Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resting Heart Rate? Whats yours?

I believe I heard someone say Lance had a Resting Heart Rate of 34 or 35, I also had a friend who used to run 5 miles a day tell me he used to have a Resting Heart Rate of 40 when he used to run every day a few years ago. So hearing all of this in the last few day, I checked my Resting Heart Rate and it was 59. Does anyone know what the average is for people like us who are over 50? Is 59 good or average?

My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is 62, and my age is 66.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro
    Specialized Sequoia Elite

My Bikes
    Schwinn Super Le Tour, Specialized Rockhopper 05
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    68 bpm. Fat and out of shape - I'm fixing that.
    Joe
    Schwinn Super Le Tour
    Specialized Rockhopper 05

My Bikes
    a bunch
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    recently, mine runs between 42 and 46, usually - at 55 yrs ago.
    About 2 years, after a riding hiatus of almost 4 years, my resting rate hovered around 60.
    relative to what it was back some decades, inseason the resting rate was usually at 36-40.
    However, I've been told by well qualified sports physios that the resting heart rate alone, is not a full indication of 'fitness'.
    I did find (and confirmed by same sports physios) that variances in the resting rate are a good base indication of the current 'stress' status of the body. Meaning an elevated rest rate indicated that my body hadn't fully recovered from some prior 'effort' and that taking some time off or just having an easy 'day' was called for.
    A much better indication of general fitness would be the heart rate under effort, both steady and 'heavy' and finally the max heart rate that one can attain.
    Whereas in the 20s and 30s hitting 200+ BPM was not hard, but now hitting even 170+- takes a huge effort and clearly indicates that I'm about to 'blow up'. Back 2 years, when I started riding regular again, I could barely muster 155 to 160 bpm.
    Anyway, always an interesting topic, and hoping to read other's thoughts on 'fitness' and aging in this forum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I checked mine this morning before I got out of bed and it was 56 and I am 54 years old. I am going to have to buy me a HRM because I would like to know what is going on during my rides. Does anyone have a HRM that makes a graph and how has it helped your training?

Berry Pie..the Holy Grail GrannyGear's Avatar
    Weaving thru the cowpud outside Modesto CA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been riding some but "not regularly" lately.....resting rate is 60 at age 58. I recall reading somewhere/sometime that 72 was some sort of average.....but that seems high relative to mine and what's been posted so far.
    David.
    ..... "I renewed my youth, to outward appearance, by mounting a bicycle for the first time." Mark Twain, Speeches

Now with racer-boy font! Moonshot's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Tuscany, Trek 5500, Breezer Storm, Bianchi road bike (fixed)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    72 bpm, just like Uncle Sam.

I'm not overweight and I'm a fast rider for my age (43). My max heartrate is 190 though which is unusual for my age.

My Bikes
    2011 Madone 5.2, 64 cm, 180 mm cranks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was 32, sedentary and a smoker, my resting heart rate was 72. That's when I started riding regularly, and over the years it has come down steadily. One milestone was when it passed 60. Now, at 50 years old and riding about 4000 miles every year, it is flirting with 50. On some mornings when I am well rested, it is about 48. On other mornings, especially after a ride the day before, it is around 55. Resting heart rate seems to be one general indicator of fitness, but I would not read too much into it.

By the way, the highest I ever experienced was 184 at the top of a hill during a local time trial. I was 48 at the time.
    JavaMan!
    Faster than a speeding moped!
    More powerful than the Santa Ana winds!
    Able to bunny-hop railroad tracks in a single bound!

