Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I need to ride more...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I need to ride more...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-05, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have been riding my Lemond since early June, I have been riding my 15 miles daily and faithfully. I started riding with local club 2 weeks ago and we ride 20-30 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last Thursday, I rode 23 miles and averaged 21mph with a group of 9 riders. I stayed with them and I was proud and was even having thoughts I was like Lance. So today only 5 days later, I am riding 24 miles with 4 others, hmm they are riding just as fast but we take a more hilly route. We get about 4 miles from where we started and they are doing 23-24 and for some reason I run out of breath and had to let them go, I was able to pedal 19 and I kept them in site and they finished probably 1/3 mile ahead of me. I was dissapointed I had to slow down but I do not plan to quit and will be back there on Thursday. I am riding with riders that have been doing this for years and I feel like I am doing ok but I wish I could catch up to them quicker but I know it will take much longer.....Thanks for listening...
Old 09-13-05, 11:51 PM

Location: Alameda, CA, an island city on the edge of San Francisco Bay
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well I just started riding in July and I wish I could do anything even close to what you're doing after a short time, I'm incredibly impressed

besides, hills take a lot out of you, have you considered training on that hilly route to be more prepared for your Tue/Thurs rides?
Old 09-14-05, 02:05 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I am an experienced fit mountain biker, but last year I went out with a set of roadies on the road with my mountain bike and knobblies. Started OK but we do live in a hilly area. On the flat out to the hills, they went at a steady pace- 12mph and I thought this was drastically slow. Then we got to a slight rise, and 12mph for about a mile, this was better. Then we got to a 10-12% gradient for about 1 mile and that made me work, as the speed was 12 mph. Then the second hill-15% for 1/2 a mile- at 12mph and I lost the group and finished up about 100yards behind them. Then I thought the fun bit-2 miles of steadily downhill so I would be able to recover. I could recover OK- 12mph again. Then the next part was a few up and downs, not what I would call hills, but good slopes for 200yards, but the speed did not change- 12mph all the time. I did not enjoy that ride whatsoever.
I know that if I were to get a decent road bike I could stay with them uphill, but this particular group would not be for me, and road riding on a regular basis is not for me either. Persevere and you will soon attain the fitness that the others have, but you may find this group is not for you either.
Old 09-14-05, 06:29 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by glassman
Well, I have been riding my Lemond since early June, I have been riding my 15 miles daily and faithfully. I started riding with local club 2 weeks ago and we ride 20-30 miles on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Last Thursday, I rode 23 miles and averaged 21mph with a group of 9 riders. I stayed with them and I was proud and was even having thoughts I was like Lance. So today only 5 days later, I am riding 24 miles with 4 others, hmm they are riding just as fast but we take a more hilly route. We get about 4 miles from where we started and they are doing 23-24 and for some reason I run out of breath and had to let them go, I was able to pedal 19 and I kept them in site and they finished probably 1/3 mile ahead of me. I was dissapointed I had to slow down but I do not plan to quit and will be back there on Thursday. I am riding with riders that have been doing this for years and I feel like I am doing ok but I wish I could catch up to them quicker but I know it will take much longer.....Thanks for listening...
Sounds like you are doing wonderfully well. Even keeping them in sight is a tremendous accomplishment.
Old 09-14-05, 08:14 AM

Bikes: 1984 Peugeot P8; 2006 Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep it going Glassman. You may need to review your routine and ride light prior to a day where you know you will be exerting yourself alot.
I had been riding 10 miles each morning (pre-daylight) for most of the summer, but recently changed my schedule as I was preparing to ride my age during the birthday ride of Sept. 3rd. I decided that I really like riding in daylight and enjoy the longer rides I had begun as part of training for the b'day ride. So now I ride my 10 miles about 3-4 days during the week while on Sat. I will take a nice morning ride of 30-40 miles. If I ride the day before I just do it to stay loose with a nice medium heart exertion. I find I have much more energy both during the week on my regular rides and feel rested enough to do the "big" weekend ride. The result is that I am actually riding more miles each week. More miles is something I like and daylight riding in the country is a real joy.
Old 09-14-05, 08:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everbody for your replies, I love riding the bike and I guess I am just impatient and want to be where everyone else is right now. My daily 15 mile run has hills and I have concluded the riders yesterday are just better than me right now but there are no quitters in the 50+ forum and I am determined not to quit but to catch up to the rest....I am inspired by others in the forum like Fox who had the heart problems and tests and started riding again right after and remember reading about the guy Fox knew that was 85 and riding everyday. And Stapfam riding a MTB with with roadies, I know I am not in good enough shape for that. I will keep riding and reading the forums for encouragement and try to encourage others.