Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the pecking order...

for brakes. I have used cantis for the past few years and would a upgrade to V brakes be worth the effort. Thanks...have a great day...it's a rainy day in Louisiana so no riding today.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 1-speed with basket & fenders
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raining on me in LA too, so here's my advice (not worth but what you're paying for it..): V-brakes aren't a worthwhile upgrade from cantis. If you want improved performance go to a front disc. A rear disc is fine, but the existing cantis are probably adequate. If you're doing road or mild downhill, a mechanical disc is fine. If you're a serious decender, hydraulic disc is the way to go. The hydraulic gives more mechanical advantage at the lever, and provided you don't boil the fluid, (unlikely in LA), more resistance to fade.

Good luck!

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V-brakes are a huge improvement over canti's (at least they were to me). I have Avid's and love 'em. Real easy to set up and adjust, much better stopping power than canti's. Though I had a shop owner once tell me he could set up canti's to just about match the power V's. I never could though.
    The switch to V brakes was worth it to me.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    V-brakes are a huge improvement over canti's (at least they were to me). I have Avid's and love 'em. Real easy to set up and adjust, much better stopping power than canti's. Though I had a shop owner once tell me he could set up canti's to just about match the power V's. I never could though.
    The switch to V brakes was worth it to me.
    Freeranger speaks from experience - I speak only from hearsay and what I've read. I'd trust his opinion over mine!

My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FarHorizon, you are correct in that disc brakes are the tops. Discs offer better modulation, work much better in wet and muddy conditions, and do not wear the rim as will canti's or V's. For riding where it isn't too wet or muddy, a quality set of V's are plenty and definitely more powerful than canti's. I guess it depends on the V's also-really like my Avid's, have worked on bikes with Tektro's that didn't seem that much better that a good set of canti's.
    If you ask me if discs were a worthy upgrade over V's, I have said yes to that also. If I were racing, or rode a lot in wet or muddy conditions, I'd have discs (most likely Avid mechs-seem less problem prone than hydraulic).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger
    FarHorizon, you are correct in that disc brakes are the tops. Discs offer better modulation, work much better in wet and muddy conditions, and do not wear the rim as will canti's or V's. For riding where it isn't too wet or muddy, a quality set of V's are plenty and definitely more powerful than canti's. I guess it depends on the V's also-really like my Avid's, have worked on bikes with Tektro's that didn't seem that much better that a good set of canti's.
    If you ask me if discs were a worthy upgrade over V's, I have said yes to that also. If I were racing, or rode a lot in wet or muddy conditions, I'd have discs (most likely Avid mechs-seem less problem prone than hydraulic).
    It does all depend on the type of riding you do. Mainly road work then stay with cantis, unless You are finding they are not man enough. Offroad crosscountry with lots of milage and hills, then definitely go for "V"'s. They are more effective, but watch out for rim wear after a couple of years. I Buy new wheels about every 18 to 24 months and that is rim wear that is the problem.
    Now Hydraulic Disc brakes are the ultimate, Exspecially if you go for one of the high end Manufacturers. Whether they are worth it is debatable, as you have to be aggressive on the downhills, be able to put up with a little bit of drag from the brakes, and have the money to have bought them in the first place.
    I have 3 bikes, the 2 XC solo mountain bikes have "V" brakes and they work fine. I do have Disc brakes but they are on the Tandem, and I only changed to them From "V"'s due to the style of riding we Developed into. Long distance XC with plenty of hills, and Worn out rims in 6 months. The cost side of Discs does not stop at the units themselves, if it is an upgrade you are looking at. It will cost new wheels aswell to be able to take the disc's, and the frame and Forks must have the mountings welded onto them in the first place. (Bolt on fixings do work loose). Far better is to look at your next Bike having discs fitted, but only if your style of riding or rim wear warrants them.

Whats Rain? It seems to be giving us a miss in the S.E.Corner of the UK. Drought warnings are imminent, so I,d better fill the pool up while I am allowed to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sort of iffy on this question, because I can't tell a significant difference between V brakes and cantis with good aftermarket pads. I wonder if people who see a big improvement are feeling the effects of the more expensive pads that come with high-end V brakes over the OEM pads on their old cantilevers. My road bike, an Atlantis, has cheap Shimano cantis on it, and on the way to an upgrade, I decided to try $10 worth of Matthauser pads instead. It really improved the feel and modulation.
    Depends on what you want the brakes to do, too. They're not often used to stop a bike dead, so modulation and a delicate "touch" may be more important than all-out screech power, especially off the road.

In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V-brakes have been an improvement for me--but the guy at my LBS says my mid 1980s bike had cantis that kind of sucked, even then.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    V-brakes have been an improvement for me--but the guy at my LBS says my mid 1980s bike had cantis that kind of sucked, even then.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Could you repeat that, please?
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

Mississauga First Nation alwaysbefirst's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2004 Trek 1200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why don't you ride in the rain? You might like it.
    2004 Trek 1200 my Red Rocket

"Finally, the last thing I'll say for the people who don't believe in cycling
    -- the cynics, the skeptics -- I'm sorry for you, I'm sorry you can't dream
    big and I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles."
    - Lance Armstrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info guys I might give the Matthauser pads a shot.

Senior Curmudgeon
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysbefirst
    Why don't you ride in the rain? You might like it.
    I like it just fine. My leather Brooks B-17, however, and the parts of my bike that'll rust don't like it at all!