My Bikes
    Cervelo Soloist / Cervelo P3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I'm well-rested, hydrated, etc. then my resting pulse rate is in the mid 40s. Max HR seems to vary a bit by sport. highest I've seen on a bike is 185. I'm a cross-country ski racer in the winter and skating up a long steep hill I've hit 190 a few times last season, and got as high as 196 a few years ago. Pulse at race pace is in the mid to upper 170s for bike/ski/running races up to 2 hours or so. I'm 45.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisesposito
    If I'm well-rested, hydrated, etc. then my resting pulse rate is in the mid 40s. Max HR seems to vary a bit by sport. highest I've seen on a bike is 185. I'm a cross-country ski racer in the winter and skating up a long steep hill I've hit 190 a few times last season, and got as high as 196 a few years ago. Pulse at race pace is in the mid to upper 170s for bike/ski/running races up to 2 hours or so. I'm 45.
    Highest HR on the bike as seen recently was 174, so why is it down at the Gym I struggle to get past 150? That is at an age of 58, and On the bike rides I try to ride between 145 and 150 and treat a max as 165.Still go above that when I have to, but I definitely know when I have hit 165.
    Resting heart rate- I take with a pinch of salt. If I completely relax, do nothing-feet up on the sofa for 20 minutes or so It may drop to just over 60. However I prefer to see what the HR is after doing some relaxing at the computer, walking round the garden, or just relaxing normally. Until recently, this hovered around the 80 mark, but for about 6 weeks it has been dropping to 68/70. That is what I term a resting heart rate, Not the false one where the body is doing absolutely nothing to get the darn thing lower.

My Bikes
    Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    58 bpm sitting here at the computer.

FYI, someone was telling me that at their gym they check your fitness level by having you lay down for a few minutes then they take your pulse and ask you to stand. They then take your heart rate while standing. The smaller the difference, the more fit you are. Anyone know about that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was talking to a guy today, not a cyclist that said he believed that every heart had just so many beats in it and that hard excercise used up those beats, he said moderate excercise was good but hard excercise worked the heart too much....I have not heard that theory before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glassman
    I was talking to a guy today, not a cyclist that said he believed that every heart had just so many beats in it and that hard excercise used up those beats, he said moderate excercise was good but hard excercise worked the heart too much....I have not heard that theory before.
    Sounds like an excuse not to exercise too hard!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding today and stopped at my local fire station to refill my water bottle and was talking to one of the paramedics who said the average person had a resting heart rate of 80-100. I told him about Lance Armstrong and his RHR and he said if they were called out and a person had a heart rate that low, they would probably give him a shot. He also said they are trained to look at other signs because athletes or people who excercise a lot have lower heart beats. So I guess we are all healthy with our heart rates.

Jim Shapiro
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Imola (road), Bianchi Axis (general), Centurion Elite RS (fixed gear), Centurion Elite GS (lunch rides at work), Miyata (work in progress), Trek 7000 (mountain biking)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Several years ago I had my resting heart rate taken for a baseline EKG and it was 40, but that was lying down and I almost fell asleep. These last two weeks I have been monitoring my blood pressure and heart rate twice daily per my nursey wife's insistence and the rate averages around 52 (I'm 64 years old).

This from one of the web sites that addresses this kind of thing -- "The heart beats about 60 to 80 times a minute when we're at rest."

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess average depends on which web site we visit.
    http://btc.montana.edu/olympics/physiology/cf01.html

says between 70-80

I am going to say between 60 -100 is average

As long as mine keeps beating, I think I will be happy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took mine last night; it was 48 but it usually varies from there to about 52-54. I'm knockin' on 60 in a few weeks and have been back in cycling about 2.5 months. Legs are just now getting into good shape...I thank God for getting back into it. Also, RHB should be taken when you wake up in the morning but before you have moved around.

Steve, Liz and Gumbeaux the wonder dog!

My Bikes
    Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Cervelo P2C/Duraace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    48 bpm at age 52

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was riding today and stopped at my local fire station to refill my water bottle and was talking to one of the paramedics who said the average person had a resting heart rate of 80-100. I told him about Lance Armstrong and his RHR and he said if they were called out and a person had a heart rate that low, they would probably give him a shot. He also said they are trained to look at other signs because athletes or people who excercise a lot have lower heart beats. So I guess we are all healthy with our heart rates.
    Raised this point point with The nurses when I had my Bypass a few years ago. They looked at a resting rate of around 70 to 80. By resting they classed it as someone who had just walked around ror a while, and they measured after 5 minutes of sitting down. When I had the heart problem, they guessed it was a heart problem because my HR was below 50, so on went the ECG to confirm it. Then there is the case of a mate who died on a bike ride. His resting HR by pulse measurement was always around 60, He could get his HR up by exercise,and he could ride me into the ground, but could never get it above 140. Then one night the heart just stopped.

