05, 05:37 AM
Roadie

Bikes: kestrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one year ago summary results of a haltere (24 h monitor):
minimum: 28 bpm during sleep
average: 45 bpm
max: 165 bpm (did a 2 mile jog in the evening)
age 54
Old 08-07-05, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berts
one year ago summary results of a haltere (24 h monitor):
minimum: 28 bpm during sleep
average: 45 bpm
max: 165 bpm (did a 2 mile jog in the evening)
age 54

That sounds like you are doing great. I am 54 also. June 1951 seems like only yesterday
Old 08-07-05, 08:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just turned 50 and a couple weeks ago I checked my heartrate for the first time in many years. Resting HR is usually between 45 and 50. My maximum (tested on a treadmill) was 204. My Dad had similar heart rates, and I'm not exceptionally fit, so I'm guessing it's mostly a genetic thing. I haven't been able to figure out if these rates are good or bad. I have a physical scheduled this week, so I think I'll ask my doctor for his opinion.
Old 08-08-05, 11:05 AM
Rossy

Bikes: Trek 2300/Schwinn MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is 55 I am 53
Old 08-08-05, 11:26 AM
longtime noob

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL 6 // 1999 Trek 5000 // Burley Encore X

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
RHR currently about 46 bpm

Funny story: About 5 years ago, when I was extremely active in endurance sports (cycling/soccer/speedskating/etc) year round, I went to a doctor for a mandatory high school sports physical. When the nurse was taking my reading, she kind of freaked out and called other nurses/doctors into the room b/c my HR was under 40. I got a kick out of that...
Old 08-08-05, 11:29 AM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
With my physique nobody would guess it, but I weigh 300, and my heart rate right before lunch today was 55 (I was checking out my new HRM).

My resting heart rate last year at this time was about 50.

Within the next year, I hope to have a resting heart rate lower than my age. Probably a good goal for anyone. I am now 48 years old.

BTW - When I was in high school and weighed 154 pounds, My heart rate was about in the 60's, so lower weight by itself does not indicate a lower heart rate.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-08-05, 12:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgregory57
With my physique nobody would guess it, but I weigh 300, and my heart rate right before lunch today was 55 (I was checking out my new HRM).

My resting heart rate last year at this time was about 50.

Within the next year, I hope to have a resting heart rate lower than my age. Probably a good goal for anyone. I am now 48 years old.

BTW - When I was in high school and weighed 154 pounds, My heart rate was about in the 60's, so lower weight by itself does not indicate a lower heart rate.
That's a good RHR. I have to agree with you, weight by itself does not indicate a lower heart rate and I have not read any reports but my doctor said being overweight did effect my heart rate but people are all different and thats why a person is advised to consult a doctor before beginning diets or excercise programs. I tend to think HR is affected by diet, excercise, age, etc and my main goal is similar to yours, get a better heart rate thru excercise and diet. What HR monitor did you buy?
Old 08-08-05, 12:57 PM
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
That's a good RHR. I have to agree with you, weight by itself does not indicate a lower heart rate and I have not read any reports but my doctor said being overweight did effect my heart rate but people are all different and thats why a person is advised to consult a doctor before beginning diets or excercise programs. I tend to think HR is affected by diet, excercise, age, etc and my main goal is similar to yours, get a better heart rate thru excercise and diet. What HR monitor did you buy?
The one (and probably only) advantage to weighing over 300 pounds is that I get a lot more exercise on a 20 mile ride than the smaller guys.

I do ride and exercise enough to be considered fit at some level... except for the weight which is melting away, but it will take a while at a safe rate of 1 to 2 pounds per week...

The HRM I got was the Sports Instruments ECG3. I also have an ECG5, but the battery died, and I haven't found anyone local to change the battery and retain the water resistant characteristics. It actually didn't cost too much more to just buy a new one on eBay than to pay the $25 to ship the old one off to get the battery replaced, and the ECG 3 has everything I want. Which is a target range alarm, and amount of time in target range. And they come with the mount to help me to wrap it around the handlebar. After ordering, I did read somewhere that the down side of these are the short battery life, so maybe my next one will be a Polar.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 08-08-05, 05:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy my batteries for my Garmin 301 at Walmart. I discovered if I asked the girl in the watch area for 1 battery it was $3.25 but if I went to the end of the counter and picked up the packages with 2 inside, it was $3.68, which brought my cost down to less than $2 for 1.
Old 08-10-05, 02:22 PM

Bikes: Trek 5200, Pedal Force Carbon Project

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
64 RHR ( measured before getting out of bed each morning for a week, throwing out the high and low then averaging the rest ). I'm 49/ 6'0"/165lbs, have been riding 100m/week for 3 months and smoke a pack a day. Should be lower when I quit. MHR is 190, and I usually ride at 80-90% of that.
Old 08-10-05, 05:21 PM

Bikes: 04 Trek 2100, Ultegra, Koobi,Syntace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 50, decaffinated, non-smoker, take no meds 'cept for vitamins and supplements, and mine is 53-56 bpm average.
Old 08-14-05, 04:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
I checked mine this morning before I got out of bed and it was 56 and I am 54 years old. I am going to have to buy me a HRM because I would like to know what is going on during my rides. Does anyone have a HRM that makes a graph and how has it helped your training?
Hi Glassman, Polar Heart Rate monitors make an excellent S720 . The beauty of this monitor is as well as recording heart rate it also records speed, cadence and altitude. Takes a few minutes from a person who nows how to use it to show you then you have a new training partner! With this polar fixed on the bike , you can later down load it on to your computer and a nice graph will appear showing you your ride in relation to heart rate altitude ect....You can also wear the polar on your wrist whilst running! Totally cool product I have owned one for a year or so. It will great maximise your training making you a much better cyclist. hope this helps Suzy.
Old 08-14-05, 08:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by suzyultra
Hi Glassman, Polar Heart Rate monitors make an excellent S720 . The beauty of this monitor is as well as recording heart rate it also records speed, cadence and altitude. Takes a few minutes from a person who nows how to use it to show you then you have a new training partner! With this polar fixed on the bike , you can later down load it on to your computer and a nice graph will appear showing you your ride in relation to heart rate altitude ect....You can also wear the polar on your wrist whilst running! Totally cool product I have owned one for a year or so. It will great maximise your training making you a much better cyclist. hope this helps Suzy.
Thanks for the info, I have been using a Garmin 301 for a little while now and I won a Polar S725 with power meter a few weeks ago and I will get it in September, I will let everyone know how I like the Polar.
Old 08-15-05, 08:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took an Allegra on Friday and got home on Saturday and used my HRM to go on a 15 mile ride, I normally get up to about 167 but noticed as I was riding I got up to 172 and just thought I was doing better until I realized my resting heart rate was 75-80, it's been slowing going back down towards normal over the last couple of days but a google search confirmed my suspicions that the Allegra has side effects that raise blood pressure and elevate the heart rate.
https://info.umc.edu/askthepharmacist/index.php?id=972

I only mention this for anyone who may have high blood pressure and may not know about this side effect and could possibly be using this.