Stop the dismal bit. We are all different. There are those of us that have the heart rate of Lance. There are others that put a lot of effort into getting the HR up way above what our doctors say it should be.I am just happy that mine is still beating- Providing it does not give me any more spells in Hospital.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam
    Raised this point point with The nurses when I had my Bypass a few years ago. They looked at a resting rate of around 70 to 80. By resting they classed it as someone who had just walked around ror a while, and they measured after 5 minutes of sitting down. When I had the heart problem, they guessed it was a heart problem because my HR was below 50, so on went the ECG to confirm it. Then there is the case of a mate who died on a bike ride. His resting HR by pulse measurement was always around 60, He could get his HR up by exercise,and he could ride me into the ground, but could never get it above 140. Then one night the heart just stopped.

Stop the dismal bit. We are all different. There are those of us that have the heart rate of Lance. There are others that put a lot of effort into getting the HR up way above what our doctors say it should be.I am just happy that mine is still beating- Providing it does not give me any more spells in Hospital.
    Did the Doctors say what was wrong with your friends heart or why it stopped? It sounds like he was doing what he could to get it in the best shape. I went into 2 drug stores today and used their machines to check my blood pressure and heart and it was 57 on one machine and 51 on the other with blood pressure normal. I guess I should be looking at max heart rate since your friend was only able to get to 140 since that may be a signal to check for...

My Bikes
    Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I heard someone say Lance had a Resting Heart Rate of 34 or 35, I also had a friend who used to run 5 miles a day tell me he used to have a Resting Heart Rate of 40 when he used to run every day a few years ago. So hearing all of this in the last few day, I checked my Resting Heart Rate and it was 59. Does anyone know what the average is for people like us who are over 50? Is 59 good or average?
    Mine is 41 - I am 65. Lance's is 32. Although low basal resting heart rate (heart rate after awakening) is typically considered a measure of conditioning, it does not necessarily always hold true. For example, when Jim Ryun held the mile world record at 3:51.1, his resting heart rate was in the 70's.
    www.brokennecktobrokenrecords.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was consistently in the 38-42 range until I was in my mid-50s, when I went into atrial fibrillation. Now (age 60) it's controlled by medication, so it runs about 70. The meds also limit my max rate--I can't get it above about 120 no matter what. I feel fine up to that point, but if I try to push harder, there's nobody answering the throttle.
    It's sort of a kick doing a treadmill test, though. My AVERAGE rate is good, but because the beat itself is irregular, the reading on the monitor is wildly erratic. It will read 72, 58, 110, 84, 190, 72 . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm 54 and my morning rate runs between 42 and 48. Partly, it's genetics as my father had a relatively low rate and never exercised. However, I have averaged over 5500 miles/year for 23 years, so that might help, too.

My lowest rates come about 10:00 in the morning and used to drop below 40, though not in recent years.
    Dennis T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After getting up and having a cup of strong coffee this morning, it was about 54 - my age. My Tanita thumb-sensor heart rate dealie died and I've got to get it a new battery. Then I'll check while still "resting". HR is much lower since starting riding last Sept., and my recovery rate (beats dropped per minute after cessation of exertion) keeps increasing. I've read that this is a much better indication of fitness, but I've had problems finding a comparable standard. My Polar says, maybe, 35 bpm (e.g., from 160 to 125 bpm), but I've read that other studies have measured the drop in the second minute only. I will do some research. All I know is that it's nice to be able to rev the old engine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From this discussion I have a question, how long should it take for the heart to return to normal after hard excertion?

I read this and found it interesting too
    http://www.polarusa.com/consumer/coa...ID=139&CatID=3
    Last edited by glassman; 07-08-05 at 09:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast